CPU

madgoose101

Hi,Bet Angel with one chart open is using 45-50% CPU, this is slowing down my laptop some what(4GB DDR3 1000GB HDD),is this normal ?.As trading on the event ceases the CPU returns to normal 2-8%.
laurencestanley

That doesn't sound great. What CPU do you have?

Can you be sure it is Bet Angel causing the CPU spike? If you post a screenshot of your resource monitor in order of CPU usage, that should help diagnose the problem.
ShaunWhite

Hi madgoose

Just to give you some sort of comparison, i run...

BA on 200ms refresh
4 ladders each with the bf price/volume graphs
the market overview window
the advanced charting window with 3 complex graphs
Guardian (1 sec refresh)
a market data capture spreadsheet (full market capture once per second)
Firefox(s) showing Betfair, Betfair api status, racecards, the RacingUK live stream and ATR live stream simultaneously

..and my CPU runs at about 45%, cool and quiet

My system is ...
Intel i7-3770 @ 3.5Ghz
8GB ram
SSD system drive
GeForce GTX950 with 3 monitors, all running at 2560 x 1440 (QHD), 7680 x 1400 in total
64-bit Excel 2016
Windows 10
Wired BT Infinity II (usually connected at about about 60meg)
...and not forgetting the classic 'I love Spreadsheets' mug

Back to your issue...
You may have a number of services and backgroud apps running that you don't really need?
Are you running it plugged in and on 'max performance' mode?

If you still need help, let me know...i've never got much performance out of laptops so you might need to brace yourself for doing some spending (aka investing).
Good luck
workpeter

ShaunWhite's configuration is a beast!
My laptop specs are quite ordinary and i don't get slow down.

You mention things slow down when opening a graph. Id download a GPU monitor to see if there is a bottleneck with your graphics cards.
convoysur-2

clean up your machine,,try advanced system care .you can get it free if you know about theses things,
and run cc cleaner,
defrag your hard drive .and update all your drivers,
Euler

Charts tend to be graphic intensive so will stress the CPU unless there is a dedicated GPU
ShaunWhite

Another idea....maybe you could dial down the BA/graph refresh rate? ..depending what you're doing of course.

You might also want to look at your advanced power settings even if you run it on the mains, there's a setting in there somewhere that let's you choose to the cooling strategy, either slowing the processor or speeding up the fan.

Another option might be to use VPS ? That will hand all of the processing over to a dedicated server....if you can view streamed video ok you should be fine on VPS. You laptop will then just be displaying what is happening on your personal server, and you send it keystrokes.

It's a principal from the dawn of computing, you have a dumb terminal on your desk and share a computer somewhere else. It's an old trick but give it a fancy new name and a powerpoint presentation and everyone thinks it's the lastest thing.

I've always thought that was the way to go, and renting software per minute at micro charges (i see the lastest version of office has finally cashed-in on that idea). I've never understood why everyone has spent trilions creating and buying more and more powerful home tech when all we ever needed was a telly, a keyboard and blisteringly fast connection to a state-of-the-art server.
staker72

The culprit could be Excel. Versions since 2007 can seem to eat resources particularly if you are updating it directly i.e. every 200ms and if you have lots of lookups that will make it worse
ShaunWhite

staker72 wrote:The culprit could be Excel. Versions since 2007 can seem to eat resources particularly if you are updating it directly i.e. every 200ms and if you have lots of lookups that will make it worse
I'm not sure the OP is running Excel, and personally I've found it to be the other way round.
When I moved from 32-bit Excel 2002 to the new 2016 64-bit version (which I hate) on the same machine, my Excel VBA and macros ran almost exactly 10 times faster...10 !
madgoose101

Hi,Sorry for the delay in replying,have been away on holiday.Thanks for all your replies,i have enough information from you all to start searching for a solution.If i continue to encounter problems i will post a screen shot,thanks again for all your replies.
Dallas

Another tip for you to try is creating a seperate windows user profile and log on with that when trading and use it solely for that, this will keep unwanted background programs you may have running on your regular profile down to a minimum.
convoysur-2

Dallas wrote:Another tip for you to try is creating a seperate windows user profile and log on with that when trading and use it solely for that, this will keep unwanted background programs you may have running on your regular profile down to a minimum.
good idea ,,thanks for that
gstar1975

Hi there can anyone help with High CPU usage when Betfair Live Video is playing?
ShaunWhite

gstar1975 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:10 pm
Hi there can anyone help with High CPU usage when Betfair Live Video is playing?
Is it similar when you stream other video sources? iPlayer, Vimeo, YT live streams etc or only BLV. If so you might find more info on sites dealing with those issues?
gstar1975

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:00 pm
gstar1975 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:10 pm
Is it similar when you stream other video sources? iPlayer, Vimeo, YT live streams etc or only BLV. If so you might find more info on sites dealing with those issues?
Its just when I use Betfair Live Video.

Return to “Technology”