Panic buying

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Derek27

I'm usually too busy looking that the newsreader to listen to what they're saying, but the news channels have to report what's going on. If the world goes bonkers they have to report it and are always liable to accusations that they're sensationalising it.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:54 pm
I'm usually too busy looking that the newsreader to listen to what they're saying, but the news channels have to report what's going on. If the world goes bonkers they have to report it and are always liable to accusations that they're sensationalising it.
Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps it was not the media but the fuel companys and the RHA broadcasting their personal agenda. Ie we're unhappy having to pay more for drivers. But nontheless, the hysterical tabloid coverage has just ramped everything up and spooked the average person into over-reaction.
In the end it doesn't matter who triggered it. It's been an unnecessary inconvenience for a lot of people.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:24 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps it was not the media but the fuel companys and the RHA broadcasting their personal agenda. Ie we're unhappy having to pay more for drivers. But nontheless, the hysterical tabloid coverage has just ramped everything up and spooked the average person into over-reaction.
In the end it doesn't matter who triggered it. It's been an unnecessary inconvenience for a lot of people.
I was really responding to RRR's quote about Sky News. I only look at the tabloid headlines when I'm in the supermarket but I can imagine they would be stirring the pot of shit.

On Sky News a psychologist said it's not down to selfishness but the fact it's only natural to make sure your own family are safe and don't go without. If making sure your family doesn't go without involves buying a two-week supply of bog roll and filling your tank with petrol it amounts to panic if everybody does it.

A cognitive expert said the very word "shortage" has an overwhelming effect on people, and you can hardly blame the media for using it - what else do you call it? More worryingly, when asked what the solution is, she said, trust in society and the government, so we're all fucked. :lol:
Derek27

I'm not one for defending BJ as you all know, but when somebody says don't panic and everybody does the opposite of what's advised, how can you possibly blame the advisor for the panic. :lol:
paspuggie48

Oh dear...chasing a tanker for 20 miles to find out it was not a petrol tanker !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-58767230
jamesg46

Had a good laugh with a lady who works at the fuel part of Tesco yesterday.

It's not the joke section so I'll leave the humour out but I had to fill up so I drove to our local Esso who had bags over all of their pumps and cones all over their yard (I'm assuming that is their way of telling us that they're empty). The next station i usually use is Tesco so naturally I headed there next... when I got there I was suprised to see an empty (ish) forecourt with no bags or cones. I drove straight on, got filled up, no queue, no arguments, no hassle, stress or fighting.

When I went into pay I asked the lady if "she" had been dry over the past week (I had no idea where that question would take me over the next few minutes) but anyway, turns out that they had never been dry and deliveries had been as usual every 2nd day.... I'm assuming that garages will pre book deliveries and slots well in advance based off of previous consumption data so a smaller garage won't have as much traffic as a Tesco or Asda etc therfore smaller forecourts will be getting their deliveries on time it was always a bull shit crisis made worse by morons and their tvs.
Euler

There are only two petrol stations local to me and everytime a tanker arrives the place gridlocks as idiots drive in from everywhere to fill up. I still haven't filled up so I'm down to about 20 miles now. Thought things would have been back to normal a week later. Where are they putting the bloody stuff?
jamesg46

Euler wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:17 am
There are only two petrol stations local to me and everytime a tanker arrives the place gridlocks as idiots drive in from everywhere to fill up. I still haven't filled up so I'm down to about 20 miles now. Thought things would have been back to normal a week later. Where are they putting the bloody stuff?
Probably in the 4th car that never gets used.
Dallas

Euler wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:17 am
There was a woman on the news the other day that had filled up with just over £200 of fuel, that included a boot full of several jerry cans, when asked by the reporter if some was for anyone else ie, other carer staff her reply was 'no its just for me, I wanted to make sure I don't run out!

