Which UPS are you using?

The Silk Run

Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:21 pm
Tuco wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:30 pm
Over time ALL batteries lose their ability to keep a full charge even lithium ion batteries - yes even lithium ion batteries!
I'm guaranteed a minimum of 80% capacity after 3,000 + cycles with lithium Phosphate batteries. I don't believe ANY lead acid AGM battery manufacturer can guarantee this.

Also the maximum discharge of even a deep-cycle lead acid battery or gel is only 30-50% of it's capacity, unlike lithium which can be fully discharged.

In short, and having spent many hundreds of hours researching battery technology, I am of like mind with MegaRain: Lithium is the way to go for batteries... Period.

Lithium batteries are smaller, lighter, last longer and can be discharged fully. No contest versus lead acid or gel batteries, in my opinion.

CS
This by no means a criticism of what, and how you procure your products, no at all ...

But, interesting to note that the Taliban are sat on one of the largest Lithium reserves in the world, blood minerals !!!
That's why PRC & USSR were so, so pleased when the USA ran away from Afghanistan.
Derek27

In the last ten years, I once woke up and found my bedside clock flashing, which may suggest there was an overnight power outage, but other than that I don't think I've encountered a power cut. Probably had one or two hundred Betfair outages in that time so a power cut is the very least of my worries. :)
foxwood

Like Tuco says, APC units are one of the best. Had them for years at last house where very frequent power outages. Seamless since is always powered from battery - hence uninterruptible. Beeps regularly while mains power out so you will know the mains is off and not recharging. Also eliminates variable voltages and spikes - smooth since wave output.

The length of time it will keep you going decays over the years. Replaced once in 10 years usage but you can buy replacement batteries these days.

Work out the wattage for your system including displays, modem, printer etc as needed and add 50% for future changes then decide how long do you need to keep the system up and running over an outage. Then pick from the specifications.

You might need 2+ hours if you just do football or 15 mins for horses inplay - tennis and cricket a lot more :D
Crazyskier

Kai wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:38 pm
Thanks guys, given me plenty to think about, first and foremost need to grab a unit to ensure both protection (from brownouts, surges etc) and smooth power to my main desktop computer
Crazyskier wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:21 pm
In short, and having spent many hundreds of hours researching battery technology, I am of like mind with MegaRain: Lithium is the way to go for batteries... Period.
Any special notes on overall safety and safe handling of those units? When compared to lead-acid batteries
They're fully sealed and you never need to top them up. It's the same tech as used in mobile phones, so perfectly safe as long as you're sensible when moving.

My Bluetti AC200 MAX generator moves happily between a chair in the dining room and my car boot when going on long trips and wanting free energy from the 12V socket. That's one of the benefits, they are portable and can have pass-through charging using 240V to top up and running the PC and monitor plugs via the in-built inverter, guaranteeing a 100% UPS of several hours, even under a hard (400-600W) load.

I'd definitely recommend looking at Bluetti or any LiFePo4 generator for UPS, which is why I took this route. There are 4 x 240V AC power outlets (same as the regular household wall plug) in addition to the many USB-A and USB- C outlets on the one I chose. I even trim the trees and mow the lawns using it in the garden in the summer to save having to stretch an extension lead!

CS
Tuco

...each to their own, but this example is one of the very reasons why I don't and won't use lithium-ion batteries in a UPS set-up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-leeds-64877955

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21627927/ ... -explodes/

good luck to those using lithium-ion batteries that are constantly connected to the mains!

Lithium-Ion Batteries.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazyskier

Tuco wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:24 am
...each to their own, but this example is one of the very reasons why I don't and won't use lithium-ion batteries in a UPS set-up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-leeds-64877955

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21627927/ ... -explodes/

good luck to those using lithium-ion batteries that are constantly connected to the mains!

Lithium-Ion Batteries.jpg
I absolutely agree. I never plug my Lithium Phosphate (Bluetti AC200 Max) power bank to the mains.

I use purely photo voltaic (solar panels) and 12V car charger for free electricity, which has worked perfectly for almost 2 years as a UPS for my sim-based 5G wi-fi router and mobile phone / laptop / desktop for work and trading.

CS
Tuco

...the set-up and backup battery power that both you CS and Mega have appear to be exceptionally good, perhaps overkill, but that all depends upon ones needs, circumstances, location etc...
Crazyskier

Tuco wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:24 pm
...the set-up and backup battery power that both you CS and Mega have appear to be exceptionally good, perhaps overkill, but that all depends upon ones needs, circumstances, location etc...
Yes, 2kWh is more than my needs given the charge-through (charge as you output power) ability. I did have a Jackery 1000 initially, and it was wonderful but only standard lithium so it fades after 800 or so cycles (2-3 years typically). The Bluetti is the very latest lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO 4) that does a guaranteed 3000+ cycles and therefore in my view, worth the investment. I also use for camping with an air fryer, toaster, microwave and hair dryer all being used from it in our motorhome, where it also charges the AGM leisure battery. Yes - I'm something of a fanboy of the tech.

CS
ShaunWhite

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:30 pm
Tuco wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:24 pm
Yes, 2kWh is more than my needs given the charge-through (charge as you output power) ability. I did have a Jackery 1000 initially, and it was wonderful but only standard lithium so it fades after 800 or so cycles (2-3 years typically). The Bluetti is the very latest lithium iron phosphate battery (LiFePO 4) that does a guaranteed 3000+ cycles and therefore in my view, worth the investment. I also use for camping with an air fryer, toaster, microwave and hair dryer all being used from it in our motorhome, where it also charges the AGM leisure battery. Yes - I'm something of a fanboy of the tech.

CS
That of this makes me so glad I'm automated. Amazon have their own powerstation:)

"air fryer, toaster, microwave and hair dryer"... And you call that camping !? :D

Return to “Technology”