Need opinions of the experienced traders

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
cemocan70

Hello folks trader nominee here, I'm trying to learn trading in bf almost 1.5 year, Tried many different strategies mostly on football and horses(only UK and IRE) and finally come to a point where my own creation bot profitable 23 days in a row, basically my bot looking for 3 conditions to met than placing a lay bets on first and second favs for 3 ticks profit with 5 ticks stoploss. The bot traded 691 races so far(approx 30 trades each race min 4 max 101) with 10p stakes. I've won 61% percent of my trades, wins and losses vary but avg. i'm making 1.75 when win and losing 1.3 (biggest win a race 9.7p and loss 5.95p) looks good i presume but here is the question; i did all of these in practise mode so my question will should i expect similar outcome in real mode? thanks in advance for your valuable opinions btw sorry for my bad english.
Jukebox

Its unlikely that you will have the same result in live as the market is never aware of your transactions in practice mode and therefore can't react to them. Why not try a couple of markets with the same file set up in both practice and live modes to compare them side by side.
cemocan70

Thank you jukebox for your reply, first can i run ba in practise and real mode in the same time? i didn't know that, yes you're absolutely right when saying market doesn't aware my transactions tbh deep in my mind i was thinking positive because my orders are relatively small 10p always but yes it's something important to consider , it's my first time seeing some automation profitable(even in practise mode) in many markets.
Jukebox

cemocan70 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:38 am
....can i run ba in practise and real mode in the same time?....
Yes you can.
You can open several BA sessions - each time you login you select if you want practice or live mode. So you can easily choose to have a practice session and a live session open side by side.
cemocan70

Owww thank you very much, What do think for smaller stakes maybe 5p or 2p to hiding in the que? of course this will be reduce winnings but the idea is not losing yes? :)
Jukebox

cemocan70 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:58 am
Owww thank you very much, What do think for smaller stakes maybe 5p or 2p to hiding in the que? of course this will be reduce winnings but the idea is not losing yes? :)
BF have minimum stake rules - the software may allow you to get around them but BF won't allow you to abuse them if they're continually not getting a commission from your transactions. Its not very sensible to put so much of your time into developing a strategy that at best can only earn you a tiny amount for a short time before you're cut off and can't even be scaled up.
cemocan70

sorry i think you got me wrong when i say 10p,5p or 2p i mean pounds min 2 pound bets won't create any problems i presume.
cemocan70

After testing my bot( only GB and IRE horse racing markets) with constant stakes of 2 pound back or lay for 2 months in practice mode it showed great success nearly 80% ROI, my aim is to sell 3 ticks higher and stop loss if the price went down 5 ticks, but when i've turn into real mode 4 days in the row i was in red so i stop, now i have a strange feeling that market is after my 2p stakes :-)))), I mean if even 2p stakes can change the markets reaction and movements i kind a feel like it's impossible to make money. Any thoughts from experienced traders?
Derek27

I've bookmarked this page as it's a frequent question. What it is, is that when you place your £2 bet in practice mode and trade for a profit, 10 pence might really have been matched at a lower price. Practice mode is designed for the practice of using the software, not practising trading, and it has to assume that your £2 was matched because the price went through it. So where you would have had a winning 10 pence trade, you're led to believe you had a £2 winning trade.

Instead of spending time in practise mode, use real £2 stakes while refining your strategy/bot. I understand you want to keep your losses down, that's generally a good attitude when you're trading, but not when you're learning to trade. You need to keep your stakes down, accept that you'll lose a few quid while learning and think of it as an investment while you're getting to grips with the mrakets.
cemocan70

thanks for your response Derek, the thing i'm really surprised is my 2p stakes is changing the behavior of the market, So let's say my 3 conditions are met and the bot lay the horse at odds of 2.00 so my good scenario(expecting) is the odds rises till 2.06 and close the trade with greening or bad scenario(not expecting but sometimes) odds fell down till 1.94 and and close trade with red, without touching the market(practice mode) after those conditions are met price moves 75-80% accordingly with my assumption, but when my 2p stakes enters the que everything changes tataaaaa that's weird for me i could understand if my stakes are higher let's say 100p or more but 2 p stakes in que where usually 300-500 waiting changing the movement of the price Waowww i say :-)
jamesedwards

Practise mode is a vital part of Bet Angel as it allows automations to be tested without fear of errors costing real £££s. Saved me thousands no doubt!

However, I never use practise mode for profitability testing and instead will use smallest possible stakes in real mode. This is for two reasons:
1) in real mode you will make some difference to the market and even a tiny impact can make a difference between long term profit and loss.
2) the practise mode algorithm means it will match any size of your stake against any stake available in the market at the best possible price so often you will find better value in practise mode vs real mode. eg if the market has £50 available to back at 6.0 and 10p at 6.2, practise mode will allow you to back £10 @ 6.2 whereas in real mode you would have only got £0.10 matched at 6.2 with the balance £9.90 matching at 6.0.
Derek27

cemocan70 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:22 am
thanks for your response Derek, the thing i'm really surprised is my 2p stakes is changing the behavior of the market, So let's say my 3 conditions are met and the bot lay the horse at odds of 2.00 so my good scenario(expecting) is the odds rises till 2.06 and close the trade with greening or bad scenario(not expecting but sometimes) odds fell down till 1.94 and and close trade with red, without touching the market(practice mode) after those conditions are met price moves 75-80% accordingly with my assumption, but when my 2p stakes enters the que everything changes tataaaaa that's weird for me i could understand if my stakes are higher let's say 100p or more but 2 p stakes in que where usually 300-500 waiting changing the movement of the price Waowww i say :-)
You're £2 won't change the behaviour of the market drastically, the market may have move that way anyway. Markets always jolt and it's bound to happen sometimes just as you enter a bet. There may also bots that react to any change in prices plus bots reacting to other bot bets so it may appear random at times.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”