US Presidential Election 2016

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
workpeter

The liberal media slam Trump for picking billionaires in his cabinet of which most are white men. Saying they cant identifying with the common citizen.

So let me ask this. If you had to have your betfair account managed by someone else, who would you pick? The common users who typically loses or someone who has made lots of money from it. Would you pick the best person or does skin tone play a factor?
ShaunWhite

workpeter wrote:The liberal media slam Trump for picking billionaires in his cabinet of which most are white men. Saying they cant identifying with the common citizen.

So let me ask this. If you had to have your betfair account managed by someone else, who would you pick? The common users who typically loses or someone who has made lots of money from it. Would you pick the best person or does skin tone play a factor?
That's the difference between business and politics. Trump's got a lot to learn about how they differ and why. What do people want? a fractured society or more money in the bank...money comes a poor second.
Naffman

I think most people see through that now (bar the Corbyn loving lefties of course)
to75ne

cant see billionaires doing much to help anybody except themselfs.
LeTiss

Let's not forget something here, people in the public eye are obsessed with their public image.

All these celebrities jumping on the bandwagon about Trump and Brexit, claiming it's terrible blah blah blah. How many of them in private actually voted for Trump or Brexit? More than you'd believe!
Naffman

They've probably been told that showing yourself as a Trump supporter somehow won't help ratings ;)
LeTiss

Fair enough, but when you get leftie cunts like Lily Allen and Gary Lineker ramming their self righteous bullshit down people's throats, you realise their opinions counts for fuckk all
workpeter

ShaunWhite wrote: What do people want? a fractured society or more money in the bank...money comes a poor second.
Well lets just hope Trump doesn't believe they are mutually exclusive.
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:Fair enough, but when you get leftie cunts like Lily Allen and Gary Lineker ramming their self righteous bullshit down people's throats, you realise their opinions counts for fuckk all
You make Lineker sound like Lenin...I was always suspicious of that little pointy beard.

BUT....I'm a lot of things LeTiss and certainly left of you, but that doesn't make me or people like me .... "cunts".... you're bang out of order sunshine. I might be a 'leftie' but I'm not one of those soppy ones who'll take that kind of bs so pack it in.
vankancisco

Politics is a very difficult concept to understand if you've never been involved. The fact is that politics is all around us and is part of every day life. The trouble society has, is relating this to democracy and governance - and making it work in an inclusive manner as it should. There's a tendency for only political obsessives to be involved, and that means there's a major inefficiency in the system. This results in wrong decisions being made, and a lack of action where it is needed. You could compare it to a market that has insufficient liquidity.

I generally hold a political philosophy of balance and compromise. I'd certainly always be against and worried by groups like UKIP. Their aim is to move the goalposts to a very slippery slope.
ShaunWhite

vankancisco wrote:I generally hold a political philosophy of balance and compromise. I'd certainly always be against and worried by groups like UKIP. Their aim is to move the goalposts to a very slippery slope.
Hear, hear.
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:
vankancisco wrote:I generally hold a political philosophy of balance and compromise. I'd certainly always be against and worried by groups like UKIP. Their aim is to move the goalposts to a very slippery slope.
Hear, hear.
That's crap. Trump, UKIP, Le Pen etc simply don't believe in political correctness, they believe in just saying what they think.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The reason why the likes of me have become so angry and confrontational is because the Liberals/ Centre Left have destroyed the free world with their shit. You can't say or do anything anymore without someone being offended, or feeling offended for somebody else. All they have done is offered protection to those that don't deserve protection - criminals, terrorists, muslim leaders who are driving division and forcing their religion upon the west

Brexit was inevitable, because the EU represent all of these horrible changes in our society
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:The reason why the likes of me have become so angry and confrontational is because the Liberals/ Centre Left have destroyed the free world with their shit.
There are extremes at both ends of the spectrum that give each side a bad name. Most UKIPs are not foul mouthed raving nutters, and most people left of centre are not in the soft as sh!t, 'easily offended' gang. Corbin and Trump are both equally ridiculous people.

The vast majority of people on both sides just want the world to be a better place, good jobs, decent elderly care, cheaper housing, national security, great schools, real freedom of expression, fair taxes, just laws, breathable air (all the usual leftie b*llocks). We're all going to hell in a hand cart if we can't listen and learn from each other, that's what got us in the mess we're in now ffs. I'm not 100% right, you're not 100% right.

I just don't want to lurch from one stupid extreme to another. It's not a playground game, nobody is going to be the 'winner' except the politicians at both extremes, whipping up the feable minded into a state of panic. But frankly, I suspect expressing 'liberal' views like might end up with me being called a 'c*nt' again.
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote: That's crap. Trump, UKIP, Le Pen etc simply don't believe in political correctness, they believe in just saying what they think.
Oh come on you're brighter than that.....Don't fall for that old tosh dreamt up by the UKIP/TRUMP marketing teams, designed to make you think everyone thinks the same way really, but some are too cowardly to say it.

It's school grade psych aimed at clueless Joe Voter who just wants to not stand out and simply do what his neighbour does. That's why we have whole regions who vote the same way! Believe what you want, but don't believe the hype.

Here's some news for you...Everyone believes in "saying what they think".
vankancisco

Corbyn stems from somewhat of a bygone political age that can still be relevant, the problem with him is he isn't the right person to take policies forward and present clear messages to voters. He lacks the credibility to convince, and so does the large majority of the movement he has mobilised.

I don't think political correctness should really be an issue for any reasonable person. I understand some people can be irritated by it, but I can't see how in any way why it would be a definitive factor in forming wider views. Surely everyone deserves a chance, and the world still has long way to go to make sure that is the case. Going backwards quite clearly isn't the answer.

Back to UKIP, I'm quite sure there is some reasonable people that support them, but a large number tend to sway towards regressive thinking and what many would accept as inflammatory and potentially dangerous views. I'm speaking from experience, I've previously campaigned on doorsteps and it is pretty easy to pick up trends and identify what is going on. A lot of UKIP supporters tend to be aggressive, much more than any other party. They also hold views that can be certainly regarded as racist, these encompass a pretty wide spectrum from fairly soft and borderline to the very extreme. Views also tend to run in families, it seems clear that younger generations have been influenced by their parents, especially in traditional working class areas. A common theme is the lack of respect and sometimes hatred towards people who differ from themselves, or indeed those who hold different views.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”