Step-By-Step Examples How to Set Automation Signals

Share your automation file with other users.
Dallas

This thread will detail a step-by-step guide to setting up and using some of the Signal actions available in Bet Angel.

To try and make it as easy as possible and for as many users as possible to understand I’m going to use the Lay the Field automation rule from the shared files library as most will already be familiar with this so will see clearly how the signals have been added in each of the examples.

I’ll be detailing what I have done in each example and sharing the files for each of them so you can download them to play about with and see how they work and how you can then begin to use signals within your own files.

The original Lay the Field file triggers 1 second into the start of the race and places a lay bet for £10 on all selections @ 1.75, it is still going to perform that basic task but rather than just trigger after 1 second I’m going to use some basic signals in different ways to execute it.

These are very basic demonstration showing how to set them up and where to input the details. Once you begin to understand how they work and what they can be used for you’ll soon find tons of uses for them.
Dallas

1, Lay the Field

In this file rather than just have the "Lay the Field" trigger 1 second into the race i have added the rule type "Set/Modify Signal Only" with the condition that the 2nd fav trades below 3.0

On the signal tab I have selected the action "Set Signal" and used the name and value "ltf 3" (I could have used any name and value here but i wanted something close to the action it was performing).

The original "Lay the Field" rule type has remained unchanged except that i have added the following condition.

"Signal Set Condition"
The Signal named "ltf"
For "the Market"
Is "Set with a value"

Only once a signal with the name "ltf" has been set can the "Lay the Field" rule now trigger.
If you look at the image of the attached log you will see that the race went in play at 14:08:23 and 32 seconds later at 14:08:55 the second fav must of traded below 3.0 which triggered the signal for the market "ltf 3" which meant the condition we had set had now been met and subsequently the "Lay the Field" was triggered and all selection where layed @ 1.75
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

2, Lay the Field

The same rule type "Set/Modify signal" has been used again but this time rather than just trigger the "Lay the Field" as soon as the odds of the 2nd fav drop below 3.0 we want them to stay below for at least 5 secs before allowing the "Lay the Field" to trigger, if they rise back up within the 5 seconds the signal is reset and begins a fresh count the next time it goes below 3.0.

To allow the signal to keep setting each second I have set the re-arm time on the "General tab" to 1 sec and I have optimised Guardian cycling to ensure that the market is refreshed at least once per second.

On the signal tab I have used the action "Increment Signal Value" and named this signal below (Again I could of used any name and value here but i wanted something close to the action it was performing).

The original "Lay the Field" rule type is still unchanged except that i have now added the following condition.

"Signal Value Condition"
The Value of the Signal named "below"
For "the Market"
Is "Equal to" 5

Only once the value of the “below” signal has reached "5" can the "Lay the Field" rule now trigger.

If you look at the image of the attached log you will see that the race went in play at 16:20:12 and later at 16:23:56 the second fav must of traded below 3.0 which triggered the signal for the market (shown as "below = 1") you can then see it was immediately cleared as the price must of gone back over 3.0 - it did this another few times before finally staying under 3.0 long enough to for the signal’s value to reach 5 (shown as "below = 5") and trigger the "Lay the Field" rule.

The resetting of the signal was done by adding another "Set/Modify a Signal Only" rule type with the conditions
"Last traded price"
Is "Greater than" 3.0

(The other two conditions I used were just to stop it resetting before the odds where below 3.0 and after the "Lay the Field" had been triggered - these could both of been left out and it would of worked the same, all that would of happened is the log would of been full of "Below cleared" signals as it kept triggering for no reason)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

3, Lay the Field

For the final example before the "Lay the Field" can trigger I want to first try to build up a profit by placing some back bets one at a time each with 5 ticks offsets with greening on which ever horse is fav at the time, only once 5 of these bets have been matched on the same runner will the "Lay the Field" rule be allowed to trigger.

This time I don’t need to use the "Set/Modify Signal" rule type as I’m going to be setting the signal each time the Back bets rule triggers.

The Back bet is set up the way you normally would if backing and greening for a few ticks on the fav, but from the signal tab I will be setting a signal each time a back bet triggers using the action "Increment Signal Value" on the selection - This time I have chosen the signal name to be "back".

