Gaming desktop PC

Derek27

Hi all, I've been looking at quad-core Pentium desktops when I saw some gaming desktops for just an extra £100. My question is, would a gaming PC, which I presume has a faster graphics card, be just as suitable for trading software.

Or would a quad-core Pentium not gaming orientated be sufficient to run the latest Microsoft flight simulator?

Realistically I'll barely have time to play with my flight simulator nevermind get into other games, unless I just fly long distances and trade in-flight. :)
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:06 pm
My question is, would a gaming PC, which I presume has a faster graphics card, be just as suitable for trading software.
Absolutely, there's no real difference. With the amount of video work that I do for my trading anyway having a fast graphics card is almost a must, just like it is for gaming.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Recommended Requirements:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K or AMD Ryzen 7 1700 or better.
RAM: 12 GB.
VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX 470 or GeForce GTX 1070 or better.

Depends on the graphics card but in short i9 > i7 > i5 > i3 > Pentium > Celeron. As you can see based off their recommendation a Pentium would be too far down the list from the recommended i7 processor. A lot of people build their own setup to get maximum bang for buck and extra customization, since prebuilt setups can vary too much and a good chunk of the money can go into the components you don't need or want, and not enough where you want it to go.

Quad core is getting a bit outdated and it would be a better choice to go for octa core at least, especially if you plan on multitasking. If you're looking to somewhat future proof your PC, that for me is going for a strong CPU (current best buy at least) with a fast SSD and a mid/high tier best buy GPU. Since the GPU is usually the first thing to get outdated you can just keep upgrading the GPU every couple of years and selling the old one or whatever, to maintain peak performance without fiddling with your core setup too much. That's what I did.

Regarding the monitor I would go for at least 144hz refresh rate, your eyes will thank you later :)
Derek27

Thanks Kai. :)

Return to “Technology”