Lay Trading High Price UK Horses

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
aidenrn810

Well I was more restrained today but did what I said and went 10 seconds in to in-play when necessary - only 3 races out of 19 - and was lucky (!!!) :lol: that they were layed near enough instantly without a loss - although I was prepared to red out as needed to avoid yesterday's big error.

Regarding your valid comments, it's simply that this strategy I'm trying is all about laying the high value horses and trading out (pre-race + 10 seconds!!!) to see if this is a viable long term option or not.

I was after lay predictors to try and understand how they choose and assess selections and therfore increase my knowledge on selections rather than being a bit random which is what I am trying now, but never mind if no-one can advise here.

I understand what you say about also backing shorter odds horses which are of value, but I don't have enough expereince yet to closely watch market movers or assess what a good price is to buy/lay against.............so I feel it would be just as random as well.....

Today's output is on my twitter feed. UP £32.47 this afternoon.
Derek27

I would expect any good website or tipster that specializes in laying horses to be going for shorter-priced horses, possibly favourites. The value in laying really lies when a horse is grossly overrated. It's pointless tipping a horse to lose at above 50/1, he'd just be a laughing stock. Even laying a horse at 10/1 (which is the same as backing at 10/1 on) has a very small potential profit percentage.
aidenrn810

Point taken on suggesting good high value price layers - doh on my part.....

I don't mind getting and trading small percentage profits if that is what this strategy can bring, as constant profit is what everyone is after - as easy high % wins are not always achievable.

I'm not sure this strategy is scalable though due to liquidity in certain racing markets.
Cardano

Just out of interest what's your twitter feed name ?
aidenrn810

@slowandsteadyp1

All views, likes and follows appreciated as I am getting going.

Thanks
TipTopTrader

Why not do Both?

Why limit yourself you just taking losing trades in play.

If you do it with every trade, there will never be any doubt, if it works or not.

I'm not recommending you do it, just something to ponder.You might be leaving profits on the table, ones that will help to pay for a big loss.
aidenrn810

I am reading your message TipTopTrader two ways.

Do both as pre-race and in-play : but that comes with high risk of losing big, so I am steering towards avoiding this and taking a quick loss after 10 seconds (max) if not matched instantly at race start.

or

Do both as high and lower price horses : but for me this is not what my strategy is about, just high price horse trade profit, plus I don't have the experience to know good value in horses or reading the market well enough on these type fo horses.

Which one did you mean?

I would like to be more selectove on which type of markets produce the best results for me rather than blindly just doing all that I see for any particular day. Handicaps, Group races, etc. as that can only help steer me towards being more choosey and focussed.
wearthefoxhat

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 pm
I would expect any good website or tipster that specializes in laying horses to be going for shorter-priced horses, possibly favourites. The value in laying really lies when a horse is grossly overrated. It's pointless tipping a horse to lose at above 50/1, he'd just be a laughing stock. Even laying a horse at 10/1 (which is the same as backing at 10/1 on) has a very small potential profit percentage.
Good point well made.

Here's a fair example of a Lay selection that had poor ratings/data, that somehow went off as favourite!

31st Aug Wolv 2.20; Knightfall 2/1f (BSP 3.30)

Wolv220.2.GIF

What is also does is skew the market and offer value with others in the race.

Backing any of the Top 5 power rated would be value (including the winner).

Of the bigger prices to Lay in the race, Axel Jacklin (projected odds 275.00) - BSP 38.00, finished stone last.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TipTopTrader

aidenrn810 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:06 am
I am reading your message TipTopTrader two ways.

Do both as pre-race and in-play : but that comes with high risk of losing big, so I am steering towards avoiding this and taking a quick loss after 10 seconds (max) if not matched instantly at race start.

or

Do both as high and lower price horses : but for me this is not what my strategy is about, just high price horse trade profit, plus I don't have the experience to know good value in horses or reading the market well enough on these type fo horses.

Which one did you mean?

I would like to be more selectove on which type of markets produce the best results for me rather than blindly just doing all that I see for any particular day. Handicaps, Group races, etc. as that can only help steer me towards being more choosey and focussed.
If dont want to do it all the time, then you shouldn't do it all. Is the point I'm trying to make, why only do it on the loser, when you can make a winner prerace even bigger by taking it in play for the first 10 seconds.

Unless you steer yourself away from taking any unplanned trade in play, than you will always have the risk of a big loss. Saying you will trade out after 10 second's is easy if you don't have a bad loss sitting infront of you, thats when you will wait for it come back, like you did last time.

Learning to trade the shorter price horses might be good for you, if your fear them winning than you won't use your get out in the first 10 second's rule.

Good luck with it all.
aidenrn810

Understand your point(s).

I say 10 seconds but really I mean instantly (<10 seconds !!!) as the market goes in-play and sometimes matches occur as bots and other people who are after prices are chasing ins/outs as well --- not well worded but hopefully you know what I mean.....

You are right though I need to consider whether to be more strcit and have now in-play.

As well as looking at a separate and different strategy of lower price (& value) horses in a race : but it still comes back to my lack of horsing knowledge or what to see as value and reading the market movements ----- which is yes the absolute art of trading which I don't have [YET]

I'll see where today gets me. No in-play then to see what that does......
spreadbetting

Looking at your twitter feed I see you got stung on the 10th for £450 considering you're making around £2 a race surely that loss should be enough to persuade you not to let things go inrunning?

All credit to you for not chasing back those losses with higher stakes though, so you've obviously got the discipline side of things covered. Not sure your golf system of laying the 100+ outsiders is wise either as golf regularly throws up large price winners as the fields are so large and it can be a bit of a lottery.
TipTopTrader

As long as you understand all the biggest and most profitable prerace traders don't have knowledge of the horses, just the markets and how they trade.They don't know or care if the horse is going to win or lose.
Derek27

Perhaps a bit more detailed research is required rather than off the cuff, lay this at 50, lay that at 100, ideas?
aidenrn810

@spreadbetting --- the golf is more calculated and if you read the short tweet fully it is not based on randomness. Certainly Marc Leishman & Cameron Smith do not fall in to 100+ pot lucks, but whilst I am putting up that labaility on these 2 then I may as well capitalise and talk also small amounts of outsiders that are just out of form, journeymen and never will win.......
aidenrn810

*(correction) - stupidly said never will win ::: highly highly unlikely to win.

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”