Betfair Timeform Ratings

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
rencoetz

Hi All

Has anyone had any success backing the Top Rated Horse on the BF Timeform ratings ? I rarely see them win - my thoughts are to lay these selections

Any thoughts would be appreciated or where to find previous stats on previous Timeform ratings so I can back test the results
ANGELS15

I've used timeform 'on and off' for 29 years. They used to advertise a lot that their 'top rated' horses won 40% of the time. In reality it was more like 37%. You certainly will not make a profit long term backing their top rated horses.

Now don't get me wrong, as I do believe Timeform is a useful resource. In the days when I was purely punting I would buy the black book when I could (cost around £18/£19 during 90s/early 2000s). Every single purchase of a black book found me winners which would at least pay for the book even if I didn't have a profitable month.

The thing with tmeform as you no doubt know is that not only do they have top rated horses but also 'p' and 'P' horses. Often the top rated horse may only be 1lb superior to the 2nd rated horse.
Derek27

rencoetz wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:19 am
Hi All

Has anyone had any success backing the Top Rated Horse on the BF Timeform ratings ? I rarely see them win - my thoughts are to lay these selections

Any thoughts would be appreciated or where to find previous stats on previous Timeform ratings so I can back test the results
Making money backing horses involve taking a number of factors into consideration before deciding on a horse's chance and whether it's value. A horse's rating is just one piece of the jigsaw. I wouldn't expect it to be very profitable simply backing top-rated horses. Often the value lies in horses that have been overlooked in the betting who are not too far down the ratings.
wearthefoxhat

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:34 am
rencoetz wrote:
Hi All

Making money backing horses involve taking a number of factors into consideration before deciding on a horse's chance and whether it's value. A horse's rating is just one piece of the jigsaw. I wouldn't expect it to be very profitable simply backing top-rated horses. Often the value lies in horses that have been overlooked in the betting who are not too far down the ratings.
Timeform is a good resource, but you could combine the Racing Post Rating and the Topspeed Rating on the racing post website for free. Maybe strong L2B opportunities instead. Ideally In-Play, if it starts to run badly. Pre-Play too, if others latch on to it.

It is of course a good starting point, you can dig a little deeper for other areas of weakness too.

Ok, here's an example...potential egg on face... :roll:

Kelso 12.50 29.Dec Goldencard (Trading at 3.05 favourite)
It has strong competition using both ratings and a short price.

Kelso12.50C.GIF

Sorted by Racing Post Rating.

RPR.GIF

Sorted by Topspeed.

Top.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wearthefoxhat

That worked well Pre-Off...

GCardPre.GIF

GCardTrade.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wearthefoxhat

GoldenCard hit a low of 1.41 for money. Could never get to the leader, did run well though.
ANGELS15

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:34 am
rencoetz wrote:
Hi All

Precisely

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”