Anyone upgraded to Windows 11?

Derek27

The start button's been moved to the centre! :o

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/win ... date=22000
Emmson

:evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:51 pm
The start button's been moved to the centre! :o

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/win ... date=22000
I wonder if they've revamped File History so it actually works reliably? Think I'll stick to my third party backup stuff until I can muster the enthusiasm to test it out.
Realrocknrolla

I have on one laptop… which is newer.

The older laptop is compatible to upgrade but not been released yet!

There was a message saying update times will vary depending on systems.

I like it!
wearthefoxhat

Looks quite fresh compared to previous versions. Centred toolbar feature is okay.

Excel/Word looks a little sharper.

Email synchronised okay too.

Upgrade took about 45 minutes and restarted 3 times.
Derek27

Emmson wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:55 pm
I haven't looked at this so I'm not endorsing it but may be of interest. I was actually looking for bypassing or taking control of Windows 11 updates. Every new version seems to make it more difficult.

How to Bypass Windows 11 Requirements
Emmson

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:55 pm
Emmson wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:55 pm
I haven't looked at this so I'm not endorsing it but may be of interest. I was actually looking for bypassing or taking control of Windows 11 updates. Every new version seems to make it more difficult.

How to Bypass Windows 11 Requirements
Cheers Derek but I may not need that as after faffing around with Firmware settings, principally something called Trusted Platform Module 2.0 I'm getting a different message at least on the PC Health Checker
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emmson

In fact I am sidelining my NBA trading to get the bugger installed and running starting right now. :D
Tuco

"Anyone upgraded to Windows 11?"

...not yet - one laptop is ready and the upgrade is available but one laptop doesn't meet the minimum system requirements - I won't upgrade the first one for a while, maybe a couple of years as I'm quite happy with Win 10 Pro :)
Dallas

Tuco wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:21 pm
"Anyone upgraded to Windows 11?"

...not yet - one laptop is ready and the upgrade is available but one laptop doesn't meet the minimum system requirements - I won't upgrade the first one for a while, maybe a couple of years as I'm quite happy with Win 10 Pro :)
Ditto, It popped up on my main PC and test laptop about a week ago but I've ignored it on both for the time being, just run the regular updates on both at the time

I probably won't wait a few years but i'll be giving it a few months for sure
Derek27

When I upgrade an OS I like to do a clean install, which is a lot of work reinstalling and configuring the machine to how it was before. I'd recommend making a complete disk image of the old system so you can always roll back quickly, or even while you're in the process of upgrading to Windows 11.
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:00 pm
When I upgrade an OS I like to do a clean install, which is a lot of work reinstalling and configuring the machine to how it was before.
It doesn't have to be, you can record a short video of all the relevant settings prior to a clean install for a fast smooth transition. Or take a few screenshots at least. I always keep backup video clips of important settings, apps etc. Otherwise it can be a PITA.

You can also clone your Windows and stuff, keep a freshly installed template as backup etc.
ShaunWhite

Kai wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:
When I upgrade an OS I like to do a clean install, which is a lot of work reinstalling and configuring the machine to how it was before.
It doesn't have to be, you can record a short video of all the relevant settings prior to a clean install for a fast smooth transition. Or take a few screenshots at least. I always keep backup video clips of important settings, apps etc. Otherwise it can be a PITA.

You can also clone your Windows and stuff, keep a freshly installed template as backup etc.
It's a good idea to run audit software every now and then to remind you what you've got loaded esp for the things you don't use often.
I use this free one https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:07 pm
Derek27 wrote:

That would be about 100 pages of settings. I back up complex settings to registry files but there's no guarantee that would work with a new operating system. I've also got to test my backup and restore scripts to make sure they work as expected with the new system.
Crazyskier

Microsoft have said that they will support W10 until 2025, so there's no rush to upgrade to 11.

CS

Return to “Technology”