Automation only

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
halfagallon

Is it possible to make money just using automation and does anyone use Bet Angel that way?
lotora

halfagallon wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:36 am
Is it possible to make money just using automation and does anyone use Bet Angel that way?
Yes to both questions! :)
rik

Yes definitely its possible there will be many people doing well just with Betangel Guardian automation even though has its limits.
Dallas

A definite yes to both
ShaunWhite

Yes. But it's a box of tools not a ready made ATM machine.
gazuty

halfagallon wrote:
Yes
Archery1969

halfagallon wrote:
Yes but it was a very long road for myself. But you might get lucky and be able to make money quickly. ;)
Crazyskier

Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 am
halfagallon wrote:
Yes but it was a very long road for myself. But you might get lucky and be able to make money quickly. ;)
Same here. I've been moderately profitable for some time now, daily botting both the horses and dogs with fill/kills, but I can't seem to scale up the stakes using any automation software - it just produces more reds for me. I've resigned myself to just accepting the small income as I feel the next stage for me would be custom programming or at least spreadsheets to place and cancel orders which are not really my bag.

CS
Archery1969

Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:35 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 am
halfagallon wrote:
Same here. I've been moderately profitable for some time now, daily botting both the horses and dogs with fill/kills, but I can't seem to scale up the stakes using any automation software - it just produces more reds for me. I've resigned myself to just accepting the small income as I feel the next stage for me would be custom programming or at least spreadsheets to place and cancel orders which are not really my bag.

CS
+ 1
firlandsfarm

Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:35 am
... but I can't seem to scale up the stakes using any automation software - it just produces more reds for me.
Just a thought CS have you tried running two instances of BA both with your rules file?
wearthefoxhat

halfagallon wrote:
Not quite for me.

I'm in the semi-automation camp. Define an entry point manually, allow automation to assist the exit point. I have to use some judgement, based on lessons learned over time (never a failure, always a lesson).
decomez6

halfagallon wrote:
i dont want to contradict the answers to my seniors in BA knowledge, but i think your question is ....just automation only.....
and if thats the case , i hesitate to say yes.

-BA is an excellent execution tool ....here comes the BUT
-you are the executioner.

analogy:
give a bag of dollar bills to a good trader and you get a money tree.
do likewise to clueless `caveman ` ,and it becomes a good source of fire , lightning up the cave , cooking and keeping warm.

question ? who is a good trader

-technical analyst
-fundamentalist
-manual
-automatic
or
may be a hybrid of all of the above.

i see BA as an excellent partner to a manual trader and partly technical analyst , but not so much of a fundamentalist.
you will need a third party tool to suppliment the execution tool .
how well do you understand the market and its participants?
this will make you a better trader but understanding something doesnt necessarily translate to good implementation.

example :
i spot two identical volume percentages both above thier vwap or top of thier range . i back them , results look good when i manually trade .
so i turn them into automation files ,hoping for some long term profits....this time i make a copy to back and the other to lay , just to make sure iam not leaving money on the table.

m point modified vol%-5+5 1 decimal place sv vwap -5 BACK only.baf
m point modified vol%-5+5 1 decimal place sv vwap -5 LAY only.baf
run each on a seperately. two instaces of BA practice mode.

problems:
even though you start them both at the same time, each gets matched at different time frames and hence the results are all over the place . and there is the limitations of automation .

the human eye /intuition is hard to replicate.
automation is a suplimentary tool making BA is a friend indeed .

and yes , your question hits the nail on the head . very relevant to why everyone should learn a bit of automation ,just too keep your head above the 95% of traders that loose money.

apologies for that convoluted answer :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

halfagallon wrote:
I started out, many years ago, as a purely manual trader but as Bet Angel developed, first with Excel and now with Advanced automation, I turned a number of strategies into fully automated strategies.

I think there are several levels at which you can trade. There are loads of manual trading strategies that work well, but you can enhance them with automation and it's just a step then to fully automated strategies.
firlandsfarm

I used to place 100+ bets a day manually in the old days and it was a strain to keep up, no time for a pee or coffee between races, too busy placing bets. I rejected small margin strategies or those throwing up too many selections, or both. Now I can follow small margin strategies, I don't care how many bets are selected ... either BA can find the positions or I use Access on the database and upload them into BA. The only thing to be careful of is when one strategy conspires against another, that's annoying and I wish BA could find a way to overcome that frustration.
ANGELS15

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 pm
I used to place 100+ bets a day manually in the old days and it was a strain to keep up, no time for a pee or coffee between races, too busy placing bets. I rejected small margin strategies or those throwing up too many selections, or both. Now I can follow small margin strategies, I don't care how many bets are selected ... either BA can find the positions or I use Access on the database and upload them into BA. The only thing to be careful of is when one strategy conspires against another, that's annoying and I wish BA could find a way to overcome that frustration.
I used to do something similar. Before I learned about trading I used to do a lot of daily dutching in horse and dog markets. Automation makes it a whole lot easier.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”