Overnight automation for UK racing

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
pmckinney1971

Hi,

I am in Australia, so the time zone with UK horse racing is a big factor for me in trying to work with some of the more stable ($100k+ volume) races. This is not to say there isn't good horse racing with good stable markets in Australia, but it is limited generally to Saturday and only a few courses.

So finding a way to run automation on horse racing overnight has been something I have been exploring for Bet Angel for a while now.

Starting with very small stakes, I was implementing a strategy to do 1-tick Back offset (lay) bets in order to make small profits, with repeated action and a few conditions to control it such as weight of money, closure and greening to minimise losses should a lay bet go unmatched.

Attached is the guardian automation file.

Problem is that so far I haven't limited the types of races included, and at best the strategy is breaking even ... over the past couple of weeks at least, but looking to keep trying it.

Looking for ways this strategy can be improved, with the caveat that I will generally be asleep when the automation is running and cannot intervene or monitor the races/odds distribution as they go ahead.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Peter's videos are great, but they do seems to be focused on manual observation of races, the odd distribution, the parading of horses, the live information available, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Paul in Australia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anbell

pmckinney1971 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:11 am
Hi,

I am in Australia, so the time zone with UK horse racing is a big factor for me in trying to work with some of the more stable ($100k+ volume) races. This is not to say there isn't good horse racing with good stable markets in Australia, but it is limited generally to Saturday and only a few courses.

So finding a way to run automation on horse racing overnight has been something I have been exploring for Bet Angel for a while now.

Starting with very small stakes, I was implementing a strategy to do 1-tick Back offset (lay) bets in order to make small profits, with repeated action and a few conditions to control it such as weight of money, closure and greening to minimise losses should a lay bet go unmatched.

Attached is the guardian automation file.

Problem is that so far I haven't limited the types of races included, and at best the strategy is breaking even ... over the past couple of weeks at least, but looking to keep trying it.

Looking for ways this strategy can be improved, with the caveat that I will generally be asleep when the automation is running and cannot intervene or monitor the races/odds distribution as they go ahead.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Peter's videos are great, but they do seems to be focused on manual observation of races, the odd distribution, the parading of horses, the live information available, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Paul in Australia.
Have you tried two ticks?
pmckinney1971

Thanks Anbell, much appreciated. Definitely worth trying different combinations. Increasing the ticks obviously adds to the win side of the equation and wouldn't necessarily add to the loss side, although it might mean slightly fewer matches for the offset lay bets. Will trial it and other combinations. Cheers, Paul
NotBothered

yeah I noticed the volume is much better in the UK as well

it is something on my list to build a trading strategy for UK racing - I already have the formation of the idea - but not sat down to look at the stats and what it would look like planned out

but I must say would not be looking at too narrow a focus .. but I would look at what the formation of the race is and what the differential was and go from there.

Anyway I got to finish UK Dutching and some other stuff first.
ShaunWhite

pmckinney1971 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:11 am

Hi pmckinney1971
Don't worry about that, It's best not to intervene with automated trading anyway if the plan is to have it run on its own, otherwise you can't easily check the results of the automation alone. And you need a few days start to see an overall trend so checking once a day and analysing the pl of the bets you've generated is plenty. Keep it small and just leave it alone.
pmckinney1971

Thanks for the suggestions. Still breaking even at best with this strategy.

One thing I noticed is that losses can occur when offset back bets are too close to the bottom of the current trading range, so wondered if there is any way to restrict the Back Bet action in Guardian to not back if the back price is within 10% of the lowest traded price.

I see you can do a Stored Value set to capture the historic matched bet prices, but presumably I need something that allows a condition of Back Bet fixed odds > minimum price (+10%) historically ... or the strategy switches to lay offset bets when at the bottom of the traded range.

Anyway, can't see a way to do such a Condition in Guardian, so open to suggestions.

Cheers,
Paul

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”