help with a stop please

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
bizmark222

After a bet gets matched inplay I want guardian to place a stop to get me out for a loss in a race say 30% if it goes the wrong way, is there a way to acheive this without using an offset bet as I`m aiming to win the full amount and I believe it would get me out faster then greening up for a loss?
Derek27

bizmark222 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:16 am
After a bet gets matched inplay I want guardian to place a stop to get me out for a loss in a race say 30% if it goes the wrong way, is there a way to acheive this without using an offset bet as I`m aiming to win the full amount and I believe it would get me out faster then greening up for a loss?
What do you mean by "get me out for a loss" if you don't mean greening up for a loss?
ShaunWhite

If you're losing then stops won't make you a winner and if you're a winner they won't make you a bigger winner. The problem with stops is that although you stop the losers, you also stop everything that temporarily hits your stop and then goes on to win. You'll move it up and down trying to improve it but all you'll do is either have bigger loses and miss a fewer winners, or smaller loses and miss more winners and you'll be no better off whatever you do.

Eventually you realise you're betting so you probably ought to look at the PL of your bets, not markets PLs which are just random subtotals of many bets. And you'll find any profit you were were getting is from your initial bets ie the ones you actually put effort into choosing. And just losses from the stop bets, because they're random mug bets based on your balance. You might as well just stake smaller and let them go rather than staking like a hero then having to exit with any old -EV bet just to shed liability.
jamesedwards

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:10 am
If you're losing then stops won't make you a winner and if you're a winner they won't make you a bigger winner. The problem with stops is that although you stop the losers, you also stop everything that temporarily hits your stop and then goes on to win. You'll move it up and down trying to improve it but all you'll do is either have bigger loses and miss a fewer winners, or smaller loses and miss more winners and you'll be no better off whatever you do.

Eventually you realise you're betting so you probably ought to look at the PL of your bets, not markets PLs which are just random subtotals of many bets. And you'll find any profit you were were getting is from your initial bets ie the ones you actually put effort into choosing. And just losses from the stop bets, because they're random mug bets based on your balance. You might as well just stake smaller and let them go rather than staking like a hero then having to exit with any old -EV bet just to shed liability.
So much good advice.
Trader724

A stop is still a bet and it matters a lot where it is placed, it makes the difference between profit and loss in the long run if it is placed when and where it should be, but if you place it arbitrarily then you only limit how much you lose and how often you win.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”