UK General Election **June 8th**

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
max_usted

LeTiss wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:56 pm
I blame our education system for that - it is riddled with teachers who are scumbags, and are only interested in brainwashing kids with lefty bullshit.

These kids seem to think that Communism is a good thing, and anybody right of centre is a fascist - that's purely because of the terrible state of our education system. By the time those students are working for a living, and are stuck with a mortgage and an unhappy marriage, they will realise left-wing politics is dangerous and full of lies (disguised as hope)
Not forgetting the 20,000 pounds debt they'll have for a degree in Gender Studies from Wimbledon Polytechnic. The education system is the medieval church of our times, rinsing common people dry for an indoctrination in (often) useless drivel.
Dublin_Flyer

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:37 pm

I'll say it first... it will be within 5 years until we have white british non religious or christian bombers against muslims and islam here in the UK.

Why white?
Would it be surprising if it was an Asian or black British non religious person?
workpeter

All the more reason to back Gold, or one of the arms suppliers, lockheed martin etc.
vankancisco

Unbelievable to think what's happened in politics over the last 24 months, it certainly illustrates why we should all participate in our democracy. It isn't actually just about elections, there's so much more to it than that. I think Peter's blogs are great, but I thought the 'none of the above' stance has never been more irrelevant. There's so many issues at stake at the moment, so many reasons to vote.

It's going to be interesting to see how Murdoch and Dacre now try to attack Corbyn. The big mistake they are making is treating the public like fools - in such an obvious way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SeuH7FG9mSA
Euler

I've been really impressed with Emmanuel Macron. May move to France :)
LeTiss

Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 am
:lol:

We agree on many things Peter, but our politics couldn't be more different my old mate
marksmeets302

Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 am
At first I also thought he would be the man to turn things around there. Unfortunately the week after he was instated he immediately issued measures to protect the french car making industry even further. On top of that he wants to make parts of the martial law permanent. The french are being manipulated into giving up their essential freedoms.
Euler

Haven't been following it that closely. He just seemed to not be afraid to speak his mind in front of other leaders. Maybe I won't be moving to France!
marksmeets302

That time when he crushed trumps hand was hilarious though :D
Euler

What's the political situation in the Netherlands? I have a friend who has relocated from California to Amsterdam for six months.
marksmeets302

Euler wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
What's the political situation in the Netherlands? I have a friend who has relocated from California to Amsterdam for six months.
Well, there's a long story and a short one. I'll do the short one here. I'm planning on going to London to visit friends. If you want I can give you the long story then :-) (Would love to meet you anyway)
It seems the populists are over their peak. People here are of course disgusted by the attacks in the UK but it looks like a realization is starting to sink in that this is not specific to this era. Think IRA, rote armee fraction, ETA, we even had our own little terrorist group here called rara. A movement against giving up rights in order to prevent new attacks seems to be coming forth.
Aside from that, our political situation is in as much turmoil as in the UK. After the last elections at least 4 parties are needed to get a majority. This doesn't seem to pan out and that's really a shame because there are a couple of pressing matters that need direct attention. We have a tax system that has become a complete mess, and partially as a result of that we have a severely disturbed job market. Almost everybody is a freelancer here, from the mail man to the IT guy. On top of that we have a pension problem and our home-owning is too heavily subsidized and leans on low interest rates. That may sound like a lot of challenges, but it is still very nice to live here. Your friend will have to get used to the climate though!
cybernet69

Queens speech to be delayed by a few days. TM to meet her back benchers this evening.

Whats the odds on a leadership challenge before the weeks out ? :lol:
LeTiss

You can still get over 2/1 that she doesn't last the end of June

There might be some value in that
cybernet69

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:35 pm
You can still get over 2/1 that she doesn't last the end of June

There might be some value in that
I think that has got to be worth a punt. I know they don't normally but if 30 Tory MP's abstain or vote against the Queens speech then it could be rather chaotic. Assuming Labour, LD, SNP also vote against etc.
gazuty

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I accept the democratic will of the people but I lament the lurch of politics to the left. The move away from individualism towards collectivism. I remember the thrill of the fall of the Berlin wall, the joy of freedom, watching it all unfold on a tv my brother won in a cricket club raffle in the Australian summer of 89. It always struck me with the iron curtain, the communists needed a system to keep people in their countries. Freedom, at all levels, was denied. No one could travel to the west for fear that they would never come back, or that they would come back only to rebel against the brain washing of the superiority of the communist system.

And now, what do we have. Communists masquerading as social democrats. Corbyn running around talking of nationalising industries (aka theft of private property), taxing the "rich" (aka theft of individual private work product), anti-austerity (aka wasting money on the non-productive and idle).

Young people who don't know history, haven't read Orwell let alone Solzhenitsyn. The sort of people who haven't created anything, who haven't achieved anything who then say, it's all unfair.

The right is failing to sell its message of freedom and liberty.

Looks like another generation will need to be enslaved, to live in debt and deficit, to pay high taxes in a sub-standard economy, to live out Jeremy's little experiment to prove once again that communism is not a successful form of civil society.

Where does it all come from? Well, I understand that after the fall of communism, Marxists retreated in Western democracy from running for elected office (they couldn't win) into the unelected bureaucracies, chipping away at a policy here, advancing a policy there. In Australia, the far left has been quite successful in slowly but surely subverting institutions to their own ends, in particular teachers unions and elements of the education system. The right took its eye of the ball. As Voltaire might have said, it is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”