France Presidential Election 2017

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
ruthlessimon

couldn't resist!! :lol: :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Breaking news - Le Pen 'steps aside' as party leader
LeTiss

Not sure if that will make a difference or not

It's like Nigel Farage standing as an Independent candidate, instead of representing UKIP

Would that make a difference to his votes?
ruthlessimon

Euler wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:16 pm
Breaking news - Le Pen 'steps aside' as party leader
going as an independent probably a smart move. Im surprised she's drifted, Imo she's increased her chances of a victory
Laugro1968

Withheld every poll going 60-40 for Macron, she hardly got any chance of winning this.
I'm sure one poll will probably show 55-45 and he'll start drifting. If he hits 1.3, I'm in.
Her big friend would be huge abstention figures in two weeks time!
Samo154

I'm a macron layer, so much can happen in two weeks and I believe it's closer than most think
ShaunWhite

I see MLP's new offer to the people incudes, "Retirement age fixed at 60 and 35-hour week assured"

There's no way the French will vote for that kind of hardship. Not even a mention of breaks for a Gauloises and shot of Pastis. Career suicide.
LeTiss

Quite a bit of money for Le Pen today

Brexit and Trump taught us something - the polls got them both horribly wrong. People were telling the polls something different, to what they were really feeling. Those that voted for the politically incorrect option, didn't shout it from the rooftops

I know France is different, as they have already had 1 round of voting, but on the basis of Brexit and Trump, I suspect this result may be much closer than many Liberals would want to believe
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:02 pm
Quite a bit of money for Le Pen today

Brexit and Trump taught us something - the polls got them both horribly wrong. People were telling the polls something different, to what they were really feeling. Those that voted for the politically incorrect option, didn't shout it from the rooftops
On that logic we're heading for a Corbyn victory. There's a lot of shy-labourites this time, and being left leaning seems to be the politically incorrect opinion these days, especially round here. ;)
ruthlessimon

put £1000 on it Shuan :D
Laugro1968

Corbyn in the UK and Le Pen in France! Isn't that the world on its head???:)
Laugro1968

Can somebody explain what is happening with the "1st round vote percentage - Fillon" market?
It should be closed by now. Interior ministry official result is 20.01%. Total count is 7.213.797 votes out of a total of 36.058.813 (http://elections.interieur.gouv.fr/pres ... 17/FE.html). This is 20.00564% rounded up to 20.01%. Why is the market still open?
ShaunWhite

Le Pen was never even close, I've always liked the our Euopean cousins, long tradition of phylosophical thinking.

A month ago I said "They're natural libertarians so they don't like the authoritarian right ...but also fiercely protective of their traditions, which are being wiped out by the left. ..... so in this one, who knows."

Kicking myself now as the conclusion wasn't 'who knows'... it was obviously 'centrist liberal'. :roll: Can't believe I missed that one.

Even with the added problems of being in mainland Europe they know the answer to hard times is to pull together.
"Blitz spirit" has lasted longer in their memory than ours.
Naffman

The french have always been a weak bunch which we've seen reinforced over the past few weeks. When the EU collapses in the next few years the UK will be miles ahead of everybody else whereas France will have to start right at the bottom again. Get your popcorn ready guys :D
LeTiss

I like France, it's a lovely country, and on the whole they are lovely people. Sadly though, they aren't a brave nation, they can't help it, it's in their DNA.

History is always written by the winners.......that explains all the blank pages in French history books

Return to “Political betting & arguing”