EU Membership Referendum (Brexit)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Euler

greenmark wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:20 pm
So Mays Brexit deal trapped (potentially) the UK in EU alignment.
Johnson's deal traps NI in EU alignment, unless Unionists can achieve a Stormont majority.
A success for democracy or Westminster casting NI adrift?
Poor old Gibraltar has been completely forgotten.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:47 pm
When I started this career, I hadn't figured how much a part psychology would play otherwise I would have done it the other way around.

I now know what I'm looking for and search for it.
When I comment on what you do it's always to simply explore alternatives, you know I'm a just the type to flip received thinking and see what happens. (Maverick would be the flattering term but bloody awkward is probably more appropriate). It would be a bit audacious to outright challenge you on these things, afterall I'm on your forum rather than you being on mine :)
Euler

I don't think I see any unfair comments. I'd encourage people to think. As I've learnt the opposite of a good idea is often a good idea.
greenmark

Euler wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:48 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:20 pm
So Mays Brexit deal trapped (potentially) the UK in EU alignment.
Johnson's deal traps NI in EU alignment, unless Unionists can achieve a Stormont majority.
A success for democracy or Westminster casting NI adrift?
Poor old Gibraltar has been completely forgotten.
Hmm, will have to explore that remark.
Jukebox

Euler wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:58 pm
.... As I've learnt the opposite of a good idea is often a good idea.
All to often overlooked.

It's often the indecision that is the bad idea.
Euler

MP's have actually voted for something!
Naffman

Corbyn the first opposition leader to not want a general election tells you a lot
greenmark

Naffman wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:34 pm
Corbyn the first opposition leader to not want a general election tells you a lot
He obviously wants maximum embarassment for the Govt before going for it. For me, if we go with this deal its better than none.
But I feel for NI, they're being sacrificed.
ShaunWhite

Naffman wrote:
First rule of warfare: Never attack when your enemy wants you to.
No party is likely to get a majority in the current climate so why gamble now when the cost could be 5 more Tory years. Much better to wait for a better opportunity.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
As I've learnt the opposite of a good idea is often a good idea.
Now all we need is for everyone to think that, and then a 2nd referendum :)
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:03 pm
Euler wrote:
As I've learnt the opposite of a good idea is often a good idea.
Now all we need is for everyone to think that, and then a 2nd referendum :)
But as you've just said the political landscape hasn't changed. Cameron plunged a divided nation into a generational decision.
Totally selfish, Tory stupidity.
And there is no way out. We can only hope that the UK is stronger than all this cobblers.
Naffman

greenmark wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:52 pm
Naffman wrote:
He obviously wants maximum embarassment for the Govt before going for it. For me, if we go with this deal its better than none.
Labour will lose votes to the Lib Dems and the Brexit Party - Conservative majority imo
ShaunWhite

Everybody will take and lose votes from everyone else. Because a general election will be used to decide a single non party issue. It would be an abuse of the principals of general elections. If there's to be a vote on Brexit that needs to be the only thing on the ballot and a general election then used to decide the way forward from that.

Common sense seems to have prevailed tonight, move forward but with due constitutional diligence.
greenmark

Naffman wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:27 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:52 pm
Naffman wrote:
Labour will lose votes to the Lib Dems and the Brexit Party - Conservative majority imo
My gut says you're right. But then I've been wrong at every point from the Scottish Referendum onwards. All I know is the idea that leaving will reduce bureacracy, imigration and increase uk govt control is absolute nonsense.
jimibt

this made me giggle soo much. this is brexit in a nutshell, a flag bigger than your mojo (your wheels, your house -your everything!! :D):

the story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-51324431

lol

Return to “Political betting & arguing”