Panic buying

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
LinusP

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:05 pm
... I have just returned from a trip Sussex/Midlands, out on Monday and return yesterday. Had an almost full tank when I set off (had used about 2 gallons from previous top-up) and just topped up as I passed petrol stations that had petrol but no queue and returned home yesterday with more petrol than I started with! Absolutely no problem whatsoever.

I've heard news stories promulgated by the media of people claiming to have spent hours driving around trying to get fuel. Before reporting such claims why not stop and ask the drivers where they got the petrol from to drive around for hours?! The only reason to publish such crap without verification is to make the story more sensational than it's rivals' stories ... and that creates the panic!
You do realise you are the problem? Can’t believe you are being so open about it tbh :x

It’s a complete nightmare in Sussex.
Derek27

paspuggie48 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:59 pm
I'm probably missing something here but is it not the oil companies (BP, Esso, etc) that employ the lorry drivers? So why does the government and Brexit get blamed?
Brexit can be blamed to a large extent for the shortage of lorry drivers. From what I've heard on the news lately (haven't been paying much attention to it) BJ is standing firm in his view that UK workers can fill the gap, wages will go up and we'll all be better off. Reporter stated it's a big gamble. I reckon it's a gamble akin to Kahin's Martingale. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Kahin is BJ's chief advisor now that Cummings has gone. :)
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:31 pm
paspuggie48 wrote:
I'm probably missing something here but is it not the oil companies (BP, Esso, etc) that employ the lorry drivers? So why does the government and Brexit get blamed?
Brexit can be blamed to a large extent for the shortage of lorry drivers. From what I've heard on the news lately (haven't been paying much attention to it) BJ is standing firm in his view that UK workers can fill the gap, wages will go up and we'll all be better off. Reporter stated it's a big gamble. I reckon it's a gamble akin to Kahin's Martingale. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Kahin is BJ's chief advisor now that Cummings has gone. :)
So almost 2 years after brexit then? Why didn't this happen the day after?
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:40 pm
Derek27 wrote:
paspuggie48 wrote:
Were they all rounded up and deported the day after?
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:45 pm
Naffman wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Were they all rounded up and deported a week ago?
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:27 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:45 pm
Naffman wrote:

Were they all rounded up and deported a week ago?
You can reduce NHS and ambulance crews, you may not feel the effects of it until there's a major disaster or something like Covid. That doesn't mean you can entirely blame the event that placed the demand. The fact is if we still had those lorry drivers we wouldn't have this particular problem.
Derek27

BJ says shortages and supply chain problems are part of the UK adjusting away from a broken economic system. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adjusting into more like!
Derek27

Don't worry about filling your car up, getting to work, UK farmers going out of business or empty supermarkets, the Environmental secretary has turkeys for Christmas absolute top of the list. :lol: :lol:
jamesg46

https://youtu.be/T1-oy0KlOnE

All down to Brexit obviously. Amazing how there is a shortage of drivers in the US too.... were all Europeans "rounded" up and sent back home from there too?.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:11 pm

All down to Brexit obviously. Amazing how there is a shortage of drivers in the US too.... were all Europeans "rounded" up and sent back home from there too?.
No, it's not down to Brexit or Europeans being rounded up. The guy on the next video said it's a combination of US consumer demand, China and Covid. One person testing positive on a cargo ship coming out of China holds it up.

The advice from the experts is to start your Christmas shopping early, which doesn't sound as bad as our crisis. Let's face it, if there was a fuel crisis in the US it would be world news.

Over here, people will be freezing to death in their homes because they can't afford heating but the Government's priority is to have turkey for Christmas. :)
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:59 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:11 pm

No, it's not down to Brexit or Europeans being rounded up. The guy on the next video said it's a combination of US consumer demand, China and Covid. One person testing positive on a cargo ship coming out of China holds it up.

The advice from the experts is to start your Christmas shopping early, which doesn't sound as bad as our crisis. Let's face it, if there was a fuel crisis in the US it would be world news.

Over here, people will be freezing to death in their homes because they can't afford heating but the Government's priority is to have turkey for Christmas. :)
So their shortage of drivers is down to consumer demand, China & Covid but our shortage is because of Brexit?. We didn't experience empty supermarkets that were probably restocked from reserves, an influx of online consumers bored at home or an upcoming festive spending spree. I also remember Covid was a thing here and last time I checked pretty much everything consumers bought came from China.

To put the fear up the arse of the everyday consumer even more China is having an energy crisis of it's own because they tried to punish the Australians and stopped buying their coal over human rights comments. Can only imagine the knock on effect coming down the pipeline from that in the coming months.

Then there is the Federal Reserve coming out and telling people that inflation is going to carry on into 2022.

All a perfect cocktail for a shit storm of festive panic.
Euler

I'm out of petrol now. I wasted my last dregs this morning trying to find somewhere within a 20 mile radius or so that had anything. Couldn't find it, so I'm now left with just 5 miles in the tank. Just enough to get me to the local station whenever that gets back to normal.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Brexit can be blamed to a large extent for the shortage of lorry drivers.
"Brexit can be blamed ..." I wonder how long that excuse will live for?

So did I miss Gexit, Polexit and every other 'exit' by other countries suffering from a shortage of drivers?

Isn't it about time Remoaners took a break and worked for the future, not carry on crying about the past. If you are not happy then do as we Brexiters did ... put up with it and work for a referendum to re-join (in 2056! :lol: )
Last edited by firlandsfarm on Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
firlandsfarm

LinusP wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:10 pm
You do realise you are the problem? Can’t believe you are being so open about it tbh :x

It’s a complete nightmare in Sussex.
How am I the problem? If you care to read my comment you will see that I only filled up at stations where there was no queue ergo no problem! And as for Sussex, I topped up at Ansty in West Sussex with no problem on my out journey and again at Maresfield on my return. Maybe you like to queue, it gives you a reward of martyrdom!

Return to “Trading Psychology”