Does a larger monitor increase size on screen

Galilee66

My eysight is deteriorating and I have diifficulty reading most things on the screen. I have asked BA support about increasing the size of the details within the ladder but it appears that 13.5 is the largest font size that can be used. I have also been advised to increase the height and width of the ladder cells which I have done. However, nothing has improved to any worhwhile degree. I am using a 23 inch monitor and I wondered whether using (say) a 32 inch monitor would improve the situation for me. I have read that the size of the monitor does not impact on the size of what is displayed on the screen. I currently have all the recommended display settings in place and am using Windows 10. I am getting deperate and have tried everthing except sacrificing chickens - I would sacrifice a virgin but in the suburb where I live it's easier to find a chicken.

I would appreciate any assistance.

regards from Melbourne
Galilee66
ArticalBadboy

If you lower the resolution of any monitor, the items on the screen including pictures, icons, and the font size appear larger.
If you increase the resolution of the monitor, the items on the screen including pictures, icons, and the font size appear smaller.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. In the Control Panel window, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display. In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab. Under Screen resolution, click and drag the horizontal slider control to change the screen resolution, and then click Apply.

You can also use the accessibility features of Windows such as using the Magnifier to see items on the screen easier.
Keyboard shortcuts:
Open Magnifier settings: Press Ctrl + Windows Logo Key + M.
Turn on Magnifier and Zoom in: Press Windows Logo Key + Plus sign (+)
Zoom out: Press Windows Logo Key + Minus sign (-)
Kai

Galilee66 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:27 am
I am using a 23 inch monitor and I wondered whether using (say) a 32 inch monitor would improve the situation for me.
Yes, but only if you find a rare one with a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels, which I assume your 23 inch screen is, otherwise getting a 2560x1440 res or a 4K res monitor which is the standard for 32inch screens will make matters much worse. See the image below for comparison.

Like people have said already (good advice btw), screen size matters but not as much as display resolution. 23 inch is too small for one screen setup, bigger is better. Monitor refresh rate matters too if you want a pleasant viewing experience, I would not get a monitor below 144hz refresh rate.

Besides updating your specs, in Windows display options you could increase the "Scale and layout" from 100% to something higher, which is good but this will not scale perfectly for all apps. You could also use the windows magnifier feature, but this is not much better than using a real life magnifier to read your screen. In browsing apps like Chrome can use the Zoom feature and this works perfectly, mine is set to 125% for most websites. If absolutely desperate, lower display resolution further below the recommended 1080p.

Pcpartpicker.com is the main website when picking out PC hardware, can play around with filters to see what's available, I have already quickly applied the three filters that would suit your use case, 32inch size, 1080p res, 144hz+ : https://au.pcpartpicker.com/products/mo ... 000&page=1

Kai

But goes without saying, 1080p on 32inch would be pretty extreme so things may look quite pixelated overall. Don't watch Netflix on it!
Archangel

I know for large 4k TV and upwards they recommend sitting closer to the screen than normal. I am not sure if this applys to PC monitors also
CK2021

Do what I do and just put your head closer to the screen, getting old is not as much fun as we thought :D

On a serious note as already been said above playing around with the resolutions should help you get the correct size in the end.
Galilee66

Thank you all for those suggestions. I will get a larger monitor and try adjusting the resolution and anything else that might help. I have exhausted the specsaver option and I am already putting my head within 8 inches of the screen, but that makes for an uncomfortable 5 or 6 hours. BTW - I have just turned 80 years old and I wondered if I am the oldest Bet Angel subsciber. If so it might be the only record I hold before I shuffle off to see that great Chief Steward in the sky.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Galilee66
sniffer66

When I first started in IT many years ago I remember some people had a magnifying Fresno style lens that fitted over the front of the monitor. Not sure if they still do them but that could be an option. You'll lose some clarity, obviously
ANGELS15

Galilee66 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:28 am
Thank you all for those suggestions. I will get a larger monitor and try adjusting the resolution and anything else that might help. I have exhausted the specsaver option and I am already putting my head within 8 inches of the screen, but that makes for an uncomfortable 5 or 6 hours. BTW - I have just turned 80 years old and I wondered if I am the oldest Bet Angel subsciber. If so it might be the only record I hold before I shuffle off to see that great Chief Steward in the sky.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Galilee66
I've noticed that schools and colleges are able to link their pcs to large screens like what you use for powerpoint presentations. Maybe something to look into? The screens I'm talking about are around 6' x 4' and you can see everything on the pc screen in a cinema like experience.

Return to “Technology”