When to know if it’s time to quit...

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Trader Pat

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:38 am
Yes, it worked a treat for me. We are all different

I have rushes of blood, I always have.

I found that reminding myself of previous fuck ups, gave myself a vital split second to think about what I'm doing

The last time I went IP after a bad trade was New Years Day 2008......I lost £2000, just because I couldn't accept a £20 red

I printed the sheet out and put it on my wall, to remind myself of the consequences of going IP

I went self-employed 6 months later and kept it on my wall for a good 6/7 years

I'm an example of how bad habits can be eradicated

Very familiar to me.

Worst example I can remember was having 11 winning trades in a row then a 13 cent loss and going in play to recover 13 cent and losing over €300 all because I couldn't accept a loss! :lol: I can laugh about it now but dark times in my trading career!

I eventually got there in the end but like you say you have to rewire your brain.
zippus

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:38 am
Yes, it worked a treat for me. We are all different

I have rushes of blood, I always have.

I found that reminding myself of previous fuck ups, gave myself a vital split second to think about what I'm doing

The last time I went IP after a bad trade was New Years Day 2008......I lost £2000, just because I couldn't accept a £20 red

I printed the sheet out and put it on my wall, to remind myself of the consequences of going IP

I went self-employed 6 months later and kept it on my wall for a good 6/7 years

I'm an example of how bad habits can be eradicated

This is exactly right and thanks for sharing. I've found automation to be a real help because it keeps me away from my phone and all the work is preparation and then letting them fly. All of my errors have come about through using my phone and going off piste and I've become much better now that I don't use it so much. I just have the occasional 'lapse' and it costs me every time. Really stupid and I know it's wrong but it's as if I never learn...
jamesg46

If you're asking how to know when then I genuinely don't think you're ready to quit.

Join the list for people doing dumb shit, a lot of us have been there.

Sticky notes are a great idea. Also I make a short Vlog at the end of every session to play back before the start of the next that briefly explains what I did good, the stupid things I've done & what I'd like to improve on.

I almost manage my emotions with a 3rd personality these days. Maybe plasticity will make it all autopilot one day but I think there is a real good reason why people Vlog and record their screens.
JasBarrow

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:33 pm
I almost manage my emotions with a 3rd personality these days.
What do you use your 2nd personality for and how many do you have in total?
jamesg46

JasBarrow wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:53 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
About 300 of them.
jimibt

jamesg46 wrote:
Also I make a short Vlog at the end of every session to play back before the start of the next that briefly explains what I did good, the stupid things I've done & what I'd like to improve on.
please, please, please post one of these - think it would crack a few up :lol: :mrgreen:
jamesg46

jimibt wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:58 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Also I make a short Vlog at the end of every session to play back before the start of the next that briefly explains what I did good, the stupid things I've done & what I'd like to improve on.
please, please, please post one of these - think it would crack a few up :lol: :mrgreen:
Here we go, turn someone else into your piece of entertainment time.

Vlogs are just a good idea that's as far as I'll go into it. Find someone else to pleasure yourself over.
zippus

jamesg46 wrote:
If you're asking how to know when then I genuinely don't think you're ready to quit.

Sticky notes are a great idea. Also I make a short Vlog at the end of every session to play back before the start of the next that briefly explains what I did good, the stupid things I've done & what I'd like to improve on.

I almost manage my emotions with a 3rd personality these days. Maybe plasticity will make it all autopilot one day but I think there is a real good reason why people Vlog and record their screens.

Cheers. The Vlog is an interesting idea. Will give it ago. I just have two personalities - the sensible, cautious one when things are on track; the second is the stubborn, impatient muppet that appears when things don't go to plan. (Having an entry / exit strategy that I stick to and automation will hopefully keep the muppet at bay).
jamesg46

zippus wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:22 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

Cheers. The Vlog is an interesting idea. Will give it ago. I just have two personalities - the sensible, cautious one when things are on track; the second is the stubborn, impatient muppet that appears when things don't go to plan. (Having an entry / exit strategy that I stick to and automation will hopefully keep the muppet at bay).
It's an interesting experience as long as you're honest when recording the Vlogs. Watching yourself back the next day after doing something really stupid can refresh how that felt & set your path for the day with a different mental approach altogether. Sticky notes probably work on the same principle but visually seeing how down you're in a moment or how up you're can hit home that little bit extra.

Good luck.
jamesg46

JasBarrow wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:53 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
For what it's worth I have one personality with many alters (I just didn't want to get into depth & it was easier to use multiple personalities rather than get into DID)

I think most people live through life with some form of DID. There are those that have alters to their personality specifically for social media. Those that answer the phone like they're the Queen but in reality are foul mouthed. Those that have an arse licking alter for their boss but tell their friends how much of dick the boss is and how they're going to give it to the boss in the next meeting etc etc.

Vlogs can bring these alters to awareness but of course for some they may be to perfect to start admitting that they may have some.
jimibt

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:01 pm
jimibt wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:58 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Here we go, turn someone else into your piece of entertainment time.

Vlogs are just a good idea that's as far as I'll go into it. Find someone else to pleasure yourself over.
sorry james, it was meant to be light hearted rather than vain and contemptuous. my bad if it landed that way!!
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:30 am
I was willing to try anything
Screenshot_6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesg46

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:21 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:30 am
I was willing to try anything
Screenshot_6.png
:lol:
JasBarrow

jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:02 pm
For what it's worth I have one personality with many alters (I just didn't want to get into depth & it was easier to use multiple personalities rather than get into DID)

I think most people live through life with some form of DID. There are those that have alters to their personality specifically for social media. Those that answer the phone like they're the Queen but in reality are foul mouthed. Those that have an arse licking alter for their boss but tell their friends how much of dick the boss is and how they're going to give it to the boss in the next meeting etc etc.

Vlogs can bring these alters to awareness but of course for some they may be to perfect to start admitting that they may have some.

You have Dissociative Identity Disorder?
jimibt

JasBarrow wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:34 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:02 pm

You have Dissociative Identity Disorder?
i think he said DID :roll:

Return to “Trading Psychology”