EU Membership Referendum (Brexit)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
decomez6

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:49 am
decomez6 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:21 pm
SweetLyrics wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:13 pm
So unless Scotland can argue "we are not joining we are re-joining" or the EU change the current rule to accommodate them they will have to adopt the € if they want to join.
Children of divorced parents have the right to claim benefits from both mum and dad. They will go on to claim half brothers and sisters arising from new marriages of their divorced parents .
The Scotts are not to blame for Brexit and they will surely be treated as “rejoining “ or better “remaining”
firlandsfarm

decomez6 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:10 am
The Scotts are not to blame for Brexit and they will surely be treated as “rejoining “ or better “remaining”
Yes but even if "rejoining" that doesn't mean the EU will waive the rules just for them and that assumes the EU would want them! Why do you think Hadrian built a wall, it wasn't to keep the English in! :lol:
decomez6

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:32 am
decomez6 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:10 am
Yes but even if "rejoining" that doesn't mean the EU will waive the rules just for them and that assumes the EU would want them! Why do you think Hadrian built a wall, it wasn't to keep the English in! :lol:
french - barbarian connection is real :D :lol:
SweetLyrics

Quite.

I think the EU would also be concerned about English companies buying goods at EU tariff rates in Scotland. I doubt they would agree to a Northern Ireland style solution - I imagine the only reason they agreed to those arrangements for NI was because they thought that Boris was actually crazy enough to go for No Deal Brexit. And with 60% of Scotland's goods being exported to the rest of the UK, a hard border would be unworkable.

Plus, an independent Scotland could be an economic basket case, especially if the price of oil doesn't recover, and I'm sure that Germany doesn't fancy having yet another country to bail out. If would be ironic if the EU were to impose a PM on an 'independent' Scotland, as they did with Italy a few years ago.

Jeff
firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:32 am
Yes but even if "rejoining" that doesn't mean the EU will waive the rules just for them
firlandsfarm

SweetLyrics wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:48 am
Plus, an independent Scotland could be an economic basket case, especially if the price of oil doesn't recover,
Any country (except the hard liners like China) relying on oil sales in this climate conscious world is a basket case!
decomez6

60% of Scotland's goods being exported to the rest of the UK, a hard border would be unworkable.
Her majesty will have to pour a glass of scotch brew and toast to the proponents of a scott/english border, that will obviously not happen she is part of that 60%.

the only way is for scotland to adopt a digital currency ( scott bitcoin) and build a banking system detached from the sterling , afterall 75% of the scott economy is service based.
SweetLyrics

I'd like to see you try to buy a sandwich in Greggs with bitcoin! :D
decomez6 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:24 am
the only way is for scotland to adopt a digital currency ( scott bitcoin)
decomez6

:D magic of the sporran .

walk to greggs offer them to accept anything they find in the bag !

dance the beats coin.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sionascaig

Really not sure how the SNP will play this but suspect it will be:

1. Legal ref (on basis of public opinion)
2. Possibility of joining common market but remaining independent
3. Fantastic opportunity for non-scot businesses to move north to sell into EU
4. Down play oil
5. Up play wind, sea & green power in general

Last I heard, the argument for having a 2nd ref already resides with Scot parliament and they will proceed on that basis. If UK gov disagrees then off to court.

But yes, I cant see this (holding a ref) resolving soon as a delay plays into SNP hands - young folk tend to vote by an overwhelming majority for SNP and each year more are added to electoral roll..

My guess is for a lot of bluff & bluster this parliament & hold next...

Return to “Political betting & arguing”