Replicating Excel Sheets in Python

robsmith

I've got a few Excel sheets that contain numerous formulas and half a million rows of data. The number crunching has got too heavy for excel to handle so I am looking at other options python in particular.

What's the most straightforward way of replicating the functionality? Would it be best to start from scratch and build the formulas individually or is there a better way?

Thanks
ShaunWhite

robsmith wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:28 pm
I've got a few Excel sheets that contain numerous formulas and half a million rows of data. The number crunching has got too heavy for excel to handle so I am looking at other options python in particular.

What's the most straightforward way of replicating the functionality? Would it be best to start from scratch and build the formulas individually or is there a better way?

Thanks
I share your pain rob. F9 is taking an eternity. My plan is to just stick it all in SQL and query it (probably from Excel). There's better ways I'm sure using some of the newer tools and guys like Liam are all over those, but I've got myself a bit behind curve on that kind of thing. 'Matplotlib' is a name I've heard mentioned.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=20903&p=219222&hilit=chart#p219222
robsmith

Thanks Shaun. With the IPL cancelled I've got the rest of may to get amongst it.
ShaunWhite

robsmith wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 pm
Thanks Shaun. With the IPL cancelled I've got the rest of may to get amongst it.
Betting for a living isn't quite the rock'n'roll lifestyle some people imagine it is. :) To use terms from your chosen sport, hitting that crowd pleasing shot is the result of a lot of time in the nets.
Emmson

Too true, its pure drudgery 95% of the time. ^^^
Vovsen

I would suggest switching it over to SQL/Python + PowerBI (or other BI tool)

They have become the most used apps on this forum (outside Excel) and other trading/data/AI related forums, and generally in most companies as well

I would say that is the most straightforward logical next step and personally my main focus is on Python and PowerBI
robsmith

Thanks guys. I've been playing around with Pandas using Jupiter Notebook and replicating the formulas is quite straightforward. It's just the number of formulas that will take the time...
PeterLe

Rob, depending upon which way you go; I would recommend these two courses, I did them both:

https://www.udemy.com/course/mysql-for-data-analysis/

https://www.udemy.com/course/python-for-excel-users

Suggest you take a look at the excel one first to see if its meets your needs (Dont pay more that £15 for it)
robsmith

Thanks Peter, I'll do that.

Return to “Technology”