VPS in Australia. How does betangel route traffic?

johnsheppard

Hello there,

I am BetAngel newbie and I am in the market for a VPS. However, I was wondering, how does betangel route traffic? Does it always go to the UK end point or does it go to the Australian end point if you have an IP from australia?

Does betangel route through their servers, or is all the communication direct with betfair?

I just wonder whether I should have a VPS in Australia if I am in Australia or whether any VPS will do?

Thanks heaps for any thoughts
John
richbeales

You'll want the VPS to be in the same physical/geographic location as Betfair. The traffic to the betfair API originates from the VPS (or wherever BetAngel is installed).
Euler

Betfair no longer have an API that is based in Australia now. They used to have a data centre in Tasmania, but that was cut to save costs. So all traffic is rooted through the UK now.
northbound

So, you should have a UK VPS, which is basically a remote computer with a UK IP address.

Betangel VPS is a UK VPS.

No matter where you are in the world, you connect your computer to the VPS.

On the VPS, you install Betangel.

Betangel connects directly to Betfair servers located in the UK.
northbound

Your computer —> UK based VPS —> Betangel —> Betfair UK servers
spreadbetting

I thought Betfair's data servers all relocated to Dublin, not sure they'd like to be considered UK based :o
pythonic

spreadbetting wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 am
I thought Betfair's data servers all relocated to Dublin, not sure they'd like to be considered UK based :o
Geolocation providers have conflicting information about the betfair IPs. I have not found a significant difference in ping times between a VPS in Dublin and in London.
johnsheppard

Thanks Guys, really appreciate the advice.

Would Betfair care that I would have a UK based IP address? or for them its a non issue? I know that I have had to use a non-australia proxied IP address in the past in order to bet in-play due to legislation in australia....they didnt complain about that...

Thank you once again
Euler

There are a lot of Aussie customers that do this, to my knowledge none have had any problems.
johnsheppard

Euler wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:39 am
There are a lot of Aussie customers that do this, to my knowledge none have had any problems.
Thank you. Sounds like the UK is the place to get a VPS then.
whimsies

I don't have a problem being in aus with a uk vpn.
johnsheppard

whimsies wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:52 am
I don't have a problem being in aus with a uk vpn.
Did you mean VPS or VPN? For mine the only purpose of a VPN would be for accessing bookies? or if you are wanting to bet inplay on Australia events like football or cricket or what not.

My purpose for a VPS is mostly for reliability of connection when I start running a bot (NBN in Australia is a bit of a joke....at least in my house it is...when I say joke, I mean...a terrible joke...the kind that makes people want to kill people....even placid friendly people...)
sumeetkhode

Hi, I am a newbie to trading and I am more interested in this topic. How do I get a uk betfair is VPN...as Australians do not allow I play...
whimsies

Sorry vps
KJLP60

Hi All,

I am wondering whether I'm better off manual trading using a VPS based in Ireland vs without it from Australia. The user experience is obviously better without, but I can see the matched bets info and other backend info faster with the VPS. It seems like placing and cancelling bets happens faster with a vps but theres a delay with keystrokes and the mouse so it's really hard to tell if there's much difference.

Any opinions on this?

Return to “Technology”