How to treat a race suspension when having money in play?

Learn sports betting strategies and discuss key factors to consider when placing a bet.
tiberigc

So this situation just happened to me for the first time.
I place two back bets an a horse and was in the last minute of the race to go in-play.
The commentator said that one of the horses might be pulled out of the race because he hast lost a shoe.
After a couple of seconds, the race is suspended and all the bets in the ladder are dropped off, including my closing bets.
The jokeys go in and the race is un-suspended, but there seem to be less than 15 seconds before the race starts.
The bets are all over the place and the green up button is actually red from highest price to lowest price which in my head means that wherever I place the closing bet I will lose $ anyway, so I spam the green up button and 'only' lose 10% of the stake.

https://i.imgur.com/CGHQKj8.png

Is there a better way to behave in such situations?
Derek27

tiberigc wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:29 pm
So this situation just happened to me for the first time.
I place two back bets an a horse and was in the last minute of the race to go in-play.
The commentator said that one of the horses might be pulled out of the race because he hast lost a shoe.
After a couple of seconds, the race is suspended and all the bets in the ladder are dropped off, including my closing bets.
The jokeys go in and the race is un-suspended, but there seem to be less than 15 seconds before the race starts.
The bets are all over the place and the green up button is actually red from highest price to lowest price which in my head means that wherever I place the closing bet I will lose $ anyway, so I spam the green up button and 'only' lose 10% of the stake.

https://i.imgur.com/CGHQKj8.png

Is there a better way to behave in such situations?
If a horse is withdrawn just before the race and Betfair don't have time to remove the horse from the market, the horse will be withdrawn after the race and the reduction factor will be applied to all bets matched pre-off. It's important to remember that reduction factors are not applied to in-play bets. If a short-priced horse is withdrawn you may need to do some quick maths because greening up the entire field would leave you with an unbalanced book.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:46 pm
because greening up the entire field would leave you with an unbalanced book.
And If there is a non-runner in a win market with a reduction factor of at least 2.5%, or a non-runner in a place market with a reduction factor of at least 4%, it is Betfair’s policy to cancel unmatched lay bets on all other runners in the market. In the case of any such non-runner, a lay bet for which the ‘Take SP’ option has been selected, will automatically convert to an SP bet. After this conversion the bet cannot be cancelled.
Derek27

If only life was as simple as Honest Joe's exchange - all bets voided after a non-runner, all green books down the plug-hole along with his 1% commission. :lol:
Dallas

Return to “Betfair trading strategies”