Trading for dummies

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.

Rate this post

☆☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆☆
6%
☆☆☆
19%
☆☆
6%
44%

Total votes: 16
Kai

Great (movie) taste there Gaz, same as with your avatar 👍

The bare awkward truth is, we all need some sort of validation at times and I'll happily shake the hand of the first trader I see that doesn't need it, but many of us have also helped and pushed others to full-time status so it's clearly not all about flexing one's wit for the sake of it and to feel better afterwards.

It's not all superficial and there is a big picture here, there's a certain camaraderie between traders similar to the one of soldiers where testing your wits against the market and yourself is akin to going to war. Therefore, I prefer to give credit where it is due, instead of instinctively trying to deny it and try to poke holes in arguments instead. I ultimately give credit because I respect my fellow trader, to me he is a battle-scarred veteran and probably deserves a medal or two.

By the way, some real talk for a change, this sense of camaraderie is exactly the thing that I liked about this community in the first place, even though I'm aware that I don't really belong here and don't really much left to do here either. Most of us are still not full on hermits and sometimes still enjoy this sense of belonging, which lest we forget is a powerful core human need.

And to stay on topic which is "reading between the lines", things are usually much simpler than they appear, when it comes to the community at least. Someone might come back just to settle an old score (fair comment, no?), someone might come back to help revive the forum after a difficult DDoS period (couldn't ignore Derek's plea), while someone else might quit out of seemingly political reasons (that would be a shame).

But there is no need for absolutist thinking here and no need for absolutes, so no real need to make big comebacks or dramatic exits. I'm pretty sure I can safely speak on the behalf of most people when I say that the forum will always be there if and when you need it.

And that's without all the newbie advice that gets taken for granted, I think the full-timers probably benefit the most since they can always get assistance on the more concrete stuff when and if they need it. So at the end of the day the forum is a great resource and it's there when genuine traders need it the most, it has proven that countless of times, twice in my case and I'd be a complete fool not to give anything back, anyone can pitch in for the greater benefit of everyone involved. Show me a better community with a better track record, I'll wait...

Enjoy your Sunday folks ✌
Trader724

gazuty wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMz7JBRbmNo
Are you good at chess? For me, it's still the most enjoyable game, although I don't have many opponents to match. It's interesting how for any situation you have a very limited number of smart moves available but in the end the difference is huge if you choose to do the ones that seem the worst in front of the opponent. When I was a child at school, that's how I managed to win against my teachers.
beermonsterman

Kai wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:41 am

The bare awkward truth is, we all need some sort of validation at times and I'll happily shake the hand of the first trader I see that doesn't need it, but many of us have also helped and pushed others to full-time status so it's clearly not all about flexing one's wit for the sake of it and to feel better afterwards.

It's not all superficial and there is a big picture here, there's a certain camaraderie between traders similar to the one of soldiers where testing your wits against the market and yourself is akin to going to war. Therefore, I prefer to give credit where it is due, instead of instinctively trying to deny it and try to poke holes in arguments instead. I ultimately give credit because I respect my fellow trader, to me he is a battle-scarred veteran and probably deserves a medal or two.

By the way, some real talk for a change, this sense of camaraderie is exactly the thing that I liked about this community in the first place, even though I'm aware that I don't really belong here and don't really much left to do here either. Most of us are still not full on hermits and sometimes still enjoy this sense of belonging, which lest we forget is a powerful core human need.

And to stay on topic which is "reading between the lines", things are usually much simpler than they appear, when it comes to the community at least. Someone might come back just to settle an old score (fair comment, no?), someone might come back to help revive the forum after a difficult DDoS period (couldn't ignore Derek's plea), while someone else might quit out of seemingly political reasons (that would be a shame).

But there is no need for absolutist thinking here and no need for absolutes, so no real need to make big comebacks or dramatic exits. I'm pretty sure I can safely speak on the behalf of most people when I say that the forum will always be there if and when you need it.

And that's without all the newbie advice that gets taken for granted, I think the full-timers probably benefit the most since they can always get assistance on the more concrete stuff when and if they need it. So at the end of the day the forum is a great resource and it's there when genuine traders need it the most, it has proven that countless of times, twice in my case and I'd be a complete fool not to give anything back, anyone can pitch in for the greater benefit of everyone involved. Show me a better community with a better track record, I'll wait...

I'm starting to appreciate the bigger picture with this forum nice words Kai
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:

Well said Kai
beermonsterman

Trader724 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:55 pm
beermonsterman wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:30 pm
Im saying nothing :D :D
Or at least until I've had a few beers and the tinfoil hat will come out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everyone knows what I mean, but I won't bother to argue with everyone. Whoever is intelligent enough will understand what is to be understood.
Sorry trader I only just noticed your reply I was just implying to my own post last week when I launched an attack on why this forum feels cold to newbies I ended up imploding shaking in the corner with my tin foil hat on lol although now I am starting to see what this forum is actually about and do see its value
reminds me of the saying if you know you know
and admittedly I'm usually politically incorrect so just my 2 pence as usual
Trader724

beermonsterman wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:07 am
Trader724 wrote:
beermonsterman wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:30 pm
Im saying nothing :D :D
Or at least until I've had a few beers and the tinfoil hat will come out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everyone knows what I mean, but I won't bother to argue with everyone. Whoever is intelligent enough will understand what is to be understood.
Sorry trader I only just noticed your reply I was just implying to my own post last week when I launched an attack on why this forum feels cold to newbies I ended up imploding shaking in the corner with my tin foil hat on lol although now I am starting to see what this forum is actually about and do see its value
That post gave me a great idea. 😁
Black Ladder

Trader724 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:10 am
beermonsterman wrote:
Trader724 wrote:

Theirs an abundance of great ideas here and newcomers are influencers to.
Trader724

Kai wrote:

Nice words, I'm starting to think you'd be a better coach for Liverpool than Derek. But then you will have have to put a picture of you as an avatar.
Trader724

Black Ladder wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:21 am
Trader724 wrote:
beermonsterman wrote:

Totally.
Black Ladder

Trader724 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:26 am
Black Ladder wrote:
Trader724 wrote:

Totally.
Just stay in the game, ignore the netmums and trainspotters.
beermonsterman

Black Ladder wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:44 am
Trader724 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:26 am
Black Ladder wrote:

Totally.
Just stay in the game, ignore the netmums and trainspotters.
:lol: :lol:
gazuty

Trader724 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 am
Are you good at chess?
I learned at around age 10 and played for a few years in the school chess club and had a few chess books. I moved school when I was 13 and that was the end of chess (which means without the structure and encouragement at school I wasn’t an enthusiast). I’ve played rarely since then (if we go on holidays and the house has a board maybe I will play a game with my kids). Really enjoyed watching the Queens Gambit.
beermonsterman

Trader724 wrote:
beermonsterman wrote:
Trader724 wrote:

LOL anything I do or say would very rarely create a good idea :D
Trader724

gazuty wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:49 am
Trader724 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 am
Are you good at chess?
I learned at around age 10 and played for a few years in the school chess club and had a few chess books. I moved school when I was 13 and that was the end of chess (which means without the structure and encouragement at school I wasn’t an enthusiast). I’ve played rarely since then (if we go on holidays and the house has a board maybe I will play a game with my kids). Really enjoyed watching the Queens Gambit.
My problem is that no one wants to play chess with me anymore, I noticed that in chess there are the most sore losers.
Trader724

beermonsterman wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:55 am
Trader724 wrote:
beermonsterman wrote:

LOL anything I do or say would very rarely create a good idea :D
Well I said great, not good, didn't I 😁

Return to “Trading Psychology”