Unique Strategy!

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
rik

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:59 am
rik wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:54 am
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:31 pm
I reckon all but the very basic strategies and approaches, if you outline them on paper would be as unique as your fingerprints. For example, back the draw between 2.8 and 3.1, close on 27 minutes or after the first goal. How many people in the world would use that exact strategy? How many would have a very similar (e.g. 25-30 minutes) strategy?

I mean generally different approach not the exact numbers. Like you can tell on the inrunning markets its probably just 1 person making use of the cross matching as bets are always placed in the same way.
There will nearly always be somebody using a similar strategy. How similar or unique yours is is variable and quite hard to quantify.
well you can see whats being placed and matched so I can tell with some of what I do there isnt many people betting a similar way, one particular strategy I can say for sure noone is doing the same as it would only work for whoever is first unfortunately
Derek27

rik wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:10 am
Derek27 wrote:
rik wrote:

I mean generally different approach not the exact numbers. Like you can tell on the inrunning markets its probably just 1 person making use of the cross matching as bets are always placed in the same way.
There will nearly always be somebody using a similar strategy. How similar or unique yours is is variable and quite hard to quantify.
well you can see whats being placed and matched so I can tell with some of what I do there isnt many people betting a similar way, one particular strategy I can say for sure noone is doing the same as it would only work for whoever is first unfortunately
If somebody has a similar strategy to you he won't necessarily be trading the same markets. He could be trading when you're not, or trading a different horse. :)
Kai

rik wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:10 am
Derek27 wrote:
rik wrote:

Yup, being first will do it, although maybe others are trying something similar but are just too late. No real place to hide on thinner markets, would be a bit like a fat dude trying to hide behind a skinny tree, order flow traders would spot most patterns and other traders right away or eventually. One way you could tell for sure if you're the only one on the market at a certain time, if it's just you and say the market making bots etc.

I get the question though, something I've often wondered myself, just out of curiosity since it doesn't really matter in the end but it's fun to speculate. Don't think a unique/niche edge is necessarily a good thing to have, too niche could mean scaling issues, there's maybe good reason why others don't do it or don't try to reinvent the wheel etc.
Derek27

Thread's gone off topic a bit. ;)

Return to “Trading Psychology”