Undo a File Deletion

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
gaz36f

I have accidentally deleted an Automation File.

I mistakenly clicked the red cross instead of the green minus sign when I was attempting to remove a rule within the file. It is rather odd that a deletion confirmation popup occurs for a rule deletion but absolutely no warning whatsoever for an entire file. A lot of work (and learning) has gone into this file so really need to retrieve it if possible.

Is there anyway to get it back?

I have already checked the recycle bin.

Thanks, Gary
MemphisFlash

i think your screwed. always a good idea to have a backup
goat68

gaz36f wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:02 am

I mistakenly clicked the red cross instead of the green minus sign when I was attempting to remove a rule within the file. It is rather odd that a deletion confirmation popup occurs for a rule deletion but absolutely no warning whatsoever for an entire file. A lot of work (and learning) has gone into this file so really need to retrieve it if possible.

Thanks, Gary
Google windows undelete file
You may get lucky if you're system has restore points
Yoy will need to navigate to the folder the file was in
deestar

Disk Drill (used to be called Pandora recovery i think) is free software that works to recover deleted files. Easy to use and worth a go.
gaz36f

@deestar. Thanks. Yeah, I tried Disk Drill and EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro. Neither found the file sadly.

@goat. Yep, I googled and found Windows File Recovery. I installed the App but once again, the file couldn't be found. Ironically, it found a load of Excel files in the MarketReports folder than I intentionally deleted weeks ago.

@MemphisFlash. You're right. I'm screwed. I am also furious with myself at the moment. It's a lot to come back from. I think I'll take the weekend off, otherwise I might get end up throwing my PC at the wall :(

Anyway, thanks all. I will just have to put it down to experience and be more careful in the future. I'll probably make a suggestion to BA too and ask them to put a delete confirmation for files as they do rules. It seems strange there is an inbuilt failsafe for a single jigsaw piece but not for the entire puzzle.

Cheers, Gary
eightbo

Sorry to hear that's happened to you, I've been close myself a couple times when renaming/copying files.
A few days off sounds like a wise move.

No doubt a setback for you but see if you can't turn it around into something slightly positive (salvage what you can from the experience):
    Consider possible ways to make the next version more advanced.
    Or if you want an exact replica, then use it as a practice to develop your coding styles e.g. planning, structure, try stored values if you previously had signals, clearer naming of your variables/rule labelling, etc.

It would be interesting to hear from the dev(s) as to how exactly the delete rules file operation works from a computer memory standpoint.
Most traditional data recovery programs are targeted at stuff deleted from the recycle bin, which of course the rules files never reach because all the info is probably stored in a compressed/unreadable format within the BA software files.

If it really isn't accessible then I recommend we put forward a request for an "Export all rules files" feature within Guardian, so people aren't so put off the idea of backing everything up — I certainly can't 99% of the time.  Especially when someone has a ton of files and they are all being regularly updated e.g. during testing

Additionally/alternatively, I would put forward the idea that deleted rules be exported and stored into a new directory within the x86 folder, from which they can easily be recovered via the traditional Import method e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Bet Angel Limited\Bet Angel - Professional\Deleted Rules Files and in cases such as these we can direct the user to said folder.  They don't take up much space nor take all that long to export on the average machine, so can't find an obvious case against this.  If you agree, let's make a suggestion thread for it.
sniffer66

eightbo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:58 pm
Sorry to hear that's happened to you, I've been close myself a couple times when renaming/copying files.
A few days off sounds like a wise move.

No doubt a setback for you but see if you can't turn it around into something slightly positive (salvage what you can from the experience):
    Consider possible ways to make the next version more advanced.
    Or if you want an exact replica, then use it as a practice to develop your coding styles e.g. planning, structure, try stored values if you previously had signals, clearer naming of your variables/rule labelling, etc.

It would be interesting to hear from the dev(s) as to how exactly the delete rules file operation works from a computer memory standpoint.
Most traditional data recovery programs are targeted at stuff deleted from the recycle bin, which of course the rules files never reach because all the info is probably stored in a compressed/unreadable format within the BA software files.

