Automation Question - Experienced trader / newbie automator

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
Milny86

Hi Guys

So.... long story short.. I have been trading fairly successfully for the last few years on football... but during the down period this year I decided to explore greyhound racing... I am in the early stages of testing still but what I am looking for... (and has led me here in search of automation / bot) is something very specific and I am hitting a dead end so far so thought I would ask around!

Essentially I am looking to find something where I can define a hound on each race the night before (I would do this for all the UK greyhound races everyday) and set a back bet to be placed when the lay odds hit a certain price on that particular hound (If the hound drops out then there is no bet on that race).... so.. for example.

Dog in trap 4... lay price is absolutely massive (Because liquidity in greyhound markets fluctuates massively until 5 mins before the off right?)... However, when that lay price drops to a level I define (say 4.0). I want automation that automatically places a back bet ONLY when the lay odds hit 4.0 and the back bet at that specific point is either higher than 4.0... or no more than 10% lower than the lay bet of 4.0.

The reason I am finding that this is difficult is because I don't want to play a bet at higher odds if the lay market hasn't dropped (Essentially meaning that the true price hasn't been established against my criteria / trigger point). My trigger point being that my night before research has established that there is value in that dog once the odds stabilize at the 4.0 mark and not higher or lower.

Hope that makes sense... hoping for anyone who knows how to do this and if its something that potntially bet angel can do... then I am happy to tryout the software!

Many thanks

Carl
Jukebox

The things that that you listed that must be 'just so' before you place the bet are refered to as 'conditions'.
You can set the bet(s) to happen only if your conditions are met by listing them on the place bet instruction there are plenty of conditions to choose from and can have as many as you want.

https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/con ... 3D&mw=MzIw#

BTW if the lay price is 4.0 the back price will already be below 4.0
Realrocknrolla

BTW if the lay price is 4.0 the back price will already be below 4.0
I thought the same
Milny86

Brilliant sounds like this could be right what I am looking for..

Also, you would be surprised how often the back bet can be higher than the lay bet in a volatile greyhound market when the liquidity is stil low.. its just the figures aren't always shown because of how betfairs calculations work. Seen it happen numerous times... unfortuantely to random to exploit.

Thanks for the reply! :-)
Realrocknrolla

Also, you would be surprised how often the back bet can be higher than the lay bet in a volatile greyhound market when the liquidity is stil low.. its just the figures aren't always shown because of how betfairs calculations work. Seen it happen numerous times... unfortuantely to random to exploit.

😬🤔
Anbell

Milny86 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:07 pm

1) Yes, we'd all be very surprised.
2) You're probably looking for either Book % condition and/or Relative Odds Condition
Dallas

Milny86 wrote:

Its impossible for the back price to ever be higher than a lay price on the exchange in any market no matter how volatile the market, the only time you might see this on a ladder or one-click screen is if there is an issue with BF and/or BA has been unable to fetch the price updates on the next refresh so it looks like there is money available to back against at higher odds then there is money available to lay against - but this would be very rare to see, maybe once or twice a year at most.

If using trading software like BA its more likely you might of had the odds display set to reverse rather than normal or vice versa if you are used to having them set as reverse and that can be confusing to people if they aren't aware of it
Dallas

Odd, I've just noticed the time a forum post is made at is showing 30mins earlier than it was actually posted for me
Anyone else seeing this?

This message was actually posted at 00:23, but its showing as 23:53 on the post itself
Jukebox

Dallas wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:53 pm
Odd, I've just noticed the time a forum post is made at is showing 30mins earlier than it was actually posted for me
Anyone else seeing this?

This message was actually posted at 00:23, but its showing as 23:53 on the post itself
Any chance you can tell me who wins Penn National 23:55
foxwood

Milny86 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:01 pm
... and if its something that potntially bet angel can do... then I am happy to tryout the software!
He hasn't used BA yet so who knows where the magic back prices are coming from - watching the BF website and not being logged in ?
jimibt

Dallas wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:53 pm
Anyone else seeing this?

that clears up a timewarp i had yesterday. i posted a reply to a post on another thread and happened to pop back (what seemed like) 10-15 minutes later, only to see that my post had showed that i posted it 45 mins before. I honestly was at a loss accounting for the period of time that had elapsed, vs my memory of the action. looks like it was a system timestamp issue!!
Realrocknrolla

I love these threads!
Jukebox

Milny86 wrote:

if you are used trading through BF website its true that a lot may have happened since the last refresh (they even give you refresh button LOL) and this might give you that impression- BA traders enjoy a streamed 20ms refresh rate - some of us even slow that down for manual trading! (Olympic sprinters are assumed to have made a false start if they reacted faster than 100ms). As you have been trading through the BF website be prepared for a truly eye-opening view of what's really going on when you switch to BA.
ShaunWhite

Jukebox wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:55 am
be prepared for a truly eye-opening view of what's really going on when you switch to BA.
And even 20ms refreshes are the delta of multiple bets when it's busy. That's why it's so hard to build a process that keeps track of the back and lay amounts taken. Each refresh is the sum of all the intervening bets and they might even have been made at different prices. The fastest I've seen api messages coming through is 17ms intervals (the rate the matching engine produces market summaries) but that's not the same as a true level 2 order book that contains each individual event.

... And people have the gaul to criticise the matching engine, it's a blur. If the matching frequency was an audible tone it would probably be a middle C 😁 ... And that's where Jim steps in to tell me that's 256hz 🤔
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:01 pm
Jukebox wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:55 am
be prepared for a truly eye-opening view of what's really going on when you switch to BA.
... And that's where Jim steps in to tell me that's 256hz 🤔
which brings me to a funny little anecdote (musical). for anyone OLD enough, there was a band in the 70's called Nazareth and one of their *numbers* started off with what we'd nowadays call a synth drone. this drone was actually a G and was generated by the bass player unplugging his bass and putting his thumb on the end of the jackplug and putting it thro a flanger.. i rmbr watching them and thinking -ahh, that's how they get that drone.. lol

later of course, this was used as a tuning hack (in the days before digital tuners)

aye -tech has come a long way since!! :shock: :D

[edit] - lol, wonder what they did when travelling the US!! https://www.zmescience.com/other/featur ... -07112017/

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”