US Presidential Election 2016

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
dublindapper

Crazyskier wrote:
dublindapper wrote:Women better watch their pussies
There are plenty of guys to do that for them!
Yeah and the key difference would be the fact there not the president of the United States unless your Bill Clinton :lol:
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:I think a protest vote is understandable, but it seems the west is using the political system like some reality TV vote. Let's do this for a laugh and see what happens.
I totally agree, the disaffected really need to find a less destructive way of registering their protest. Another victory for the crass and the wreckless.

What's next, Keith Chegwin for North Korean leader?
LeTiss

ShaunWhite wrote:
I totally agree, the disaffected really need to find a less destructive way of registering their protest. Another victory for the crass and the wreckless.
Not at all, it's just a sign that centralised politics is coming to an end across the West. There's nothing wrong with that, Political Correctness is to blame for everything I hate in the modern world. Clearly, I'm not alone
Euler

Let's face it Clinton was a weak contender. OK she had experience, but was a redneck going to vote for her? Democrats put history and a political dynasty before an electable candidate. She looked Ill for most the campaign and wouldn't stand much of a chance against Putin.
Crazyskier

LeTiss 4pm wrote:
Political Correctness is to blame for everything I hate in the modern world. Clearly, I'm not alone
I'm with ya! Can't stand the hand-wringing liberal nutters that think Blighty should be the world's dustbin and who love to take offence of behalf of minority groups! Yes Gary Lineker and Greg Rutherford - Im looking at you!
ShaunWhite

Crazyskier wrote:
LeTiss 4pm wrote:
Political Correctness is to blame for everything I hate in the modern world. Clearly, I'm not alone
I'm with ya! Can't stand the hand-wringing liberal nutters that think Blighty should be the world's dustbin and who love to take offence of behalf of minority groups! Yes Gary Lineker and Greg Rutherford - Im looking at you!

You know it is possible to eshew political correctness without losing your humanity.
It's fair enough to oppose the world as it is, but why does it always come with so much vitriol?
workpeter

Euler wrote:Let's face it Clinton was a weak contender. OK she had experience, but was a redneck going to vote for her? Democrats put history and a political dynasty before an electable candidate. She looked Ill for most the campaign and wouldn't stand much of a chance against Putin.
2 predictions

1) Russia and US ties become much stronger. Sanctions will be dropped, the nato russia tension will evaporate and trades deals will be brokered. Trump has positioned himself nicely so that both him and Putin will be seen favourable as this plays out. Very smart.

2) Trump will come after Clinton hard. He needs to make an example of her so people think he is "draining the swamp".
ShaunWhite

workpeter wrote:
predictions

1) The nato russia tension will evaporate
? Trump has said on may occasions that he wants to distance himself from Nato. Nato without the US becomes a toothless lion. Putin will then gain the confidence to apply further pressure on Latvia, Estonia, Belarus and Ukraine. In fact he's already carrying out manouvers in that area.

Trump also wants less involvement in the Middle East, leaving Russia as the prime mover in the region.

I'm reluctant to make predictions, but I really don't see how you can say that what's left of Nato and Russia can become best buddies when Trump has already said he's willing to renege on Article 5 of the North Atlantic treaty which requires member states to come to the aid of another member state subject to an armed attack.
workpeter

ShaunWhite wrote:
workpeter wrote:
predictions

1) The nato russia tension will evaporate
? Trump has said on may occasions that he wants to distance himself from Nato. Nato without the US becomes a toothless lion. Putin will then gain the confidence to apply further pressure on Latvia, Estonia, Belarus and Ukraine. In fact he's already carrying out manouvers in that area.

Trump also wants less involvement in the Middle East, leaving Russia as the prime mover in the region.

I'm reluctant to make predictions, but I really don't see how you can say that what's left of Nato and Russia can become best buddies when Trump has already said he's willing to renege on Article 5 of the North Atlantic treaty which requires member states to come to the aid of another member state subject to an armed attack.
The build up is a show of force on both sides but neither side want (or benefit) from an escalation. When you analyse russian politics its very important to them to be seen as strong. Likewiss for Obama administration. Trump quite brilliantly promised increasing Americas military strengh and offering to work with russians; and the american people bought it. Now both countries can back down without losing face. And Nato like always will just do as america does.
Crazyskier

ShaunWhite wrote:
Crazyskier wrote:
LeTiss 4pm wrote:

You know it is possible to eshew political correctness without losing your humanity.
It's fair enough to oppose the world as it is, but why does it always come with so much vitriol?
Because there are so many people just looking for a chance to brand anyone with opposing viewpoints as racists, bigots and (insert minority group here) phobes...

We live in a democracy where the needs, wants and desires of the vocal few must never outweigh those of the silent majority!
ShaunWhite

Crazyskier wrote:
We live in a democracy where the needs, wants and desires of the vocal few must never outweigh those of the silent majority!
I agree to a point Crazyskier but given the outcomes on offer lately, I preferred the silent majority when they were silent. ;)

The (other) problem with democracy is that so few people turn out to vote. There's never been an election or referendum where 50%+ of the country voted for the proposal that's on the table (unless any political geeks out there can correct me).

I just hope everyone can get back to being dignified and friendly (British values?). Not just with 'our own kind' but with everybody.
Naffman

Would think Australia would be above 50%, given you get a fine if you don't turn up :lol: But I don't have the stats :)
gazuty

Naffman wrote:Would think Australia would be above 50%, given you get a fine if you don't turn up :lol: But I don't have the stats :)
Over 90% in Australia.

Although the hand wringing in this article would have you think crisis http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... qnij2.html
Euler

What happens next: -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tobias-st ... 79774.html

I agree with the general thrust. In 2004 somebody I know forecast 2008 and then said that will lead to a rise in the right wing isolationist policies and probably a war somewhere. With the West Weakened, it would probably come from expansionism from Russia or China. He has read it like a book so far!!
ShaunWhite

Naffman wrote:Would think Australia would be above 50%, given you get a fine if you don't turn up :lol: But I don't have the stats :)
I should have clarified that our version of democracy has never delivered over 50%. The Aussie system should be implemented here, or the no-shows should be taken as a vote for the status quo if it's on the ticket.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”