Peterborough by-Election

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
BetScalper

jimibt wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:39 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:38 pm
The fighting between leave or remain will carry on for many more years to come.

Unfortunately i fully expect at some point the anger will multiple by 100 and some or many will end up being killed / murdered.

There is no party or policies that will bring the country together. Even if that did happen, you only need a small extreme group or loan wolf to take matters into their own hands.

And who is to say that there are not Soldiers and Police Officers who feel strongly one way or the other.

Given the amount of Assault Rifles, Machine Guns, Pistols, Grenades, Ammunition, Body Armour and Night Vision equipment that has gone missing from UK Army bases since 2006 then I think everyone should be rather worried.

How can you lose 117 Assault Rifles, 80 Machine Guns, 103 Pistols and only recover 39 in total ????
you've obviously not watched line of duty -lol
Watched all of them. 😀

Mind you when I was at shorncliff barracks back in the 80s the armoury and front gate was often open and unmanned. Would have been very easy to wonder in and out unchallenged unless you were wearing a short skirt, high heels and crawling through an opening in the fence behind the gymnasium. :) They always seemed to get caught asap. :)

There were obviously more worried about flesh equipment going walk about’s as opposed to metal equipment leaving the base. 🤪
ShaunWhite

If people won't mobilise to address the really big issues, I doubt they will over money, a few immigrants and the colour of their passport. If brexit is the most important thing in your life then it's time to get some perspective.

Trouble is that brexit is 'trendy' and easy to be excited about, when everything else that's far more important is too challenging. In ug, Out ug, jeez its so freakin childish. If people are going to 'do' politics they should do it properly and realise its about nuance and perspective and not something you encapsulate in the headline of a red top. Evolution rather than revolution has done us fine for 1000yrs, suddenly every amateur thinks they know better.
ShaunWhite

BetScalper wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:21 pm
Given the amount of Assault Rifles, Machine Guns, Pistols, Grenades, Ammunition, Body Armour and Night Vision equipment that has gone missing from UK Army bases since 2006 then I think everyone should be rather worried.
All that gear was probably shipped out to Ireland or Iran to order, it usually is and there's always been plenty of bent coppers and military around. I don't think it's just in the hands of a few psycopaths as you suggest it is.
BetScalper

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:29 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:21 pm
All that gear was probably shipped out to Ireland or Iran to order, it usually is and there's always been plenty of bent coppers and military around. I don't think it's just in the hands of a few psycopaths as you suggest it is.
Your probably correct Shaun.

But if a handful is in the hands of nutters or a single individual then that's all it takes to cause mayhem at a march, demonstration or rally as has been shown around the world.

The massive increase in AirGun technology over the last year has shown that a semi-automatic PCP is very close to rimfire power levels and you can order one to your door via Holland with no UK RFD checks. You just ask that it is set to Sub 12 UK power levels via the regulator. That way your covered if UK customs do inspect the package. Once delivered you up the regulator pressure and swap out the hammer spring. Having a semi-auto PCP which fires a 35 grain rifled bullet at 950 FPS is more than enough to cause serious harm out to 100 yards. This means you have some serious killing power without the sound of a normal firearm, no checks and it wont leave any GSR on the assailant to use in court unless they were caught with item in their possession etc.
ShaunWhite

Yep the world gets scarier by the day, I'm on the verge of never watching the news and just living in ignorant bliss.The spread of guns will make knife crime look like a tea party, but being a country boy in an area where everyone is armed to the eyeballs, I think our compound will be safe if the you know what hits the fan.
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:12 pm
Yep the world gets scarier by the day, I'm on the verge of never watching the news and just living in ignorant bliss.The spread of guns will make knife crime look like a tea party, but being a country boy in an area where everyone is armed to the eyeballs, I think our compound will be safe if the you know what hits the fan.
I more or less don't watch the news as it adds little but depression and anxiety to most, but social media is worst. I've taken to just cutting myself off from most of it and just being myself.

I also thinks that it helps my trading. You can look at things purely objectively.
ShaunWhite

+1
As you know I had a similar dilemma with the forum. On balance I see the value, however steering clear of the pointless bickering is my problem, not the fault of the medium. Turning a blind eye was never my strong point and if you care about the world then staying informed but not letting things preoccupy you is tough.
Euler

I think you learn how to do that over time. It's difficult to not care, but I often found myself in arguments where I know I was right but the other side just couldn't find it in themselves to see my viewpoint or understand it. So when you see that, you realise that sometimes it's just not worth the energy any more.

I said in an interview recently it was like trying to convince somebody not to jump off a cliff because they can't fly. But they do it anyway just to prove you wrong! You realise the hopelessness of it, but at the same time it teaches you a lot about the way people think and the world works. You have to come to terms with that though. But you get a sense of enlightenment through doing that.
ruthlessimon

Euler wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 pm
I often found myself in arguments where I know I was right but the other side just couldn't find it in themselves to see my viewpoint or understand it. So when you see that, you realise that sometimes it's just not worth the energy any more.
Problem is, when it comes to stuff like politics that mentality backfires

James O'Brien being the guy who comes to mind. "knows he's right" on Brexit, but refuses to debate Farage et al; because they're all "faith based fascists". Just screams of a weak argument - even though I think he talks sense a lot of the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axLpnnFVKcM
ShaunWhite

ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 am
Euler wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 pm
I often found myself in arguments where I know I was right but the other side just couldn't find it in themselves to see my viewpoint or understand it. So when you see that, you realise that sometimes it's just not worth the energy any more.
Problem is, when it comes to stuff like politics that mentality backfires
I dunno, when positions are so entrenched then it's only worth debating if it's going to be mentally stimulating for the participants or the audience. A good debate should be like fencing or a chess game, and a handshake at the end. There's no joy to be had if someone isn't going to argue properly and just spouts soundbites. These days debating is about digging out differences when it's real function should be to find common ground, it's not really about 'winning' because as we all know neither end of the bell curve holds the answers.

There's a new series of Across the Red Line on R4, where people with opposing views are mediated by a conflict resolution expert. This week "Are referendums good for democracy". Much more interesting than yet another so called debate and explores the relative importance of the process vs the outcome.

That said, I hear ITV have got a lie detector machine going spare, if Question Time bought it then it might get interesting. ;)
firlandsfarm

ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 am
James O'Brien being the guy who comes to mind.
The problem with James O'Brien is that he is so busy talking about others as being bigots that he doesn't realise that he is himself a bigot … Bigot: "A person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions" (OED)
LeTiss

Brexit Party very short - I'm wondering if they might be worth a lay

We're hearing that Labour's push today in Peterborough is looking impressive
Dallas

A few days ago I heard bookies were refusing to take bets on the Brexit party anymore

I've not checked to see if that's still the case
LeTiss

No, they are all taking bets today. Brexit Party currently drifting
superfrank

Low turnout might be the worry - Leave voting areas had very low turnouts in the Euros.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”