Just as in the last example each time a back bet is triggered the value is increased and once the signal reaches the value of 5 (shown as "back = 5" in the log), the "Lay the Field" rule is triggered. (This time it does not reset, once 5 bets are on any runner this part is complete).

To make sure that the back bets don’t fire any more afterwards on its condition tab I have also included
"Signal Set Condition"
The SIgnal Named "stopbacks"
For "the Market"
Is "NOT set with a Value"

This means as soon as a signal "stopbacks" with any value appears in the market no more back bets will be able to trigger. (I have set a signal to be issued by the "Lay the Field" rule as soon as it triggers).

If you look at the log you will see the first back bet was on Ellaal then a horse named Surewecan become fav and the rest of the bets where on that horse until the signal reached "back = 5" at which point the "lay the Field rule was triggered and at the same time it set its “stopbacks” signal (shown in the log as "stopbacks = 99") which prevented any further back bets being placed.
jimibt

Dallas - thanks so much for getting your head into the nuances of signals. As a result of these examples, I have a pretty good understanding of how they work now and in particular have an immediate use-case for them (regards pegging a named fave on a threshold for a given duration).

This will be a game changer for sure as the fidelity gained in using psuedo variables is a truly desired feature... now for some really creative application(s) of this addition. (in fact, the use of signals will dramatically improve pre-race scalping routines as the oscillation pattern will be able to be tracked via a signal *pair* - lovely) 8-)
ricardodeano

Why did I have to come into the office today?! I now want to play with this functionality!!!! Many thanks for these examples and the associated explanations, most appreciated.
Dallas

Thanks guys after people have had a bit of time to play with these over the next few days and or ask any questions then ill be adding a few in quick succsession to the normal shared files library which will really start to build on what signals can do
jimibt

jimibt wrote:.... (in fact, the use of signals will dramatically improve pre-race scalping routines as the oscillation pattern will be able to be tracked via a signal *pair* - lovely) 8-)
I've just been playing about with this re pre-race and THINK that it may be possible to set up two signal pairs to help with scalping (if I'm understanding the possibilities correctly):

1. pair for runner to identify direction of last move (i.e. tickUpValue, tickDownValue)
2. second pair on a runner to capture the high and low values, thus capturing the tradable range (i.e. tickRangeMax, tickRangeMin)

Just a few thoughts for others to ponder... liking the potential of signals a lot

[edit] -scratch this approach, alas when setting a signal value, only a hardcoded pre-determined variable can be set :(. Would be nice to have the option to capture the last traded price!! (lightbulb)
poipoi

Don't know if you're on the BA payroll yet Dallas, but you are doing a helluva job! :D
jonesd4

Is the following possible using signals.........

I have an automation that fires a lay bet on to ANY selection when it meets a criteria and then stops....

How could I use a signal to identify the runner the bet had been placed on so as to exclude it from a subsequent bet using the same rule or is this already possible within automation?

cheers

David

Edit..............Just realised I should be able to use the Number of matched bets condition for this
Dallas

You could also use "Number of place bets triggered" which will count all bets on that selection matched or not - just depends how your laying to which is the best to use.
jonesd4

Hi Dallas

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Whilst still on the subect of setting signals............ is there a way to set a signal when your selection loses so that subsequent bets can use an alternate stake based on whether your previous bet won or lost?

regards...................David
Dallas

jonesd4 wrote:Hi Dallas

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Whilst still on the subect of setting signals............ is there a way to set a signal when your selection loses so that subsequent bets can use an alternate stake based on whether your previous bet won or lost?

regards...................David
If you mean can it takes results from one market to the next then no i cant, reasons explained further in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11938

If its within the same market ie half way through your in a loss poisition you can use signals to adjust the stakes used for any further bets for that current market then change it back again if it gets back in profit
jonesd4

Yes it was to base the bet on the next market on the success or failure of the previous market.

Back to the drawing board

cheers

David
Dallas

Just to answer a few peoples questions on easiest way to setting up a signal and ensure its working correctly

By watching the market as normal on either the one-click or ladder screen but having the log tab open for that market within guardian you can clearly see in real time if the signals you are setting are triggering in the market correctly and in the way you expect - it also makes it easy to identify areas where modification is needed etc.

Image below typically shows how i would have it on my screen when testing

Return to “Bet Angel Automation - Shared files”