Panic buying

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:27 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:45 pm
Naffman wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:40 pm

So almost 2 years after brexit then? Why didn't this happen the day after?
Were they all rounded up and deported the day after?
Were they all rounded up and deported a week ago?
You can reduce NHS and ambulance crews, you may not feel the effects of it until there's a major disaster or something like Covid. That doesn't mean you can entirely blame the event that placed the demand. The fact is if we still had those lorry drivers we wouldn't have this particular problem.
Derek27

BJ says shortages and supply chain problems are part of the UK adjusting away from a broken economic system. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adjusting into more like!
Derek27

Don't worry about filling your car up, getting to work, UK farmers going out of business or empty supermarkets, the Environmental secretary has turkeys for Christmas absolute top of the list. :lol: :lol:
jamesg46

https://youtu.be/T1-oy0KlOnE

All down to Brexit obviously. Amazing how there is a shortage of drivers in the US too.... were all Europeans "rounded" up and sent back home from there too?.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:11 pm

All down to Brexit obviously. Amazing how there is a shortage of drivers in the US too.... were all Europeans "rounded" up and sent back home from there too?.
No, it's not down to Brexit or Europeans being rounded up. The guy on the next video said it's a combination of US consumer demand, China and Covid. One person testing positive on a cargo ship coming out of China holds it up.

The advice from the experts is to start your Christmas shopping early, which doesn't sound as bad as our crisis. Let's face it, if there was a fuel crisis in the US it would be world news.

Over here, people will be freezing to death in their homes because they can't afford heating but the Government's priority is to have turkey for Christmas. :)
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:59 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:11 pm

No, it's not down to Brexit or Europeans being rounded up. The guy on the next video said it's a combination of US consumer demand, China and Covid. One person testing positive on a cargo ship coming out of China holds it up.

The advice from the experts is to start your Christmas shopping early, which doesn't sound as bad as our crisis. Let's face it, if there was a fuel crisis in the US it would be world news.

Over here, people will be freezing to death in their homes because they can't afford heating but the Government's priority is to have turkey for Christmas. :)
So their shortage of drivers is down to consumer demand, China & Covid but our shortage is because of Brexit?. We didn't experience empty supermarkets that were probably restocked from reserves, an influx of online consumers bored at home or an upcoming festive spending spree. I also remember Covid was a thing here and last time I checked pretty much everything consumers bought came from China.

To put the fear up the arse of the everyday consumer even more China is having an energy crisis of it's own because they tried to punish the Australians and stopped buying their coal over human rights comments. Can only imagine the knock on effect coming down the pipeline from that in the coming months.

Then there is the Federal Reserve coming out and telling people that inflation is going to carry on into 2022.

All a perfect cocktail for a shit storm of festive panic.
Euler

I'm out of petrol now. I wasted my last dregs this morning trying to find somewhere within a 20 mile radius or so that had anything. Couldn't find it, so I'm now left with just 5 miles in the tank. Just enough to get me to the local station whenever that gets back to normal.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:31 pm
Brexit can be blamed to a large extent for the shortage of lorry drivers.
"Brexit can be blamed ..." I wonder how long that excuse will live for?

So did I miss Gexit, Polexit and every other 'exit' by other countries suffering from a shortage of drivers?

Isn't it about time Remoaners took a break and worked for the future, not carry on crying about the past. If you are not happy then do as we Brexiters did ... put up with it and work for a referendum to re-join (in 2056! :lol: )
Last edited by firlandsfarm on Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
firlandsfarm

LinusP wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:10 pm
You do realise you are the problem? Can’t believe you are being so open about it tbh :x

It’s a complete nightmare in Sussex.
How am I the problem? If you care to read my comment you will see that I only filled up at stations where there was no queue ergo no problem! And as for Sussex, I topped up at Ansty in West Sussex with no problem on my out journey and again at Maresfield on my return. Maybe you like to queue, it gives you a reward of martyrdom!
decomez6

greenmark wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:10 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:34 pm
One hour priority for key workers at the pumps, that's hardly going to be adequate!

They should just prioritise remainers since they didn't choose this mess. ;)
The factors appear to be long-standing exploitation of cheap European labour, reluctance of many industries to invest in training, covid somehow creating a 50000 backlog of hgv licence application processing at the dvlc and the media stoking a crisis for their own ends.
But the thing that strikes me is these issues were all there for the last 9 months. What has tipped it all into a minii-crisis? And it can only be the media's strategy right now. They can't resist ramping the emotion and misinformation up. It gets website hits, sells newspapers, harvests tv ratings.
We are only ever 3 days from anarchy. Certainly if the media don't act responsibly.
The left leaning media will prosecute their case against the right leaning media and the voter will make democratic judgement.

breaking point.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Naffman

Euler wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:08 am
I'm out of petrol now. I wasted my last dregs this morning trying to find somewhere within a 20 mile radius or so that had anything. Couldn't find it, so I'm now left with just 5 miles in the tank. Just enough to get me to the local station whenever that gets back to normal.
I'm probably lucky theres just been a petrol station a mile up the road that half of town don't know has opened yet :)

I'm really not sure what has happened to capitalism these days, why is it up to the government to fix every issue when all it really needs is these fuel companies to pay their drivers more. Maybe we rely on the govt too much, especially after the last 18 months where they've been paying most peoples wages.
decomez6

Euler wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:08 am
some drivers have been using traffic updates apps to help find which pump station got traffic building up. that way you can be sure to get some fuel , less you make a journey with not enough for a retun journey. very frustrating -need fuel to find fuel :oops:
footysystems

There is no panic buying in Manchester. Sainsburys always has some delivery every day :D
LinusP

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:11 pm
LinusP wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:10 pm
You do realise you are the problem? Can’t believe you are being so open about it tbh :x

It’s a complete nightmare in Sussex.
How am I the problem? If you care to read my comment you will see that I only filled up at stations where there was no queue ergo no problem! And as for Sussex, I topped up at Ansty in West Sussex with no problem on my out journey and again at Maresfield on my return. Maybe you like to queue, it gives you a reward of martyrdom!
You are the problem because you are not acting normally, you and the rest of the ***** filling up so that they have a full tank is the cause of the problem. If you can't see this then carry on, I won't be biting anymore.

Return to “Trading Psychology”