Strategy variation based on Day of Week

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
moodysrus

Hey All,

At the risk of sounding like the laziest trader ever.....

I have noticed some strategies on some markets work better on certain days of the week and would like to automate for that. Sure, I could manually apply the appropriate strategy each morning but why not let technology do the work. I currently use a keypress daemon to trigger a BetAngel shortcut to load the markets regularly and was wondering if anyone can think of a way to either limit the events selected in the Market (by day of week), or somehow detect/calculate the day of week within a Guardian betting rule?

The difference (data collected over a 6 month trading period) can be that one strategy consistently wins several hundred dollars on Mondays but the same strategy consistently loses the same amount on Saturdays :-(

I suspect the answer is no but thought it can't hurt to ask the gurus!

cheers
ShaunWhite

Can't help with the Guardian setup but what you're seeing isn't uncommon. My suggestion is to look beyond day of the week to see how the winning/losing markets actually differ on those days, perhaps volume, when the money arrives, or some other thing you can measure. It's quite possible that there's winners on a Sat and losers on Mondays, or visa versa, that you can target more effectively.
moodysrus

Hey Shaun,

Thanks for your reply.

Yep, I tried cross referencing with volume, distance, race type (flat, chase, trot, etc), grade (Mdn, Hcp, Claim etc), etc, etc but nothing synced. My only very un-scientific 'gut feeling' is that on Mondays (and a few other specific days) the better horses tend to get up and the nags tend to lose, but on Saturdays the racing is a bit more 'competitive' and results are less predictable....

I will revisit the several months of spreadsheets and keep looking for that silver bullet :)

cheers
gazuty

I don't like (well my automation doesn't) like Mondays, least profitable day of the week for me.
moodysrus

Yeh, if you just do the opposite on Mondays, you should be on a winner :)

Bizarre !
Anbell

moodysrus wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:02 am
Hey All,

At the risk of sounding like the laziest trader ever.....

I have noticed some strategies on some markets work better on certain days of the week and would like to automate for that. Sure, I could manually apply the appropriate strategy each morning but why not let technology do the work. I currently use a keypress daemon to trigger a BetAngel shortcut to load the markets regularly and was wondering if anyone can think of a way to either limit the events selected in the Market (by day of week), or somehow detect/calculate the day of week within a Guardian betting rule?

The difference (data collected over a 6 month trading period) can be that one strategy consistently wins several hundred dollars on Mondays but the same strategy consistently loses the same amount on Saturdays :-(

I suspect the answer is no but thought it can't hurt to ask the gurus!

cheers
You could do this via excel
MemphisFlash

if Monday is so bad for you why don't you do as Peter says and do nothing!
saves your lazy finger from getting sore as well.
The Silk Run

MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:36 am
Good morning MEMF, I trust you are well. Not read any inspiring Grey market content for some time ...
Oh, & Happy New Year Sir
Minnie LAI
moodysrus

MemphisFlash wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:36 am
I do nothing now. Guardian updates the markets every few hours, applies the appropriate rules and I watch from a distance. I haven't actually touched the BetAngel App for over three months now except to login after the monthly Windows patches !

Having to 'do nothing' on a certain day is actually doing more than I am now. I am the pinnacle of laziness :)

cheers
moodysrus

Just to close this one out, I ended up modifying the app that 'magically' pushes the keyboard key (that triggers the Guardian Keyboard/Behaviour shortcut that loads the markets), to only fire on certain days. After that, it was just a matter of updating the Market Filter to only load races with a Start Time of 'Today'.

Back to watching the screen automatically refresh from the comfy chair.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

cheers
Euler

It would be a surprise if strategies worked exactly the same on each day for a number of reasons. So I tend to vary my strategies by day and month. Some of them are just refinements but the nature of most sports will throw off different characteristics at different times of the calendar.

I tend to load up my automation at the start of the day and don't ask it to detect the day of the week. But adding a day of the week condition to Bet Angel would be a good idea.
ShaunWhite

gazuty wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:59 am
I don't like Mondays
:lol: ... you jinxed me....3rd worst day ever.

Tbh I'd been sailing waaaay ahead of the underlying value for a month or two after some jammy wins so it was always on the cards. Keeps it interesting I guess.
Screenshot_9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesedwards

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:04 pm
gazuty wrote:
I don't like Mondays
:lol: ... you jinxed me....3rd worst day ever.

Tbh I'd been sailing waaaay ahead of the underlying value for a month or two after some jammy wins so it was always on the cards. Keeps it interesting I guess.
Screenshot_9.jpg
It was Blue Monday after all!
gazuty

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:04 pm
gazuty wrote:
I don't like Mondays
Yikes, glad its only one bad day of variance.
ShaunWhite

gazuty wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:44 pm
Yikes, glad its only one bad day of variance.
Who knows. You can't make a curve without filling in the gaps so the only thing that matters is that it's centered on a +ve.
Screenshot_11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”