UK General Election 2024 (or 25)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:52 pm
greenmark wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:23 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:47 pm
The NHS needs to be a 2 tier system like the discussion paper in Scotland.

Those earning over £50k need to get their wallets out as they can easily afford private health care.

It will come at some point and should have happened years ago.
Private health care is like an IT contractor.
Sits alongside permies and receives double what they earn. Why? Becuase they are "temporary" and can be ditched easily.
Until the NHS is properly funded, private health will always be lobbying and nibbling around the edges of the NHS and making a good profit as well.
I not talking about private contract staff that the NHS brings in and pays them £300 per 8 hour shift.

I mean you take out private health insurance and go to private hospitals for diagnostics and treatment.

I had a problem last month, went to GP, he said will probably be 3 months before you get seen. Asked for a referral letter, came home, called Aviva, seen at Nuffield 2 days later. They since changed my policy so now I don’t need a GP referral anymore, private video call/diagnostic instead.

You could say that’s the way the NHS should work but that would cost £billions more and the country can’t afford it.
You just jumped up the queue.
I'm not making moral judgements. I happily accepted BUPA cover as part of my job.
The point is the supply side is short, therefore it's a lucrative area for private enterprise.. Properly funded on the supply side and the private investment and profit becomes less attractive.
Which essentials are we interested in as a society? Food, water, energy, roof over our heads and health care. There's plenty of money around to service all of those essentials. It's all about political will. And as I've said thats not just politicians it's me and you as well.
Archangel

What the Tories really want to do is privatise the NHS ultimately. They want an American style health system where profits end up in the hands of private health insurance companies. Companies they will no doubt be shareholders in themselves. "Long live the free market" and all that
if you break a bone it will cost about 10k. Your insurance will pay, but you will always end up paying the price in premiums, like any other sort of insurance.
greenmark

Archangel wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:38 pm
What the Tories really want to do is privatise the NHS ultimately. They want an American style health system where profits end up in the hands of private health insurance companies. Companies they will no doubt be shareholders in themselves. "Long live the free market" and all that
if you break a bone it will cost about 10k. Your insurance will pay, but you will always end up paying the price in premiums, like any other sort of insurance.
I agree and have been thinking that for some time the Tories dare not attack the NHS directly, so we're seeing them let it wither away until everyone says "yeah this isn't working". It's nasty and cynical and idealogically rather than logically driven. Just flipping fund it properly, ignore brexit and fill the skills gap with immigrants.
It's really ironic that a party that likes to portray itself as competent stewards of govt finances is in such a huge mess.
sionascaig

Average cost of birth in America c$32k & if you are unlucky & have triplets could reach $800k

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... in-america

Loads of folk want their cut...

Think they even charge $20 to give your baby a hug.
Derek27

A third complaint has been lodged against Dominic Rabb. :D
Archangel

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:29 pm
A third complaint has been lodged against Dominic Rabb. :D
In a proper functioning democracy, half of the current cabinet wouldnt even be allowed to make the tea
Archery1969

Should be plain sailing for Labour at the next General Election as around 118 MPS are to resign/stand down in November 2024.
Derek27

Arrogant bastard's back from the jungle and has no intention of stepping down from politics!
Derek27

Conservatives got a pasting in the by-election, Labour majority for the GE down to 2.02/2.08. :D
Derek27

The Army could be deployed to cover for ambulance drivers, firefighters, nurses, post office workers, train drivers, teachers and dustmen, subject to the army itself not going on strike. :)
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:11 pm
The Army could be deployed to cover for ambulance drivers, firefighters, nurses, post office workers, train drivers, teachers and dustmen, subject to the army itself not going on strike. :)
The army can't strike by law. They are prohibited from having a union to represent them.
Being a soldier isn't just a job. I believe you take an oath to serve the King. That's the deal. If you don't like the deal, don't take the oath.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:50 pm
Derek27 wrote:
The army can't strike by law. They are prohibited from having a union to represent them.
Being a soldier isn't just a job. I believe you take an oath to serve the King. That's the deal. If you don't like the deal, don't take the oath.
Every soldier in the army has sworn an oath to serve the Queen. Now that she's gone they can do what they like. ;)
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:05 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:50 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Every soldier in the army has sworn an oath to serve the Queen. Now that she's gone they can do what they like. ;)
Crikey, that's quite an elastic interpretation of the law. :-) But the fact is the armed services and police et al can't strike or be a member of a trade union. Make of that what you wish.
Archangel

Derek27 wrote:
I didn't know soldiers were such a highly skilled bunch
Derek27

Prostitutes going on strike now for better conditions. Just as well the army has a female regiment. :D

Return to “Political betting & arguing”