VPS access from PC using mobile hotspot data

Wildly

I was away from my WiFi access and using my PC with internet access by hotspotting my iphone data.
This left me unable to log into my BetAngel VPS.

Is there a setting I need to change to allow this access or an extra step to log in please ?
gazuty

Wildly wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:58 am
I was away from my WiFi access and using my PC with internet access by hotspotting my iphone data.
This left me unable to log into my BetAngel VPS.

Is there a setting I need to change to allow this access or an extra step to log in please ?
I have not had that issue and have access the vps in all manner of ways.

However one issue I have come across is some workplaces etc might block access to vps/VPN.

When you say “my pc” is it a work laptop or in fact your own pc? Any reason your phone internet would block the vps address. Again if phone is a work phone could be blocked by your IT department.

I’m assuming you were able to reach other sites no problem? Including sites in the uk?
Wildly

When you say “my pc” is it a work laptop or in fact your own pc? Any reason your phone internet would block the vps address. Again if phone is a work phone could be blocked by your IT department.

I’m assuming you were able to reach other sites no problem? Including sites in the uk?
Hi Gazuty,
Using my PC, nothing work related on it. Same PC that I'm using now to access BetAngel VPS now I'm back with WiFi access.
Also my iphone, some work access apps loaded on the iphone but I don't think that's the issue as I can access my Bet Angel VPS on the iphone using RD Client app.

While hotspotting I was able to access other websites including bookmakers. I didn't try accessing any other UK site.

A search on the issue of accessing remote desktop while using phone to hotspot brings up many with issues over many years. Too many.
Euler

I've never had an issue doing that where ever I have been around the world. You are essentially connecting to an IP address so the routing shouldn't make that much difference and it's impossible for the hotspot to know what you are connecting to.
gazuty

Wildly wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:09 pm
Hi Gazuty,
Using my PC, nothing work related on it. Same PC that I'm using now to access BetAngel VPS now I'm back with WiFi access.
Also my iphone, some work access apps loaded on the iphone but I don't think that's the issue as I can access my Bet Angel VPS on the iphone using RD Client app.

While hotspotting I was able to access other websites including bookmakers. I didn't try accessing any other UK site.

A search on the issue of accessing remote desktop while using phone to hotspot brings up many with issues over many years. Too many.
Out of interest I just went to log in to my vps using Remote Desktop from my iPhone and couldn’t. But then I realised the IP address details had fallen out of the preset. And I had to put them back in manually.

I just mention in case of the off chance that was issue for you.

Otherwise I’m out of ideas.
Wildly

gazuty wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 am
Wildly wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:09 pm
Hi Gazuty,

Out of interest I just went to log in to my vps using Remote Desktop from my iPhone and couldn’t. But then I realised the IP address details had fallen out of the preset. And I had to put them back in manually.
No it wasn't that. The IP address was there as normal.
I'm wondering if it was the way I was setting up hotspot,
ie. Connect using WiFi, or
Bluetooth pairing phone, or
USB.

I wasn't using USB.
I don't think that should matter and remember I was able to access other sites through the hotspot I set up.
I'll switch off my WiFi later and experiment.

Could there have been a Windows Server update that changed this and no one here has noticed as they are not travelling ?
Can the server/remote machine being accessed see if access is coming from 2 machines not 1 ?
Euler

What version of Windows server are you running and have you changed ports on it recently?
Wildly

Euler wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 am
What version of Windows server are you running and have you changed ports on it recently?
You might have to step me through finding that please Peter.
When I search "How to check Windows server version in Windows 10"
Start > Settings > System > About
tells me my local PC has System type 64-bit operating system, x-64 based processor.

But is that my Windows "server" version ?
I haven't changed ports. Not knowingly anyway.

Windows edition is Windows 10 Pro
winver command tells me Windows 10 Version 2004

As is likely apparent, this is outside my field of knowledge.
Wildly

Wildly wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 am
Euler wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:30 am
You might have to step me through finding that please Peter.
When I search "How to check Windows server version in Windows 10"
Start > Settings > System > About
tells me my local PC has System type 64-bit operating system, x-64 based processor.

But is that my Windows "server" version ?
I haven't changed ports. Not knowingly anyway.

Windows edition is Windows 10 Pro
winver command tells me Windows 10 Version 2004

As is likely apparent, this is outside my field of knowledge.
On the BetAngel Server edition when I run winver it shows
Windows Server 2016
Version 1607
Euler

Very odd, we can swap it out for you if you want to try that.
Wildly

Odd in what way ?
Because the version should be different or because it should work with that version ?
Euler

No reason why it shouldn't be working.
Wildly

Working fine now. Tested with my home WiFi off and I have access no matter which way I set up hotspot. So no idea what I switched to cause the issue last weekend.
Thanks Peter and Gazuty for considering. I feel like I've just taken the car to the mechanic where it's started running perfectly :? :oops:
gazuty

Wildly wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:20 am
Working fine now. Tested with my home WiFi off and I have access no matter which way I set up hotspot. So no idea what I switched to cause the issue last weekend.
Thanks Peter and Gazuty for considering. I feel like I've just taken the car to the mechanic where it's started running perfectly :? :oops:
Reminds me of when I ring IT at work - almost guaranteed failure to replicate the problem.
Cannylodge

I use my hotspot whenever in not home no issues. You cant connect to pulic hotspots as it is a security issue.

Return to “Technology”