EU Membership Referendum (Brexit)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:08 pm
The norm is, when I disagree with someone or something that has been said I'll comment. Other than that, nothing unusual.
You remind me of a mate I had a long time ago. He'd go out for a drink once a week, get kicked out by the landlord every week, yet it was always the other guy's fault and never his. :lol:

You don't understand the difference between disagreeing and being abusive - it's as simple as that.
Euler

When I saw this thread had been re-raised I wondered whether I should have unlocked it!

Forum debate has been very focused on the markets for some time now, let's not drag it down again.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:40 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
The norm is, when I disagree with someone or something that has been said I'll comment. Other than that, nothing unusual.
You remind me of a mate I had a long time ago. He'd go out for a drink once a week, get kicked out by the landlord every week, yet it was always the other guy's fault and never his. :lol:

You don't understand the difference between disagreeing and being abusive - it's as simple as that.
I've not yet been kicked out by the forum Landlord.

Derek, I've not abused you. I've simply countered your opinion & beliefs. Problem is, you've cried wolf rather than debating my comments. Why? I have no idea... you do debate every other forum member.

I have a suspicion Derek that you're questioning yourself.
greenmark

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:35 pm
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

Derek, I've not abused you. I've simply countered your opinion & beliefs. Problem is, you've cried wolf rather than debating my comments. Why? I have no idea... you do debate every other forum member.

With respect James you described Derek as "a piece of work". Low grade insult maybe. But, unprovoked insult all the same.
Euler has spoken. Lets Derek, James and me shut up unless it's specifically about the EU referendum or Brexit.
gazuty

I know, this post could be in "Anyone read any good books" - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=78

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion - by Jonathan Haidt

I found this book very helpful to my understanding - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/113 ... teous-mind

From the review.

"[The author's] starting point is moral intuition—the nearly instantaneous perceptions we all have about other people and the things they do. These intuitions feel like self-evident truths, making us righteously certain that those who see things differently are wrong. Haidt shows us how these intuitions differ across cultures, including the cultures of the political left and right. He blends his own research findings with those of anthropologists, historians, and other psychologists to draw a map of the moral domain. He then examines the origins of morality, overturning the view that evolution made us fundamentally selfish creatures. But rather than arguing that we are innately altruistic, he makes a more subtle claim—that we are fundamentally groupish. It is our groupishness, he explains, that leads to our greatest joys, our religious divisions, and our political affiliations. In a stunning final chapter on ideology and civility, Haidt shows what each side is right about, and why we need the insights of liberals, conservatives, and libertarians to flourish as a nation."

In Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari, - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23692271-sapiens - there is a great explanation of groupishness. Without being able to fit into tribes (right v left, City v United etc) we couldn't survive as early humans. If you were expelled from your tribe 300,000 years ago - you died. There are huge biological incentives hardwired in to us to ensure we stick to and stay in our tribes.
Last edited by gazuty on Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek27

jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

My concern about McDonald's running out of milkshakes and burgers was a light-hearted comment and therefore not debatable, you're the only person who took it seriously, just like my rant about supermarket trolleys at the far end of the car park and being ignored at the self-service checkout. First world problems to you but a light-hearted rant to anyone else.
jamesg46

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:21 am
jamesg46 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

My concern about McDonald's running out of milkshakes and burgers was a light-hearted comment and therefore not debatable, you're the only person who took it seriously, just like my rant about supermarket trolleys at the far end of the car park and being ignored at the self-service checkout. First world problems to you but a light-hearted rant to anyone else.
Ah, ok. Just another one them bs posts that belong on Tik Tok.
Dublin_Flyer

Brexit is done and finished, some wanted it, some didn't.
Brexit happened.

I think this thread should be locked again as it's leading nowhere. Just forum colleagues getting each others backs up, nobody has any trading tips, insights or ideas, it's pure bitchiness about each others views about an event which is a closed market.

If I wanted to read that whingey shit all day I'd go on the Betfair forum.
decomez6

necessity is the mother of all inventions...

Little Britain has given us Great British inventors like Isaac Newton .......long list below

https://interestingengineering.com/45-o ... -all-time

its time for Britain to invent a Brexit roadmap !
if a country doesnt take care of its businness community , it has no business being in business .
before brexit and covid ,the city of london square mile and canary wharf was the financial headquater in europe . now i only see brandnew empty buildings ( white elephants), with alot of empty black cabs and not forget the scotts want take all what is remaining as soon as they break away and rejoin the EU... not looking good !!!

as for James and Derek here is a solution.....
automate the british labour force , get rid of `cheap`(not really) european labour , shortages of clean toilets will be a thing of the past....
brexit toilet all clear.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sionascaig

Not quite all over. It will feature large in this market I think https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/p ... .166577732

Surprised there is £20k matched in it...

