Panic buying

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
greenmark

jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:38 am
I noticed stories circulating that started about a mont back that warned of a general shortage over the Christmas period, basically the stories were prompting people to prepare and start earlier than normal.... I'm fully expecting chaos from now into January.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58773530
Doesn't look like "making Brexit work" to me. Looks like accepting the concept of Brexit as a good idea is pretty flawed. OK, covid has been disruptive. But as a remainer I shall be seriously miffed if, soon we don't start to look like the 5th/7th (depending on who you believe) richest economy instead of a country incapable of keeping petrol stations and food stores stocked.
Derek27

There's a lot of talk about recruiting European lorry drivers and poultry workers but I haven't heard anything about plans for the pig crisis. Farmers saying tens of thousands of pigs will have to be slaughtered and wasted unless they get immediate staff, and all BJ said so far is "we'll see what we can do".
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:54 pm
I'm usually too busy looking that the newsreader to listen to what they're saying, but the news channels have to report what's going on. If the world goes bonkers they have to report it and are always liable to accusations that they're sensationalising it.
I understand where you are coming from Derek but I don't recall any news station showing scenes of drivers happily filling up, just the (sensational) ones where they can claim people queued for hours and present it as the norm.

I agree with james ...
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:08 am
... The next station i usually use is Tesco so naturally I headed there next... when I got there I was suprised to see an empty (ish) forecourt with no bags or cones. I drove straight on, got filled up, no queue, no arguments, no hassle, stress or fighting.

When I went into pay I asked the lady if "she" had been dry over the past week (I had no idea where that question would take me over the next few minutes) but anyway, turns out that they had never been dry and deliveries had been as usual every 2nd day.... I'm assuming that garages will pre book deliveries and slots well in advance based off of previous consumption data so a smaller garage won't have as much traffic as a Tesco or Asda etc therefore smaller forecourts will be getting their deliveries on time it was always a bull shit crisis made worse by morons and their tvs.
... I have just returned from a trip Sussex/Midlands, out on Monday and return yesterday. Had an almost full tank when I set off (had used about 2 gallons from previous top-up) and just topped up as I passed petrol stations that had petrol but no queue and returned home yesterday with more petrol than I started with! Absolutely no problem whatsoever.

I've heard news stories promulgated by the media of people claiming to have spent hours driving around trying to get fuel. Before reporting such claims why not stop and ask the drivers where they got the petrol from to drive around for hours?! The only reason to publish such crap without verification is to make the story more sensational than it's rivals' stories ... and that creates the panic!
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:05 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:54 pm
I'm usually too busy looking that the newsreader to listen to what they're saying, but the news channels have to report what's going on. If the world goes bonkers they have to report it and are always liable to accusations that they're sensationalising it.
I understand where you are coming from Derek but I don't recall any news station showing scenes of drivers happily filling up, just the (sensational) ones where they can claim people queued for hours and present it as the norm.

I agree with james ...
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:08 am
... The next station i usually use is Tesco so naturally I headed there next... when I got there I was suprised to see an empty (ish) forecourt with no bags or cones. I drove straight on, got filled up, no queue, no arguments, no hassle, stress or fighting.

When I went into pay I asked the lady if "she" had been dry over the past week (I had no idea where that question would take me over the next few minutes) but anyway, turns out that they had never been dry and deliveries had been as usual every 2nd day.... I'm assuming that garages will pre book deliveries and slots well in advance based off of previous consumption data so a smaller garage won't have as much traffic as a Tesco or Asda etc therefore smaller forecourts will be getting their deliveries on time it was always a bull shit crisis made worse by morons and their tvs.
... I have just returned from a trip Sussex/Midlands, out on Monday and return yesterday. Had an almost full tank when I set off (had used about 2 gallons from previous top-up) and just topped up as I passed petrol stations that had petrol but no queue and returned home yesterday with more petrol than I started with! Absolutely no problem whatsoever.

I've heard news stories promulgated by the media of people claiming to have spent hours driving around trying to get fuel. Before reporting such claims why not stop and ask the drivers where they got the petrol from to drive around for hours?! The only reason to publish such crap without verification is to make the story more sensational than it's rivals' stories ... and that creates the panic!
I watch Sky News and they made it pretty clear that the problems are very regional. They even showed a map of the worst spots and unaffected areas. Obviously it's a waste of time going to an unaffected petrol station and filming drivers happily filling up their cars. :)
paspuggie48

I'm probably missing something here but is it not the oil companies (BP, Esso, etc) that employ the lorry drivers? So why does the government and Brexit get blamed?
LinusP

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:05 pm

You do realise you are the problem? Can’t believe you are being so open about it tbh :x

It’s a complete nightmare in Sussex.
Derek27

paspuggie48 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:59 pm
I'm probably missing something here but is it not the oil companies (BP, Esso, etc) that employ the lorry drivers? So why does the government and Brexit get blamed?
Brexit can be blamed to a large extent for the shortage of lorry drivers. From what I've heard on the news lately (haven't been paying much attention to it) BJ is standing firm in his view that UK workers can fill the gap, wages will go up and we'll all be better off. Reporter stated it's a big gamble. I reckon it's a gamble akin to Kahin's Martingale. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Kahin is BJ's chief advisor now that Cummings has gone. :)
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:31 pm
paspuggie48 wrote:
Brexit can be blamed to a large extent for the shortage of lorry drivers. From what I've heard on the news lately (haven't been paying much attention to it) BJ is standing firm in his view that UK workers can fill the gap, wages will go up and we'll all be better off. Reporter stated it's a big gamble. I reckon it's a gamble akin to Kahin's Martingale. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Kahin is BJ's chief advisor now that Cummings has gone. :)
So almost 2 years after brexit then? Why didn't this happen the day after?
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:40 pm
Derek27 wrote:
paspuggie48 wrote:
Were they all rounded up and deported the day after?
Naffman

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:45 pm
Naffman wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Were they all rounded up and deported a week ago?
Derek27

Naffman wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:27 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:45 pm
Naffman wrote:

Were they all rounded up and deported a week ago?
You can reduce NHS and ambulance crews, you may not feel the effects of it until there's a major disaster or something like Covid. That doesn't mean you can entirely blame the event that placed the demand. The fact is if we still had those lorry drivers we wouldn't have this particular problem.
Derek27

BJ says shortages and supply chain problems are part of the UK adjusting away from a broken economic system. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adjusting into more like!
Derek27

Don't worry about filling your car up, getting to work, UK farmers going out of business or empty supermarkets, the Environmental secretary has turkeys for Christmas absolute top of the list. :lol: :lol:
jamesg46

https://youtu.be/T1-oy0KlOnE

All down to Brexit obviously. Amazing how there is a shortage of drivers in the US too.... were all Europeans "rounded" up and sent back home from there too?.

Return to “Trading Psychology”