Mobile WiFi- does it work on Betangel?

Bigste83

I was wondering does anyone use their mobile phone network to connect their laptop to for Betangel when away from home? If so does it lag or cause any issues?
Newbrawn

This is a great question and I'm interested to know what others do when away from home too. I know there are various dongles etc but whether they are pokey enough to run BA I wouldn't know. My dream is to trade from my camper whilst touring the country. Would be great to live that dream :D
Euler

You can trade just fine on a decent mobile connection, but there will be the occasional problem with latency and dropped signals depending on where you are and if you are moving. Also data usage can be really high if you are using Bet Angel to it's full extent.

So when I'm travelling, I use a VPS with a mobile connection. I've done this literally from all four corners of the world. If you have an iPhone with esim capability, it's easy to sign up to a location carrier now.

A VPS is super lightweight on the connection and data usage and you have the benefit of being able to use it on different devices and have some safety if you lose connection for any reason.

www.betangel.com/vps/
wearthefoxhat

Not exactly an answer to your question, but a "mobile" solution all the same. (£20 a month - first 6 months @ £10)

My current 4G+ (plug in and play - no landline required) to be upgraded to 5G from April 23. Bet Angel software works well on the 4G+ network already. Goes into my laptop bag, easy to transport anywhere that has a plug...job's a goodun.

3 personal.png
5GHome.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazyskier

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:27 pm
Not exactly an answer to your question, but a "mobile" solution all the same. (£20 a month - first 6 months @ £10)

My current 4G+ (plug in and play - no landline required) to be upgraded to 5G from April 23. Bet Angel software works well on the 4G+ network already. Goes into my laptop bag, easy to transport anywhere that has a plug...job's a goodun.

3 personal.png

5GHome.png
I actually already have the Three 5G sim-based router that comes with me when I'm travelling in the motorhome, and I run it from the Bluetti power bank (only around 30W draw). It's a great plug n play solution for typically 150MB+ internet, so I can stream 4k Netflix while the bots are running with no issues. There's an interactive map of coverage too, so you can make sure your campsite or location for wild camping is covered before you travel.

CS
wearthefoxhat

Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:11 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:

3 personal.png

5GHome.png
I actually already have the Three 5G sim-based router that comes with me when I'm travelling in the motorhome, and I run it from the Bluetti power bank (only around 30W draw). It's a great plug n play solution for typically 150MB+ internet, so I can stream 4k Netflix while the bots are running with no issues. There's an interactive map of coverage too, so you can make sure your campsite or location for wild camping is covered before you travel.

CS
Nice one!

Would certainly recommend it for sure.

Anyone that's thinking about doing something similar, it's best to order it on-line as it gives you a 30 day money back option. Unlike if you bought it from the a 3-mobile shop directly.
ShaunWhite

Newbrawn wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:41 am
My dream is to trade from my camper whilst touring the country. Would be great to live that dream :D
Sat working in a van is a dream? You're not an ex-speed camera cop are you ? ;)
Bigste83

Cheers guys, this is great food for thought. Thanks for your help.
Newbrawn

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:28 pm
Newbrawn wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:41 am
My dream is to trade from my camper whilst touring the country. Would be great to live that dream :D
Sat working in a van is a dream? You're not an ex-speed camera cop are you ? ;)
Haha nooo I was thinking of more of a Lake Windermere view than the North Circular :D
sionascaig

Forget the NC500... Will be lucky to get 3g if anything at all on most of it,
Crazyskier

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:38 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:11 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:

3 personal.png

5GHome.png

CS
Nice one!

Would certainly recommend it for sure.

Anyone that's thinking about doing something similar, it's best to order it on-line as it gives you a 30 day money back option. Unlike if you bought it from the a 3-mobile shop directly.

I ordered from Three online and they sent me a FREE 42'' 4K TV as a gift after the first DD payments went through! Though I did tie in to a long £30 per month contract and they've come down since. I can heartily recommend the router though - it's bombproof. Many routers don't like being turned off every night to save battery (when in motorhome), but this one boots up in under a minute for a rock solid 5G (or 4G when unavailable as it's 2.4Ghz as well as 5Ghz dual band) connection.

CS

Return to “Technology”