When to know if it’s time to quit...

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Kai

OP asks how to address his weaknesses and 3 pages later the only suggestion is to use sticky notes.
jamesg46

JasBarrow wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:34 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:02 pm
For what it's worth I have one personality with many alters (I just didn't want to get into depth & it was easier to use multiple personalities rather than get into DID)

I think most people live through life with some form of DID. There are those that have alters to their personality specifically for social media. Those that answer the phone like they're the Queen but in reality are foul mouthed. Those that have an arse licking alter for their boss but tell their friends how much of dick the boss is and how they're going to give it to the boss in the next meeting etc etc.

Vlogs can bring these alters to awareness but of course for some they may be to perfect to start admitting that they may have some.

You have Dissociative Identity Disorder?
I do have alters. When I look around and watch peoples behaviour it's rare to find someone who doesn't. Confrontational situations usually highlight them well, peoples personalities suddenly become like chameleons, they sink into their immediate surrounding trying to find common ground with their supportive tribe, someone can go from Alpha to pack member in a matter of seconds.

Best one I've ever seen was a bloke I used to work with, I'd been working with him for 4 years and thought I knew him pretty well. One day we're walking through Tesco to get some beers to take fishing when I suddenly notice him walking with a bit of a limp, the words "safe bruv, wogwan" came from his mouth as proceded to do some secret hand shake with his mate that we had just bumped into.... I had never seen him do this before and as his mate left he instantly reverted to mean.
jimibt

Kai wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:59 pm
OP asks how to address his weaknesses and 3 pages later the only suggestion is to use sticky notes.
make that 4... :geek:
Kai

jimibt wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:03 pm
Kai wrote:
Come into my trading room...

Emmson

I don't use sticky notes but I do make observations in One Note.

If you're trading with scared money it will be uphill all the way, you have to detach yourself from your betting bank, easier said than done of course.
jimibt

Emmson wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:12 pm

If you're trading with scared money it will be uphill all the way, you have to detach yourself from your betting bank, easier said than done of course.
i kinda agree with this. if you are keeping half an eye on your P&L, then you are very likely to succumb to your knee jerk reactions. i had a case last week tbh where a few years back i would have done the same thing. i have a little strategy that lays the greys and at this point in time it was about 4-5 points down on the day. back then, i'd have pulled the plug. however, i just let it run as it does every day and it turned the corner and pulled in a small profit at the end of the day.

i find it better not to monitor too much unless BF is having a choppy day.
Emmson

I recommend Leila Gharani's YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJtUOo ... Ewii-R3cJA

She's all over YT with her tutorials on Microsoft applications. :D
zippus

jimibt wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:17 pm
Emmson wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:12 pm

i kinda agree with this. if you are keeping half an eye on your P&L, then you are very likely to succumb to your knee jerk reactions. i had a case last week tbh where a few years back i would have done the same thing. i have a little strategy that lays the greys and at this point in time it was about 4-5 points down on the day. back then, i'd have pulled the plug. however, i just let it run as it does every day and it turned the corner and pulled in a small profit at the end of the day.

i find it better not to monitor too much unless BF is having a choppy day.
Very good idea. I'm very much obsessed with my P&L and it puts pressure on.
zippus

Emmson wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:19 pm
I recommend Leila Gharani's YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJtUOo ... Ewii-R3cJA

She's all over YT with her tutorials on Microsoft applications. :D
Thanks! I'll check this out.
zippus

Kai wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:07 pm
jimibt wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:03 pm
Kai wrote:
Come into my trading room...

:lol: Looks like an advert for 3M.
JasBarrow

JasBarrow wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:02 pm
I do have alters. When I look around and watch peoples behaviour it's rare to find someone who doesn't. Confrontational situations usually highlight them well, peoples personalities suddenly become like chameleons, they sink into their immediate surrounding trying to find common ground with their supportive tribe, someone can go from Alpha to pack member in a matter of seconds.
Sorry man I dont mean to labor the point but you either have DID or you don't? It's sometihng you have to be diagnosed with.

Please feel free to tell me to mind my business and I wont be offended, I have a close friend who has DID so your post caught my attention.
jamesg46

JasBarrow wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:51 pm
JasBarrow wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:02 pm
Sorry man I dont mean to labor the point but you either have DID or you don't? It's sometihng you have to be diagnosed with.

Please feel free to tell me to mind my business and I wont be offended, I have a close friend who has DID so your post caught my attention.
My point was that I recognise my personality alters... & that "I think" most people live through life with some form of DID "without being concious of it".

You can be concious of altering personalities without a diagnosis, such as my passive aggressive personality, which was pointed out in this forum.

Personalities alter, that's probably why it's a good idea to take a walk to regain yourself after a bad loss. Or why the saying surround yourself with the people you want to become exists.

The theory that you have to be diagnosed is strange, people have cancer before they're diagnosed. The diagnosis is simply someone else making you aware of it.

I would imagine that it varys in severity and some people suffer negatively from it & others don't. Personalities can go both ways, I just think it's a good idea to Vlog and keep track, I'm not making any wild claims of me being personally affected, just that my personality alters and I think a lot of people have DID in some form or another,.diagnosed or not.
LeTiss

One piece of advice I'll give that helped with my demons, was to stake by 'tick size'

I found I was ruining good work by overstaking, and would also get nervous when I had large amounts in the market
Nervousness and a lack of confidence is a disaster in trading......you get bullied and you take greens too soon

By dealing in tick sizes, I found my emotions were detached from the money. I fancied my chances of getting more green ticks than red ticks, and so it made it easier to trade out for occasional losers without letting my disappointment override common sense.
zippus

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:20 pm
One piece of advice I'll give that helped with my demons, was to stake by 'tick size'

I found I was ruining good work by overstaking, and would also get nervous when I had large amounts in the market
Nervousness and a lack of confidence is a disaster in trading......you get bullied and you take greens too soon

By dealing in tick sizes, I found my emotions were detached from the money. I fancied my chances of getting more green ticks than red ticks, and so it made it easier to trade out for occasional losers without letting my disappointment override common sense.
That's great advice - much appreciated. Just so I understand. Would you stake more or less at lower odds? Doesn't that depend on whether your opening trade is a back or a lay bet? For example, I never mind going in heavier with lay bets at shorter odds (if I think the price is likely to rise again) but I don't like laying if the price is higher. [Obviously the reverse is true if you open at higher odds with a back bet thinking the price is likely to fall].
JasBarrow

JasBarrow wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:51 pm

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:17 pm
My point was that I recognise my personality alters... & that "I think" most people live through life with some form of DID "without being concious of it".

You can be concious of altering personalities without a diagnosis, such as my passive aggressive personality, which was pointed out in this forum.

Personalities alter, that's probably why it's a good idea to take a walk to regain yourself after a bad loss. Or why the saying surround yourself with the people you want to become exists.

The theory that you have to be diagnosed is strange, people have cancer before they're diagnosed. The diagnosis is simply someone else making you aware of it.

I would imagine that it varys in severity and some people suffer negatively from it & others don't. Personalities can go both ways, I just think it's a good idea to Vlog and keep track, I'm not making any wild claims of me being personally affected, just that my personality alters and I think a lot of people have DID in some form or another,.diagnosed or not.

Ok man thanks for explaining but I have to completely disagree with you. What your describing is fairly normal for most people, most of us will adjust our 'personality' depending on who we're speaking to and the situation we find ourselves in so comparing that to DID (also known as multiple personality disorder) makes no sense at all.

Return to “Trading Psychology”