Cores, Threads, Clock Speed and Bet Angel

spreadbetting

jimibt wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:39 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:46 pm
What's a decent PC spec these days, I'm due an upgrade as the setup I use is at least 5 years old now :(
i use either my laptop (i5 with 16gb ram) or this one: https://www.ebuyer.com/909437-hp-eliteo ... ab94et-abu

this is actually in our bedroom but is an amazingly tidy setup - use it on occassion for BF but mostly just netflix, iplayer and * house admin*
I've been using a laptop i7-5500u for ages with additional screen when needed but got myself a new desk a while back and feel I should update to something more powerful. Mainly because I'm looking at coding a few more bots to run 24/7 so think I'll need the extra power to keep everything on track.
jimibt

spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:59 pm
jimibt wrote:
spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:46 pm
What's a decent PC spec these days, I'm due an upgrade as the setup I use is at least 5 years old now :(
i use either my laptop (i5 with 16gb ram) or this one: https://www.ebuyer.com/909437-hp-eliteo ... ab94et-abu

this is actually in our bedroom but is an amazingly tidy setup - use it on occassion for BF but mostly just netflix, iplayer and * house admin*
I've been using a laptop i7-5500u for ages with additional screen when needed but got myself a new desk a while back and feel I should update to something more powerful. Mainly because I'm looking at coding a few more bots to run 24/7 so think I'll need the extra power to keep everything on track.
i know it's teaching yer granny to suck eggs, but wouldn't a VPS be a better option?? you can get some pretty powerful combos now for less than £20 a month..
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:45 pm
I've only got laptops at the moment but I actually miss having one of those gigantic tower systems with a noisy fan. It makes you feel you've got some machinery working behind your trading. :)
Can't beat a tower because you can build them or upgrade them yourself on the cheap, and you can't do that with a laptop. Plus getting inside to clean it out now and then is a breeze, ditto adding new drives or cards. Why throw away a whole laptop when all you need is a new motherboard and latest chip?

They can be almost silent, I only hear a slight 'fizzing' noise from mine when the cpu goes over about 80% otherwise you can hardly tell it's on. But I've always been obsessive about my PCs being silent from back in the days when you could get those accoustic encloures for your hard disks, thank goodness for SSD and m2. I've never gone watercooled though, the biggest fans you can find moving at the lowest rpm you can get away with are quieter than a water pump.

MOST importantly, building a PC is much more fun than just opening a box, and you get to line up all the screw heads in exactly the same orientation as each other, or maybe that's just me. :oops:
spreadbetting

jimibt wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:08 pm
spreadbetting wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:59 pm
jimibt wrote:

i know it's teaching yer granny to suck eggs, but wouldn't a VPS be a better option?? you can get some pretty powerful combos now for less than £20 a month..
Certainly not teaching granny, I think I come across as a lot more coding savvy than I actually am :) a little knowledge goes a long way etc

I always worry people will steal my eggs if I use VPS :(
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:26 pm
...and you get to line up all the screw heads in exactly the same orientation as each other, or maybe that's just me. :oops:
I used to line things up on the mantle piece in a neat symmetrical order, and when I withdrew cash from the bank sort the notes into serial number order before putting it in my wallet. Never been concerned about the orientation of screws though. :P
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:35 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
...and you get to line up all the screw heads in exactly the same orientation as each other, or maybe that's just me. :oops:
I used to line things up on the mantle piece in a neat symmetrical order, and when I withdrew cash from the bank sort the notes into serial number order before putting it in my wallet. Never been concerned about the orientation of screws though. :P
Derek, have you seen the film “Sleeping with the Enemy” ?
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:09 pm
Derek27 wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
No, but I've just looked up the plot and saved myself 97 minutes. :D
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:24 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:09 pm
Derek27 wrote:

No, but I've just looked up the plot and saved myself 97 minutes. :D
The bad guy in it has all his tins of food facing the correct way in the cupboard and towels in the bathroom the same length and height on the rails. Reminded me of your comment.
Derek27

I have all my tins of food facing the correct way, but that's only so I grab the right tin.

What I don't like though, is having the next sheet of bog roll hanging from the dispenser from the wall side instead of the near side. That's why I fell out with Emily. ;)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:51 pm
I have all my tins of food facing the correct way, but that's only so I grab the right tin.

What I don't like though, is having the next sheet of bog roll hanging from the dispenser from the wall side instead of the near side. That's why I fell out with Emily. ;)
:lol:
Tuco

Derek27 wrote:
...quite right - that is a straight red card with no VAR needed :lol:
ShaunWhite

Tuco wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:29 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wall side, much tidier :D

lol funny how my comment about clocking screw heads as sparked a whole 'Sleeping With The Enemy' thing. I'm not that fussy generally, it's just with things like that cos it's a sign of a job well done
Screenshot_1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:04 pm
Tuco wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:29 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wall side, much tidier :D

lol funny how my comment about clocking screw heads as sparked a whole 'Sleeping With The Enemy' thing. I'm not that fussy generally, it's just with things like that cos it's a sign of a job well doneScreenshot_1.png
Bog roll on the wall side will scrap the paint/dust on the wall as you pull it, and then it goes up your arse. :lol: I can see the benefit of clocking screws that are visible on furniture, but not on a motherboard inside computer casing. :)

Ideally though, screw heads on furniture are an eyesore and should be covered up.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:23 pm
Bog roll on the wall side will scrap the paint/dust on the wall as you pull it
Get your fingernails cut :)
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:23 pm
I can see the benefit of clocking screws that are visible on furniture, but not on a motherboard inside computer casing.
Just habit really, tbh I think the practice is enoucouraged in certain trades just to instill mindfulness as much as any other purpose, it shows whoever did it was taking care and not just chucking things together. It's also a visual that they've all been done and none are just lose still. It's either that or OCD :)

I'm glad I didn't mention that the reverse side of all the washers on my bike have been polished too :roll: But that's mainly been so I look busy when 'she' looks in the garage, cos I'm usually just sat on my stool drinking tea, smoking and playing some tunes....aka avoiding housework. I'm an expert at looking busy, if the telly is on you're slacking, if you're banging about you're being productive. :lol:
Tuco

...attention to detail and observancy are qualities extremely helpful to being a successful trader 8-)

Return to “Technology”