Sums it up really

Idiot leaks a report of just 10 stations throughout the whole UK empty
Irresponsible idiots running the news channels broadcast it
Selfish people rush out and panic buy as much as they can get hold of
jamesg46

I noticed stories circulating that started about a mont back that warned of a general shortage over the Christmas period, basically the stories were prompting people to prepare and start earlier than normal.... I'm fully expecting chaos from now into January.
greenmark

jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:38 am
I noticed stories circulating that started about a mont back that warned of a general shortage over the Christmas period, basically the stories were prompting people to prepare and start earlier than normal.... I'm fully expecting chaos from now into January.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58773530
Doesn't look like "making Brexit work" to me. Looks like accepting the concept of Brexit as a good idea is pretty flawed. OK, covid has been disruptive. But as a remainer I shall be seriously miffed if, soon we don't start to look like the 5th/7th (depending on who you believe) richest economy instead of a country incapable of keeping petrol stations and food stores stocked.
Derek27

There's a lot of talk about recruiting European lorry drivers and poultry workers but I haven't heard anything about plans for the pig crisis. Farmers saying tens of thousands of pigs will have to be slaughtered and wasted unless they get immediate staff, and all BJ said so far is "we'll see what we can do".
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
I understand where you are coming from Derek but I don't recall any news station showing scenes of drivers happily filling up, just the (sensational) ones where they can claim people queued for hours and present it as the norm.

I agree with james ...
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:08 am
... The next station i usually use is Tesco so naturally I headed there next... when I got there I was suprised to see an empty (ish) forecourt with no bags or cones. I drove straight on, got filled up, no queue, no arguments, no hassle, stress or fighting.

When I went into pay I asked the lady if "she" had been dry over the past week (I had no idea where that question would take me over the next few minutes) but anyway, turns out that they had never been dry and deliveries had been as usual every 2nd day.... I'm assuming that garages will pre book deliveries and slots well in advance based off of previous consumption data so a smaller garage won't have as much traffic as a Tesco or Asda etc therefore smaller forecourts will be getting their deliveries on time it was always a bull shit crisis made worse by morons and their tvs.
... I have just returned from a trip Sussex/Midlands, out on Monday and return yesterday. Had an almost full tank when I set off (had used about 2 gallons from previous top-up) and just topped up as I passed petrol stations that had petrol but no queue and returned home yesterday with more petrol than I started with! Absolutely no problem whatsoever.

I've heard news stories promulgated by the media of people claiming to have spent hours driving around trying to get fuel. Before reporting such claims why not stop and ask the drivers where they got the petrol from to drive around for hours?! The only reason to publish such crap without verification is to make the story more sensational than it's rivals' stories ... and that creates the panic!
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:05 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I understand where you are coming from Derek but I don't recall any news station showing scenes of drivers happily filling up, just the (sensational) ones where they can claim people queued for hours and present it as the norm.

I agree with james ...
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:08 am
... The next station i usually use is Tesco so naturally I headed there next... when I got there I was suprised to see an empty (ish) forecourt with no bags or cones. I drove straight on, got filled up, no queue, no arguments, no hassle, stress or fighting.

When I went into pay I asked the lady if "she" had been dry over the past week (I had no idea where that question would take me over the next few minutes) but anyway, turns out that they had never been dry and deliveries had been as usual every 2nd day.... I'm assuming that garages will pre book deliveries and slots well in advance based off of previous consumption data so a smaller garage won't have as much traffic as a Tesco or Asda etc therefore smaller forecourts will be getting their deliveries on time it was always a bull shit crisis made worse by morons and their tvs.
... I have just returned from a trip Sussex/Midlands, out on Monday and return yesterday. Had an almost full tank when I set off (had used about 2 gallons from previous top-up) and just topped up as I passed petrol stations that had petrol but no queue and returned home yesterday with more petrol than I started with! Absolutely no problem whatsoever.

I've heard news stories promulgated by the media of people claiming to have spent hours driving around trying to get fuel. Before reporting such claims why not stop and ask the drivers where they got the petrol from to drive around for hours?! The only reason to publish such crap without verification is to make the story more sensational than it's rivals' stories ... and that creates the panic!
I watch Sky News and they made it pretty clear that the problems are very regional. They even showed a map of the worst spots and unaffected areas. Obviously it's a waste of time going to an unaffected petrol station and filming drivers happily filling up their cars. :)
paspuggie48

I'm probably missing something here but is it not the oil companies (BP, Esso, etc) that employ the lorry drivers? So why does the government and Brexit get blamed?

Return to “Trading Psychology”