EU Membership Referendum (Brexit)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
greenmark

Lets all chill out. If I've wound anyone up, I apologise. But please feel free to disect the stupidity of my post(s).
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:55 pm
I don't drink milkshakes but my toilet's full of shit marks and I'm gonna have to use the brush, no toilet bleach!
Great news, a brush doesn't damage the environment!
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
I don't drink milkshakes but my toilet's full of shit marks and I'm gonna have to use the brush, no toilet bleach!
Like I said the other day Derek... I couldn't possibly live with your first world problems. Especially if those problems can be solved by some measly migrant. You're a piece of work.
SweetLyrics

Plus, using bleach but not a brush is fine if you live alone, but it's not very pleasant for the next person to use the bathroom if you don't.
jamesg46

Emergency post: Are there any European forum members that can get hold of some cheap bleach and have the gratitude to go and clean Derek's shit stained toilet?. The kindness he will offer in return is expectancy.
greenmark

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:15 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Like I said the other day Derek... I couldn't possibly live with your first world problems. Especially if those problems can be solved by some measly migrant. You're a piece of work.
Personal abuse doesn't cut it here James. Derek expressed an opinion about how he percieves Brexit has affected his life.
That's all. How brexit will affect us going forward, who knows. But the govt have said it isn't going to be a smooth ride, so perhaps you should cut Derek some slack? Maybe?
Personally, I think brexit is a fact. Everyone needs to try to make it work.
SweetLyrics

This has to be one of the most surreal threads in the forum - a discussion about Derek's toilet bowl! :lol:
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:37 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
Personal abuse doesn't cut it here James. Derek expressed an opinion about how he percieves Brexit has affected his life.
That's all. How brexit will affect us going forward, who knows. But the govt have said it isn't going to be a smooth ride, so perhaps you should cut Derek some slack? Maybe?
The weekend's here, it's becoming the norm now. ;)
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:55 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:37 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

The weekend's here, it's becoming the norm now. ;)
The old narrative spin that doesn't match up with reality and offers no way of a discussion.

Just a way of passing by, by deflecting onto others. You have the forum as your tool, prove that it's the norm... 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8weeks... whats a norm by your definition Derek?.
jamesg46

The norm is, when I disagree with someone or something that has been said I'll comment. Other than that, nothing unusual.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:08 pm
The norm is, when I disagree with someone or something that has been said I'll comment. Other than that, nothing unusual.
You remind me of a mate I had a long time ago. He'd go out for a drink once a week, get kicked out by the landlord every week, yet it was always the other guy's fault and never his. :lol:

You don't understand the difference between disagreeing and being abusive - it's as simple as that.
Euler

When I saw this thread had been re-raised I wondered whether I should have unlocked it!

Forum debate has been very focused on the markets for some time now, let's not drag it down again.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:40 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
You remind me of a mate I had a long time ago. He'd go out for a drink once a week, get kicked out by the landlord every week, yet it was always the other guy's fault and never his. :lol:

You don't understand the difference between disagreeing and being abusive - it's as simple as that.
I've not yet been kicked out by the forum Landlord.

Derek, I've not abused you. I've simply countered your opinion & beliefs. Problem is, you've cried wolf rather than debating my comments. Why? I have no idea... you do debate every other forum member.

I have a suspicion Derek that you're questioning yourself.
greenmark

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:35 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:40 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

I've not yet been kicked out by the forum Landlord.

Derek, I've not abused you. I've simply countered your opinion & beliefs. Problem is, you've cried wolf rather than debating my comments. Why? I have no idea... you do debate every other forum member.

I have a suspicion Derek that you're questioning yourself.
With respect James you described Derek as "a piece of work". Low grade insult maybe. But, unprovoked insult all the same.
Euler has spoken. Lets Derek, James and me shut up unless it's specifically about the EU referendum or Brexit.
gazuty

I know, this post could be in "Anyone read any good books" - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=78

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion - by Jonathan Haidt

I found this book very helpful to my understanding - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/113 ... teous-mind

From the review.

"[The author's] starting point is moral intuition—the nearly instantaneous perceptions we all have about other people and the things they do. These intuitions feel like self-evident truths, making us righteously certain that those who see things differently are wrong. Haidt shows us how these intuitions differ across cultures, including the cultures of the political left and right. He blends his own research findings with those of anthropologists, historians, and other psychologists to draw a map of the moral domain. He then examines the origins of morality, overturning the view that evolution made us fundamentally selfish creatures. But rather than arguing that we are innately altruistic, he makes a more subtle claim—that we are fundamentally groupish. It is our groupishness, he explains, that leads to our greatest joys, our religious divisions, and our political affiliations. In a stunning final chapter on ideology and civility, Haidt shows what each side is right about, and why we need the insights of liberals, conservatives, and libertarians to flourish as a nation."

In Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari, - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23692271-sapiens - there is a great explanation of groupishness. Without being able to fit into tribes (right v left, City v United etc) we couldn't survive as early humans. If you were expelled from your tribe 300,000 years ago - you died. There are huge biological incentives hardwired in to us to ensure we stick to and stay in our tribes.
Last edited by gazuty on Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”