How are you dealing with the fact that there is no relevant trading to do?

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Tuco

Having been a professional sportsman, I'm a rather competitive soul, so I'm missing it - but still, I have lots of things to do - will be washing then polishing the car tomorrow, I've the oven to clean, grass to cut, gardening to do, windows to clean etc. etc. etc... :)
trad1ngbull

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:33 am
I understand that you might miss the adrenaline of trading manually, but adrenalin was the last thing on earth I wanted from this job tbh
Not at all. I worked for years to low my adrenaline levels.

If I trade with a lot of adrenaline, my performance will be really bad in the long run and the risk control absolutely over what I want.

Football and Tennis are sports full of adrenaline already and the correspondent markets full of adrenaline traders. My trading approach is to attack systematically that wide irrational behaviour. I try to make my daily trading sessions as boring as possible.

What I really miss is the preparation and the session itself. I like the kind of focus/concentration I get doing it. It's like a trance mode, but not in a accelerated or exhaustive way.

I honestly don't see it as a job or a hobbie and maybe that's why it feels strange for me right now.

Of course, this is highly personal and subjective, but I try to see and approach trading as a creative expression, not a tangible pure art, but a mental and an imaginative one based on strategy.

I can go years without trading, tho. I have a lot of other stuff to do that I really enjoy, some that I see more like work (or a job) and some that's clearly a hobbie. But what I'm trying to say is that I don't know nothing that gives me the same pattern of feelings that trading activity gives me.

Having said that, I am not saying that trading is above anything in my life, far from it. Fortunately, I feel much more strong emotions in other things and the ones that really matter in life.

However, I love the process, the trading "game" and all the mental challenges it creates.
ShaunWhite

trad1ngbull wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:37 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:33 am
I understand that you might miss the adrenaline of trading manually, but adrenalin was the last thing on earth I wanted from this job tbh
Not at all....
I get it, we all get comfortable in our groove doing our thing and enforced change is bound to be disruptive. Finding a 'new normal' often takes quite a long time. Hang in there :)
ShaunWhite

Diacritical Quark wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 am
in all honesty this has been a blessing in disguise.
These things often are...From the intro to yesterday's Moral Maze:

Danger and Opportunity?

The coronavirus pandemic has given the world a smack in the face. Sporting events have been cancelled, national borders have closed, jobs and livelihoods hang in the balance, the over-seventies will soon be asked to self-isolate and families are having difficult conversations about whether grandparents can be allowed to see their grandchildren. It’s life, but not as we know it. A cynical politician once said that you should never to let a serious crisis go to waste, and pundits are already suggesting that we now have an opportunity to re-think society. After all, in Chinese, the word for crisis is often interpreted as signifying both "danger" and "opportunity". Is it time to make changes that would not have been feasible without an existential threat hanging over us? Could we, for example, strengthen global partnerships, accelerate the shift to sustainable energy, think about a universal basic income or forge a new sense of community? Such ‘politicisation’ of the problem is appalling to those who just want to get through this ordeal and return to normal; they say it’s much too soon to conclude that free market liberal democracy has failed the stress-test. They are sure that, if we do the right things to protect the most vulnerable, it will soon be business as usual. Yet history shows that a major crisis can be a catalyst for crucial changes.
trad1ngbull

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:02 am
I get it, we all get comfortable in our groove doing our thing and enforced change is bound to be disruptive. Finding a 'new normal' often takes quite a long time. Hang in there :)
Thanks, ShaunWhite.

This topic is just to keep our conversation up to date. :)

We are not the real victims here, the people who died and his relatives are. And at the moment the hard and important work is from all health-related staff fighting day and night to save lives.

If the only thing we lose from COVID-19 is a few months of trading and some money, we will already be the lucky ones.
ANGELS15

Trader Pat wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:42 pm
My plan for tonight is to watch some of the horror movies that scared the crap out of me as a 12 year old.

The Omen and Salem's Lot :evil:
Salem's Lot was/is surprisingly scary for a 1970s tv production. It still kicks ass today.
ANGELS15

Trader Pat wrote:
My plan for tonight is to watch some of the horror movies that scared the crap out of me as a 12 year old.

Salem's Lot was/is surprisingly scary for a 1970s tv production. It still kicks ass today.
jimibt

ANGELS15 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 am
Trader Pat wrote:

i'll second that -oh, you already did :D
Trader Pat

jimibt wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:31 am
ANGELS15 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

The kid tapping on the window gave me nightmares for years, brilliant! :D
Emmson

I need to dig out The Thing and its sequel which is a prequel.
Tuco

The Thing was a great movie - I didn't know there was a prequel.
jimibt

might be time to dig out the best of the worst from the Razzies... or not!! :D
ANGELS15

jimibt wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:31 am
ANGELS15 wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

Yeah I've noticed occasionally when I post it dosen't appear to have submitted so I submit again and lo and behold 2 posts!
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:52 pm
might be time to dig out the best of the worst from the Razzies... or not!! :D
At a glance that looked like "time to dig out the best of the worst from the Razzles". :?
I haven't seen a copy of Razzle since I was too short to reach them from the top shelf!
Emmson

I definitely miss the buzz I get from trading cricket. :evil:

Tonight I will seek consolation in my 1st ever viewing of Weekend At Bernie's

Return to “Trading Psychology”