Peterborough by-Election

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
LeTiss

Thursday 6th June - £20k matched so far, but looks a very interesting market over the next couple of weeks

The Brexit Party trading at 1.74
Labour 2.52
Tory 28

Amazing prices considering Brexit Party are so new, and have never stood in any kind of election yet - it will be interesting to see how these prices will change in the European elections - that will be a real guide, as to whether the people of Peterborough will support the Brexit Party for their MP, not just MEP

Historically, Peterborough became a consituency in it's own right in 1974.
In those 45 years, 30 have been with a Tory MP and 15 with Labour

EU referendum - 60.9% Leave 39.1% Remain

It will be a great guide, to see whether there has been any swing to Remain
brimson25

There is also, of course, the local factor: the previous MP was jailed for lying about a speeding fine, hence the reason for the byelection.

Comparing herself to Jesus after the penalty points conviction, also suggests to me a somewhat troubled mind, to put it generously.

Were I a constituent, I'd be sceptical of the Labour candidate, simply because the previous one was so substantially impaired.
LeTiss

Exactly right, I overlooked at how Labour may be damaged by the previous MP
brimson25

The oddest thing is: normally, an MP being jailed, sacked and then revealing a messiah-complex would be (rightly) huge news. In this political climate, it seems like an after-thought.
LeTiss

Yes, that's because she will immediately play the race card, or accuse people of misogyny

This is the nettle many fail to grasp....this is why many have become anti-establishment, or turned to right-wing/populist politicans - it's because people have had a bloody gutful of being hit with this PC stick constantly.
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:42 pm
it's because people have had a bloody gutful of being hit with this PC stick constantly.
Understandable, but the 'PC card' only started to be used when minorities (and women) finally became sick of decades of predudice. If they hadn't felt they needed the PC card, then they wouldn't be using it. You reap what you sow. If you're sick of the PC card which doesn't actually do you any harm apart from being an irritant, imagine how sick they were of being discriminated against.

(not here for a row, just trying to see things from both sides, because there's ALWAYS two sides)

Truth is that discrimination affects women, minorities, and the indiginous white working classes equally. That should be reason for solidarity rather than division and to some extent I think both 'sides' are equally naive about how they're being manipulated. If you're looking for the turning point when the white working classes lost their voice and identity, then look no further back than the Thatcher years when the unions were castrated. I know why you dislike the 'lovies on the left' but you have to admit they've always championed the rights of the downtrodded, whatever race, colour or sex they are, while the Tory right has championed economic growth at the expense of your average blue collar guy. They should be angry, but I'm not sure their anger is directed at the right people.
LeTiss

But, this is where the subject of Brexit becomes so fascinating - and it's the prime reason why staunch Remainers cannot get their head around it, as they are not 100% sure who they are fighting.........the biggest votes for Brexit came in both the EU sceptic Tory seats, and in the staunchest traditional Labour working class towns. The areas they didn't fare so well in were centrally driven areas

When you're not sure who your enemy is, the easiest thing to do is just label them all as Fascists, which seems to be the weapon of choice for many Remain politicians
brimson25

That the new "populist" venal, selfish scumbags are likely to prove a moral or any other kind of improvement on the present incumbents (and I accept some of your criticisms) isn't a bet I'd be making at most prices.

If anyone wants to negotiate, I want a bigger price than the exchange can offer.

Were I to make that bet, I'd be ignoring, inter alia:

- Their dubious sources of funding (related to their actual probable agenda);
- Their lamentable lack of policies;
- (In some cases) their criminal records, and histories both of violence and violent language.

Changing one group of exploitative parasites for a different (and in my view far worse and far more dangerous) group of exploitative parasites doesn't solve your parasite problem. It merely gives you the temporary lift of a change in type of irritation.

You'll note that I'm not defending that status quo. I don't have to do that, to argue that there are even worse things out there.

The world is bad and about to get worse. I'm 40. I wish I were older. I'd far rather just leave you all fighting like rats in a sack fairly soon.
BetScalper

The fighting between leave or remain will carry on for many more years to come.

Unfortunately i fully expect at some point the anger will multiple by 100 and some or many will end up being killed / murdered.

There is no party or policies that will bring the country together. Even if that did happen, you only need a small extreme group or loan wolf to take matters into their own hands.

And who is to say that there are not Soldiers and Police Officers who feel strongly one way or the other.

Given the amount of Assault Rifles, Machine Guns, Pistols, Grenades, Ammunition, Body Armour and Night Vision equipment that has gone missing from UK Army bases since 2006 then I think everyone should be rather worried.

How can you lose 117 Assault Rifles, 80 Machine Guns, 103 Pistols and only recover 39 in total ????
jimibt

BetScalper wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:38 pm
The fighting between leave or remain will carry on for many more years to come.

Unfortunately i fully expect at some point the anger will multiple by 100 and some or many will end up being killed / murdered.

There is no party or policies that will bring the country together. Even if that did happen, you only need a small extreme group or loan wolf to take matters into their own hands.

And who is to say that there are not Soldiers and Police Officers who feel strongly one way or the other.

Given the amount of Assault Rifles, Machine Guns, Pistols, Grenades, Ammunition, Body Armour and Night Vision equipment that has gone missing from UK Army bases since 2006 then I think everyone should be rather worried.

How can you lose 117 Assault Rifles, 80 Machine Guns, 103 Pistols and only recover 39 in total ????
you've obviously not watched line of duty -lol
ShaunWhite

brimson25 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:53 pm
I'm 40. I wish I were older.
I'm older and I promise you that when you're older, you'll wish you were 40 :)
Ahhh 40.....the days when I didn't make a noise when I stood up or sat down, and didn't waste my time tending the little strip of grass near the pavement in front of the house. And lets not even mention the little blue tablets. mmmmm 40, enjoy it while you can kid ;)
brimson25

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:45 pm
brimson25 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:53 pm
I'm 40. I wish I were older.
I'm older and I promise you that when you're older, you'll wish you were 40 :)
Ahhh 40.....the days when I didn't make a noise when I stood up or sat down, and didn't waste my time tending the little strip of grass near the pavement in front of the house. And lets not even mention the little blue tablets. mmmmm 40, enjoy it while you can kid ;)
Thanks Shaun. I've never been very good at enjoying things. I'll have to try harder.
LeTiss

Politics are very divisive.......but at least we can all laugh at Shaun's erection problems :lol:

Whenever you seem down on here, I must remind myself not to say "Keep your pecker up"
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:51 pm
Politics are very divisive.......but at least we can all laugh at Shaun's erection problems :lol:

Whenever you seem down on here, I must remind myself not to say "Keep your pecker up"
:lol: ....i threw that one in for comic effect, it's not actually true. Really, i promise, i did. :?
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:07 pm
LeTiss wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:51 pm

:lol: ....i threw that one in for comic effect, it's not actually true. Really, i promise, i did. :?
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

lol

Return to “Political betting & arguing”