If it really isn't accessible then I recommend we put forward a request for an "Export all rules files" feature within Guardian, so people aren't so put off the idea of backing everything up — I certainly can't 99% of the time.  Especially when someone has a ton of files and they are all being regularly updated e.g. during testing

Additionally/alternatively, I would put forward the idea that deleted rules be exported and stored into a new directory within the x86 folder, from which they can easily be recovered via the traditional Import method e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Bet Angel Limited\Bet Angel - Professional\Deleted Rules Files and in cases such as these we can direct the user to said folder.  They don't take up much space nor take all that long to export on the average machine, so can't find an obvious case against this.  If you agree, let's make a suggestion thread for it.

Good suggestions

I edit my baf's directly using a script and always take a backup prior to edit but it's worth looking at Windows Robocopy as an interim measure. You can create a Task Schedule and copy the entire contents of the automation folder to another location on a daily basis

Shame your horse has bolted though Gary :(
Euler

I store all my automation on dropbox and that has versioning so that even if I delete or screw something, I can just roll it back.
Jukebox

Euler wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:19 pm
I store all my automation on dropbox and that has versioning so that even if I delete or screw something back I can just roll it back.
Any chance of a link?
Euler

You will be delighted to know it's encrypted ;)
Bog

@gaz36f, try Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery - Professional. I once recovered most of my data from a broken hard disk. Maybe it can find your file.
Dallas

gaz36f wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:53 am

Anyway, thanks all. I will just have to put it down to experience and be more careful in the future. I'll probably make a suggestion to BA too and ask them to put a delete confirmation for files as they do rules. It seems strange there is an inbuilt failsafe for a single jigsaw piece but not for the entire puzzle.

Cheers, Gary
Just double checked this and you do get a prompt box asking you to confirm the delete for both individual rules and the whole file when using the red 'X'
goat68

gaz36f wrote:

Thanks, Gary
Is this your ATR baf? I can help you get back there if you want?
gaz36f

Thanks very much for all the helpful responses:

@eightbro. As you suggested, I have been trying to turn this unfortunate incident into something positive and, thankfully, I believe I have. Since the deletion (and not taking a break as I sensibly should have done), I have attempted to rebuild the file. Along the way, I think I have improved it. I have been getting a lot of help from Goat and I think on the deleted rule I had made changes that I hadn’t fully understood. On this rebuild a lot of things are becoming clearer (for the most part). By the way, I like your idea of deleted rules being stored in another folder. That could save a lot of stress 😊

@sniffer66. Thanks for the Windows Robocopy recommendation. I will investigate that. I’ve not heard of it before, but it certainly sounds like something that would be very useful for accident-prone types like myself.

@Euler. All my ‘ordinary’ PC files are on Onedrive so continually backed up in the cloud. I don’t store anything solely on the computer’s hard drive, except, sods law, Bet Angel Automation files. That’s primarily because they are stored in a folder via the hidden folder of App Data whereas everything else I have been able to just setup folders on the OneDrive. I wasn’t aware I could copy this folder onto my Onedrive via software like Windows Robocopy until sniffer66 suggested it, so it’s something I will get onto. Maybe Dropbox works in a similar way, but I have never used it so no clue.

@Bog. Thanks for the suggestion of Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery. I have pretty much got back to where I was (maybe with improvements), so won’t need it now. But good to know there are other tools out there for these circumstances as the two I tried to use were unsuccessful.

@Dallas. Really sorry. After reading your response, I double-checked and there is a confirmation popup. So, I must have pressed that too. It seems not only did I incorrectly press the red cross, I confirmed my stupid action and then immediately forgot I had done so! That might say something about the state of my brain at the moment. Big and genuine apologies for unintentionally making a misleading statement.

@Goat. Yes, LOL. It is the ATR baf. It seems that something I thought was relatively straightforward and will help me understand some of the more complex features of automation, has really sent me barmy. Maybe I am trying to take automated big strides when I should be focused on baby steps. Anyway, since that disaster, I have rebuilt it, understood it in more detail (I think!), and noticed errors that I would have put in the deleted file. So, in a way, this has been a blessing in disguise. I am still having problems, but I think they are relatively minor so, if you don’t mind, I will try to pick your brains in the ATR thread.
Derek27

goat68 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:24 am
gaz36f wrote:

Thanks, Gary
Google windows undelete file
You may get lucky if you're system has restore points
Yoy will need to navigate to the folder the file was in
Restore points only back up system and program files. Personally, I think they're a complete waste of time. You can sometimes image your entire system volume quicker than restoring a system restore point!

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”