But probably deserves another topic (or not)!
greenmark

sionascaig wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:27 am
Not quite all over. It will feature large in this market I think https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/p ... .166577732

Surprised there is £20k matched in it...

But probably deserves another topic (or not)!
With both Torys and Labour against a ref I can't see it happening unless there's a hung Parliament at the next election (2024 or before) and the SNP could then use their 45 mp's to get what they want (perhaps). But Boris won't go early if he thinks there's a risk of a close result.
And even if 2024 does produce a hung Parliament, how long does it take to put together the legal side of a ref then set up and run the campaigns?
So not before 2025 for me. 1.74 for that could be worth a punt.
See you in 3.33 years. :-)
SweetLyrics

Nicola Sturgeon seems determined to hold a second referendum, with or without Westminster's consent. She has just entered into a coalition with the Greens for that very reason.

I can see a Catalan-type situation, where she holds her referendum, even if the UK Parliament says that it won't honour a 'yes' vote and even if the UK Supreme Court tell her that the referendum would have no legal standing.

Thereby plunging the UK into a constitutional crisis.

Jeff
greenmark wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:52 am
With both Torys and Labour against a ref I can't see it happening unless there's a hung Parliament at the next election (2024 or before) and the SNP could then use their 45 mp's to get what they want (perhaps). But Boris won't go early if he thinks there's a risk of a close result.
And even if 2024 does produce a hung Parliament, how long does it take to put together the legal side of a ref then set up and run the campaigns?
decomez6

greenmark wrote:
sionascaig wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:27 am
Not quite all over. It will feature large in this market
With both Torys and Labour against a ref I can't see it happening unless there's a hung Parliament at
Both Torys and labour lost to Nigel farrage ‘s Brexit rampage!! Even Boris Johnson was surprised by the result, he was not prepared to be a prime minister .
I don’t see why a determined Scottish people cannot be allowed to shape their own future.
After all , it was Brexit that took control from Brussels and the Scott’s want to take control from Westminster, …..NO double standards in the English gentleman agreements ,it’s written in the Robin Hood constitution ( trustworthy mutual consent).
Boris Johnson can’t be preaching water while he drinks red, red wine . The Scott’s will get their referendum and it won’t take much to campaign for it , Boris is doing that for them!
Look at how things are going! Not jolly at all.
greenmark

SweetLyrics wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:58 am
Nicola Sturgeon seems determined to hold a second referendum, with or without Westminster's consent. She has just entered into a coalition with the Greens for that very reason.

I can see a Catalan-type situation, where she holds her referendum, even if the UK Parliament says that it won't honour a 'yes' vote and even if the UK Supreme Court tell her that the referendum would have no legal standing.

Thereby plunging the UK into a constitutional crisis.

Jeff
greenmark wrote:
That was a bit of a curve ball. But the Supreme Court point looks a good one.
Does this clarify things?
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... dependence
" Under the Scotland Act 1998, the Scottish parliament is not allowed to pass legislation relating to matters “reserved” to Westminster, including “the Union of the Kingdoms of Scotland and England”. This is widely interpreted to mean that any referendum relating to Scottish independence would require Westminster’s approval. However, this has never been tested in court, so there remains some uncertainty about whether Holyrood could hold an ‘advisory’ referendum (in which the Scottish electorate were asked whether they supported the principle of independence but did not mandate independence itself) without consent.

The power to hold the 2014 referendum was transferred in 2012 after the UK and Scottish governments signed the Edinburgh Agreement. The UK parliament passed a ‘Section 30 order’ – which gave the Scottish parliament the power to legislate for the referendum— which “put beyond doubt” the legality of the vote. The power was only transferred on a temporary basis, the order specifying that a referendum must take place before 31 December 2014.

The Scottish government has never explicitly conceded that a referendum could not be held without Westminster’s authorisation. But its preference is to proceed with agreement, since any unauthorised referendum could be blocked in the Supreme Court or simply boycotted by unionist parties."
I would assume the Betfair market would be based on this, rather than Holyrood unilaterally hold a referendum. But you'd have to check the rules I guess before getting involved.
decomez6

" Under the Scotland Act 1998, the Scottish parliament is not allowed to pass legislation relating to matters “reserved” to Westminster, including “the Union of the Kingdoms of Scotland and England”. This is widely interpreted to mean that any referendum relating to Scottish independence would require Westminster’s approval. However, this has never been tested in court,

A lesson from history press "Repeat"

sir william wallace freedom (2).gif
the court of public opinion is way stronger than legislation , but i see where you coming from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”