Newbie question on basic automation - any help appreciated

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
Jimmy2Bigg

Hi all

I've started tinkering with automation using a VERY simple rule, more to enjoy learning as much as anything else. Created a very simple bot with stop loss, but I seem to have run into a problem. On occasion the stop loss, while triggering, doesn't get matched, meaning I bear full liability on my lay. I know that's likely to be market related but just want to eliminate any automation errors or things I could do to mitigate it.

I have tried tinkering with the percentage to find the balance right between triggering too low and too high to get out. I thought it was a problem with races less than 1m where yes, prices could move so fast, that my stop doesn't get matched. But it's also happening on 2-3m races where I would have thought the loss could be triggered effectively. But it isn't!

Any ideas would be gratefully received!
Bot 1.PNG
Bot 2.PNG
Bot 3.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

Try setting the 'place at' a bit further away than your 'trigger at' percentage
The second image of this post shows why this is important
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11746

You will still get some races where you may not be matched, this will largely be down to Betfairs in-play bet delay
But there are other options like using a dedicated rule to place a greening bet if the price moves to much against you, an advantage of this is you can have it re-trigger multiple times so you have a better chance of having it matched in the end
Jimmy2Bigg

Hi Dallas

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll take a look at the thread and make a couple of tweaks.
Jimmy2Bigg

Hi

Made the change and on yesterday's limited sample size, did not have any issues with the SL, other than the loss being closer to 65% rather than 55% but all good.

Many thanks!!
Jimmy2Bigg

Hi Dallas (or anyone more skilled with automation than me.... which probably includes everyone!)

Following on from that one, I tinkered with another simple lay the favourite.... with no green this time and what I thought was a stop loss. But it doesn't seem to be triggering. What have I got wrong this time!!?! :lol:

Thanks all - I promise I'm trying hard.
LTF1.PNG
LFT2.PNG
LFT3.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

The 'Stop on opening Bet' isn't a stop loss
It simply moves your opening bet if the price begins to move away from it before its matched

So if you used 'Stop on opening bet' with 3 ticks
and placed a back bet at 5.0 and the current price was 4.5, if that shortened 3 ticks (to 4.2) your unmatched back bet at 5.0 will be moved and placed at 4.2
Jimmy2Bigg

Thanks Dallas, makes sense....

The reason I chose that was that I couldn't see any option to let the lay run for a 100% win but have a stop loss trigger. Unless I set the offset bet to 100%? Is that the way around it?

The idea is to lay the favourite, but if it looks like going on to win to stop loss at x%.

Cheers
Jim
Dallas

Jimmy2Bigg wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:26 am
Thanks Dallas, makes sense....

The reason I chose that was that I couldn't see any option to let the lay run for a 100% win but have a stop loss trigger. Unless I set the offset bet to 100%? Is that the way around it?

The idea is to lay the favourite, but if it looks like going on to win to stop loss at x%.

Cheers
Jim
Not with the Global settings, the stop loss is attached to the offset bet, so an offset is always required.

You can do it another way using a servant, there's an example of one in the topic below that places an offset bet with a trailing stop (you'd just change that to a regular stop and make whatever other edits you require)
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=17894

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”