Advice on Buying New Trading PC

eightbo

processor good

gfx card 1660 Ti more than enough for you. the RTX 2070 is nutty overkill you're basically paying £200 for the extra ports when you won't be using the extra power which comes with the card.

can get away with the 8gb RAM but too low for a 2020 new purchase imo (DDR4 is good though). it's the cheapest component in your pc so might as well go 16gb+ there and future-proof yourself a bit more.

512GB SSD / 1TB HDD setup is good.

big-inch 4k monitor and use 4x 1080p virtual monitors via 1 display port still seems like best option but if you want the 4x individual screens then display port daisy-chain or splitter or whatever should work fine without issues for your use case but research the specific device you intend on using and confirm it'll be ok before you purchase the pc. Some more monitor setups here for visual purposes only, no idea if they're a good price or not and never heard of the retailer.

and research/factor in differences between display port 1.2/1.4/2.0 hdmi 1.4/2.0/2.1
Dublin_Flyer

I agree with Eightbo, 2070 is definitely overkill unless you're doing some severe gaming or video editing.
Skinflint.co.uk is great for comparing component prices in pounds, or geizhals.eu for euro pricing.
Crazyskier

I'm using the RTX 2070 due to it's ray-tracing capabilities on a top-end water-cooled gaming rig (WOW, Diablo3, POE etc); and have to say it's a marked increase over my previous old gaming desktop. I use an i7-9700k CPU and 16G RAM and Fibre broadband wired in to the router and have zero issues, even when botting all horse races simultaneously and working on line.

I can't be of much assistance with more than one monitor, but my wide-screen curved Asus ROG is great for multiple pinned windows at 2560 x 1440 before minimising, (usually 4-5 overlaid). This allows more desk space and multi-tasking as I often work from home while trading / managing bots, etc. Personally I think many of the multi dedicated screen setups are unecessary and more due to ego / wishing to look professional than efficiency, in many cases.

Hope this helps

CS
Leeds1919

Definitely lots of stuff to look into that I didnt consider when I posted the original message!

Some research to keep me busy over the next few days

Ta lads
Emmson

I've never owned a desktop and do all my trading on a laptop but thinking of buying one of those renewed Dell Optiplex's off Amazon/EBay coz they're dirt cheap and there is plenty of choice.
eightbo

Emmson wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:02 pm
I've never owned a desktop and do all my trading on a laptop but thinking of buying one of those renewed Dell Optiplex's off Amazon/EBay coz they're dirt cheap and there is plenty of choice.
Yeah can go a long way with just a laptop. I'm doing all kinds of activity on a 15.6" 1080p display.

It's a low-end gaming laptop with an SSD / avg. gfx card / 120hz display so it's nice and smoother visually than a lot of more expensive setups and physically no problems either. Most i've ever had to push it so far which ran perfectly fine is: 4x Virtual Desktops ; 6 bots running simultaneously; multiple API products open totalling 10+ markets ready for manual trading at any time; chunky excel document etc. ; 3 google chromes open one of which running HD youtube videos for bg music.

if anyone's out there and they don't know about windows virtual desktops; get to know. I was originally gonna get a setup like this but have found I don't even need them as VDs are fine.

VD Shortcuts:
Create new VD: Windows+Ctrl+D
Close current VD: Windows+Ctrl+F4 (open applications collapse into the previous VD)
Switch between VD's: Windows+Ctrl+Left / Windows+Ctrl+Right

Only improvement I want to make is plugging in a 2nd display via the HDMI 2.0 port turned vertically so I have more prices visually accessible to me but I see that more as an accessory and I don't believe it would tax the system much during desktop use.

Only bottleneck is can't play fav. games at enough fps. Good thing I've found a new game I suppose... :mrgreen:

Look forward to building a new mini-itx setup at some pt in next year then laptop can become the backup, should be able to move about w both of those fairly easily if needed
Dallas

eightbo wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:03 pm
Emmson wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:02 pm
Yeah can go a long way with just a laptop. I'm doing all kinds of activity on a 15.6" 1080p display.

It's a low-end gaming laptop with an SSD / avg. gfx card / 120hz display so it's nice and smoother visually than a lot of more expensive setups and physically no problems either. Most i've ever had to push it so far which ran perfectly fine is: 4x Virtual Desktops ; 6 bots running simultaneously; multiple API products open totalling 10+ markets ready for manual trading at any time; chunky excel document etc. ; 3 google chromes open one of which running HD youtube videos for bg music.

if anyone's out there and they don't know about windows virtual desktops; get to know. I was originally gonna get a setup like this but have found I don't even need them as VDs are fine.

VD Shortcuts:
Create new VD: Windows+Ctrl+D
Close current VD: Windows+Ctrl+F4 (open applications collapse into the previous VD)
Switch between VD's: Windows+Ctrl+Left / Windows+Ctrl+Right

Only improvement I want to make is plugging in a 2nd display via the HDMI 2.0 port turned vertically so I have more prices visually accessible to me but I see that more as an accessory and I don't believe it would tax the system much during desktop use.

Only bottleneck is can't play fav. games at enough fps. Good thing I've found a new game I suppose... :mrgreen:

Look forward to building a new mini-itx setup at some pt in next year then laptop can become the backup, should be able to move about w both of those fairly easily if needed
This is what you need
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... op-monitor
Wingnut

WOW!! I only use a 2017 MacBook Pro, 1 HDMI port for one screen and display port for the other screen. Run parallels to use BA and Excel. Nicked a spreadsheet off here that records all the data plus more and all my trades. I only trade horse racing pre-off (I say trade, still in the learning process). Guardian keeps up with my spreadsheet and refreshing fine. I even manage to play FS19 sometimes too as my sit back and chill when I've cocked something up that should of been easily avoidable.
LeTiss

I had my desktop made for me by www.multiplemonitors.co.uk with a quad screen set up

Superb service. I'd recommend them to anyone - they will build whatever you ask for
Dallas

LeTiss wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:08 pm
I had my desktop made for me by www.multiplemonitors.co.uk with a quad screen set up

Superb service. I'd recommend them to anyone - they will build whatever you ask for
Thanks, that looks really good and handy

I'll bookmark them for my next upgrade
The Silk Run

According to palate you may also want to consider gaming hardware, suitably priced both ends of the spectrum.
jamesedwards

I put together a PC with decent gaming specs and I've never been able to push it to anything above 50% despite running multiple media, office and betting software simultaneously. Best thing I have ever done and £1500 well spent to have everything running smoothly with no errors, crashing or buffering anymore. I went with Ryzen 9 3900XT, TUF gaming motherboard, 32GB RAM, nVidia 2070 super, M.2 SSD for the OS.
eightbo

Dallas wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:13 pm
You're normally spot on Dallas but I did link to them in my post (hyperlink), plus p. sure I was the first guy on here to mention the Trio's,
you even thanked me for posting them

and for reasons I stated... no, I don't need !!

I'll forgive you for skimming, this time... :)
eightbo

jameegray1 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:02 am
I put together a PC with decent gaming specs and I've never been able to push it to anything above 50% despite running multiple media, office and betting software simultaneously. Best thing I have ever done and £1500 well spent to have everything running smoothly with no errors, crashing or buffering anymore. I went with Ryzen 9 3900XT, TUF gaming motherboard, 32GB RAM, nVidia 2070 super, M.2 SSD for the OS.
nutty overkill. you'll be good for the next decade as a trader, could probs even place a few back and lays in virtual reality if you wanted :twisted:
The Silk Run

jameegray1 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:02 am
That sounds kool ...

Return to “Technology”