Backtesting Automation

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
Korattt

ok, so yesterday’s automation went ok, did a slight tweak & today on practice mode absolutely smashed it, so the question is to all those advanced experienced automation gurus (Dallas for example) is..

what is a reasonable enough time to test the file on practice mode before I go live with baby micro stakes?
Euler

Personally speaking, I'd go live as quickly as possible. Even if you just use £2 stakes you will get a better feel that in just practice mode. It's easy for orders to fill in practice mode but a little harder when live.
Korattt

Euler wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 pm
Personally speaking, I'd go live as quickly as possible. Even if you just use £2 stakes you will get a better feel that in just practice mode. It's easy for orders to fill in practice mode but a little harder when live.
thanks, think yesterday would’ve been ok if it wouldn’t have been for so many clashes, cautiously optimistic with this but to see your orders go in when you’re sat back doing nothing & it pays off is amazing
LinusP

Euler wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:04 pm
I agree especially on illiquid markets, note that you are currently paper trading not backtesting ;)
Korattt

LinusP wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:01 pm

I agree especially on illiquid markets, note that you are currently paper trading not backtesting ;)
fair comment
sa7med

I'd say if you're fairly confident your automation won't empty your bank through some glitches then go ahead with low stakes. That's what practice mode is for imo, making sure everything works as you want it to.
ShaunWhite

sa7med wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:37 am
I'd say if you're fairly confident your automation won't empty your bank through some glitches then go ahead with low stakes. That's what practice mode is for imo, making sure everything works as you want it to.
Always worth a reminder to move all but a small amount to a different wallet when first testing in live. And when automating in general, just keep the minimum you need in your main wallet.....you never know.
ShaunWhite

Korattt wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:12 pm
to see your orders go in when you’re sat back doing nothing & it pays off is amazing
It's a great feeling. But I think you'll soon start to see that the 'doing nothing' part is the payoff for 'doing a hell of a lot' when the racing isn't on. :)

I have to agree with everyone about getting stuck in. Unless it's a dog it's not going to cost a fortune and it'll be so much more informative. I've said it before but that money to test an idea is like the cost of entering a raffle, you don't necessarily expect to win every time but you look at the chance of success, and the size of the prize, and figure out what you'd spend on a ticket. It's basically your R&D budget and if it's planned spend it doesn't feel so bad when it doesn't pay off.
Dallas

I can only agree with the posts above, use practice mode for setting up and testing it triggers correctly, but then move it into live mode for the actual running of the stratergy and increase stakes as and when it looks like its on the right track.
Korattt

Thanks guys for the comments, really appreciate it 👍🏻
Korattt

missed the first hour but didn’t do so well on the Automation today, watching the recording the markets seemed so different from Sunday, get the feeling I should have employed different tactics today, maybe nipping in & out may have been the order of the day

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”