BetConnect - New Social Betting Platform

sportingcraig

Thanks for the welcome Derek. I didn’t even realise that was my maiden post, I’ve been an occasional visitor – and lurker – here for a few years. A Google search for Betconnect brought me to this thread.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, there could well be a fault line in Betconnect’s model.

According to Betconnect’s PR around their pre-launch, there are potentially three ways for layers to make profits with them.

Firstly, layers can do just that, and take on the risk of the bet themselves.

Alternatively, layers can match Pros’ bets and back the same stake with the bookies, hoping to profit from price boosts, BOG, free bet clubs, win by 2+ lengths boosts and various other bonuses.

Finally, layers can identify winning Pros and copy their bets, so if laying the Pro £25 at 4/1 the layer would bet, perhaps, £50 with the bookie at 4/1. BOG or other bonuses could help here too.

So, layers can hunt out and connect with ‘pros’ who are actually so bad that it’s profitable for the layer to stand their bets? Sounds great in theory, but why are such poor judges going to continue using Betconnect? They’ll throw in the towel sooner rather than later, probably when they run out of funds to lose. This is backed up by analysing the performance of the Betconnect Pros.

As of this afternoon, there are 84 Pros who’ve had at least one bet. The 84 have had between them 6,552 bet requests matched by layers for a total of 9,167 points, and are showing a small gross loss of 92 points, which is -1% ROI. Actual net losses will be higher, as Betconnect deduct their 3% commission from all winning bets.

A minority of the Pros actually win money, only 38 of the 84, which is just over 45%.
These 38 winning Pros backed 4,843 of the 6,552 bet requests, which is nearly 74%.
The 38 winning Pros had 872 connections with layers, which is nearly 71% of total connections.

For me these figures confirm what logic would suggest. Winning Pros are far more active, with nearly three times as many bets struck as losing ‘Pros’. The 46 losers, who account for nearly 55% of the 84 Pros, only have about 26% of the bets. They tend to just give up and quit using Betconnect after incurring their losses.

I don’t see much mileage in layers trying to identify losing Pros and connecting with them. By the time it becomes clear that a losing Pro really is useless and hasn’t just been experiencing a bit of bad luck, in other words when their sample size becomes reasonable, that losing Pro will probably be about ready to quit anyway.

Sure, if you’d layed each and every bet request to date you’d be showing a profit of 1% on turnover, but is that likely to continue into the future? I doubt that it will. The existing small number of winning pros will probably still keep betting with Betconnect layers, probably gradually ratcheting up their stakes as their banks grow. Over time, new Pros will join Betconnect and the Darwinian selection process will be repeated for each intake. The losers will go extinct, and the winners will stay with Betconnect, increasing their stakes over time.

So that leaves us with the winners, and to Derek’s point about bookmakers inevitably closing winning accounts. A layer who accommodates a winning Betconnect Pro will simply have to back with the bookies, as if they stand the bets themselves they’ll be cleaned out.

As mentioned in my post above, some firms such as Bet Victor now offer separate, ‘guaranteed odds’ books, where they’ll lay a horse to lose £500 to any customer. But those separate books rarely offer top market odds, which tends to be exactly what Betconnect Pros ask for.

Therefore, most layed bets will subsequently be backed on ‘normal’ bookmaker accounts. Once the account holder is identified as a value taker, restrictions will follow.
...the only purpose for a full set of bookie accounts is to extort as much money as you can out of them, while you can. It has to be done quickly as it's a race against time.
Absolutely correct there, Derek. Betconnect might become a useful outlet for the growing number of multi-account holders, particularly once the current 0% exchange commission war comes to an end, as surely it must.

One thing that Betconnect could do is to enable layers to make counter offers to Pro backers. There are still some line trackers among the Pros, who only ever ask for top market odds, often standout prices. This isn’t good for bookmaker account longevity, as their customer profiling algorithms will soon pick up on this behaviour. Why shouldn’t a layer be able to counter with what he feels is a more realistic price?

Currently, layers can only take or leave a bet request – too many of the latter, and the layer faces the risk of being shuffled to the back of the queue for future bets. I feel that this procedure is weighted against the layer – it’s got to be equally fair to both parties, or the Betconnect ecosystem won’t be in balance over the longer term.
Derek27

chris2785 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:32 pm
What does everyone think of Betconnect, you can take on the Pro and lay his / her bet only, or back it yourself, in the hope the Pro knows their stuff.

Interesting concept

Chris
From my experience most of the 'pros' are arbers - they only tip horses at prices above what the exchange is offering.
pwayman

Just came across this post and was wondering whether anyone had used this platform seriously? I saw the 0% commission and so used the £50 introductory offer although havent gone much further. Wondering if anyone else had more experience of using it properly?
ilovepizza82

I just saw this on twitter:
"At #Betconnect all horse racing bets will attract 0% commission for the whole of November."

Looks like a pretty decent offer (and opportunities) me thinks.
Euler

Latest accounts released today, show they have burnt through £4.5m so far.
ShaunWhite

Did anyone from here sit in on the betconnect virtual presentation today?
LeTiss

Was it advertised anywhere?

This is the first I've heard
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:00 pm
Was it advertised anywhere?

This is the first I've heard
It was promoted on the other forum, I think they're at the stage where they're looking for people to get involved with the api and get some liquidity going so maybe target the more techy types for now.

I didn't wacth it myself as I don't think it's got much to offer me but they're going to be posting a recording soon I think, so I might ffwd through it.

...the main selling point seemed to be that attendees got a free mug so I'm not sure the offering on it's own was much of a draw.
LeTiss

I'd forgotten all about them to be perfectly honest. I hadn't heard anthing about them for quite a while
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:17 pm
I'd forgotten all about them to be perfectly honest. I hadn't heard anthing about them for quite a while
They're still sniffing around, they seem to have wormed their way into the open source project, paying for drinks nights etc. I see the advantage for them but don't know what the motivation is for Liam, presumably a big backhander.

I usually just skim through the other forum because I'm not a python/flümine guy so most of it isn't useful to me......but I don't use BA much, so this place isn't exactly a good fit either.
transferFunds

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:47 pm

I usually just skim through the other forum because I'm not a python/flümine guy so most of it isn't useful to me......but I don't use BA much, so this place isn't exactly a good fit either.
What's the 'other forum' Shaun? Thanks.
Euler

Python coding group
Euler

Most recent accounts just arrived in my inbox. £6.2m in losses so far.
LeTiss

Euler wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:02 pm
Clearly unsustainable
gstar1975

LeTiss wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:05 pm
Euler wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:02 pm
Clearly unsustainable
I dont know some successful businesses make a loss in there first year.

Return to “Alternative betting exchanges, Smarkets, Matchbook etc.”