EU Membership Referendum (Brexit)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
LeTiss

This is going to be an IMMENSE market

We've seen in recent years that Politics has become really huge on BF. The Scottish Independence vote was an absolute stonker

June 23rd £810k already matched

I thought I'd start a thread so we can all post our thoughts where we think this market will go

Currently

1.43 Stay
3.25 Leave
Crazyskier

Stay will SHORTEN by at least 15-20%
LeTiss

You're right, the price is shortening

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see that price bounce as we get nearer to June - this is what happened with the Scottish vote

Don't forget, UKIP won more votes than any other party at the last European Elections, so there's enough support to suggest it will be a competitve market
Euler

It should be a good market
LeTiss

Already the bounce back for LEAVE - exactly what happened in Scotland

I'm interested in connected markets, I'm especially looking at the market for 'Next Conservative Leader'

Boris Johnson has been well fancied for 2 years. However, if LEAVE is the winner, then Cameron is finished. He cannot continue as Prime Minister having failed to convince the public on such an important issue.

This will lead to a leadership contest. Realistically, the only people that could run for it would be those who backed the LEAVE campaign, and therefore would now have the job of dealing with the transition. Johnson has pinned his colours to the LEAVE mast, making him the overwhelming favourite to take over from Cameron

The price for Johnson could be an interesting sideline to keep your eye on!

22nd Feb
Matched £1.1 Million

1.51 Stay
2.94 Leave
Dallas

I have to applaud your angles on these markets LeTiss
hgodden

LeTiss 4pm wrote:Already the bounce back for LEAVE - exactly what happened in Scotland

I'm interested in connected markets, I'm especially looking at the market for 'Next Conservative Leader'

Boris Johnson has been well fancied for 2 years. However, if LEAVE is the winner, then Cameron is finished. He cannot continue as Prime Minister having failed to convince the public on such an important issue.

This will lead to a leadership contest. Realistically, the only people that could run for it would be those who backed the LEAVE campaign, and therefore would now have the job of dealing with the transition. Johnson has pinned his colours to the LEAVE mast, making him the overwhelming favourite to take over from Cameron

The price for Johnson could be an interesting sideline to keep your eye on!

22nd Feb
Matched £1.1 Million

1.51 Stay
2.94 Leave
Love the 'unintentional' subliminal messages in there LeTiss, wouldn't want to LEAVE things to chance now would we! ;) :lol:
superfrank

Hopefully it will become a tight race despite all the mainstream parties, big business and the BBC all wanting to stay in.

Fascinating stuff.

Expect the pollsters to bolux it up again.
Euler

From a personal perspective I would like to stay in the EU because I want the right to travel, live and work where I wish without a problem.

However I don't think the EU has brought much of the way in benefits as it's supposed to. Just look at the betting industry. When we started we serviced all EU countries. One by one they have all gone. So much for a free market.

So I'm not convinced by either argument.
convoysur-2

Euler wrote:From a personal perspective I would like to stay in the EU because I want the right to travel, live and work where I wish without a problem.

However I don't think the EU has brought much of the way in benefits as it's supposed to. Just look at the betting industry. When we started we serviced all EU countries. One by one they have all gone. So much for a free market.

So I'm not convinced by either argument.
and all the potential gouverments in this election ,this month in ireland are for taxing betting ,
so im sure it will be the end of betfair here just like the other countries that have gone that way,
LinusP

I don't know enough about the economic factors but surely there is a relationship between this market and GBP/EUR. Whether its mean reversion or one moving before the other, I would assume that the fx market is more accurate than betfair?
convoysur-2

well all this talk is certainly devaluing the sterling
this a a monthly chart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazyskier

convoysur-2 wrote:well all this talk is certainly devaluing the sterling
this a a monthly chart

I very nearly purchased a property in Caleta De Fuste last summer, (Islas Canarias) when I could have had a bank exchange rate of 1.41 Euros to the pound...

Yes, I expect the pound to plummet to around 1:1.1 until we decide to stay in the Eu, when it will undoubtedly rebound.
superfrank

Crazyskier wrote:Yes, I expect the pound to plummet to around 1:1.1 until we decide to stay in the Eu, when it will undoubtedly rebound.
Brexit could well be a positive for the £ if it happens - it's the uncertainty causing the current weakness and markets believing some of the official scaremongering. The fundamentals of the UK economy mean it's still toast long-term though (in or out).

Return to “Political betting & arguing”