Next Tory Leader & May's Exit Date (2019)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
firlandsfarm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but who is that in the undergrowth
wearthefoxhat

firlandsfarm wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:39 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but who is that in the undergrowth
Could be Robert Winston the IVF medical guy, (also a Labour politician) or...

Groucho Marx... (who once famously said.."man does not control his own fate, the women in his life do that for him") ;)
Archangel

Boris Johnson paints buses for relaxation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLcCZjDoWTQ

If you want to put your head in your hands take a ticket and get in line.
superfrank

Liam Halligan:
The media establishment is in full-scale attack mode. Boris Johnson faces a no-holds-barred onslaught – as blatantly pro-Remain broadcasters throw whatever mud they can to stop him reaching No 10. Some have genuine reservations about Johnson’s suitability for high office. But much of this relentless negativity is driven by envy, class warfare and, above all, Brexit.

The bien pensants in both politics and the media know Johnson is determined to leave the European Union, if necessary with no deal, on October 31. And the Boris-bashers’ biggest fear is that his enthusiasm and belief that we can finally do so, after three years of foot-dragging, proves infectious ­– generating the final wave of public support that gets a meaningful Brexit over the line.

Johnson’s rallying cry that Britain can thrive by staying close to Europe, but outside an increasingly over-bearing EU, is not only economically true, it also taps into a deep well of emotion – not only among the Leave-voting majority, but also the millions who backed Remain and know that it’s vital for the integrity of British democracy that this debilitating log-jam is broken.

The Government must put our destiny into our own hands by preparing, practically and psychologically, to leave the EU without a deal. If not, we are powerless, requiring Brussels’ permission to implement the biggest act of democracy in our history. To avoid that fate, we need a prime minister who can show the public and Brussels that no deal, while not the best outcome, is entirely acceptable. Someone with some “positive energy”, as Johnson put it.

The UK already conducts most of its trade outside the EU largely under WTO rules. Such trade is growing and generates a surplus. Our EU trade, despite the single market, is falling and generates a deficit. Under WTO rules, the UK and EU would charge relatively low reciprocal tariffs – generating billions for Britain given our EU trade deficit. Such funds can support exporters facing higher EU tariffs, putting us in a powerful position to strike the long-term free trade deal both sides want.
I don't think the media have got much left and it'll get tiring and more ineffective over time, just like Project Fear did.

Boris will win very comfortably imho.
greenmark

superfrank wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:28 pm
Liam Halligan:
The media establishment is in full-scale attack mode. Boris Johnson faces a no-holds-barred onslaught – as blatantly pro-Remain broadcasters throw whatever mud they can to stop him reaching No 10. Some have genuine reservations about Johnson’s suitability for high office. But much of this relentless negativity is driven by envy, class warfare and, above all, Brexit.

The bien pensants in both politics and the media know Johnson is determined to leave the European Union, if necessary with no deal, on October 31. And the Boris-bashers’ biggest fear is that his enthusiasm and belief that we can finally do so, after three years of foot-dragging, proves infectious ­– generating the final wave of public support that gets a meaningful Brexit over the line.

Johnson’s rallying cry that Britain can thrive by staying close to Europe, but outside an increasingly over-bearing EU, is not only economically true, it also taps into a deep well of emotion – not only among the Leave-voting majority, but also the millions who backed Remain and know that it’s vital for the integrity of British democracy that this debilitating log-jam is broken.

The Government must put our destiny into our own hands by preparing, practically and psychologically, to leave the EU without a deal. If not, we are powerless, requiring Brussels’ permission to implement the biggest act of democracy in our history. To avoid that fate, we need a prime minister who can show the public and Brussels that no deal, while not the best outcome, is entirely acceptable. Someone with some “positive energy”, as Johnson put it.

The UK already conducts most of its trade outside the EU largely under WTO rules. Such trade is growing and generates a surplus. Our EU trade, despite the single market, is falling and generates a deficit. Under WTO rules, the UK and EU would charge relatively low reciprocal tariffs – generating billions for Britain given our EU trade deficit. Such funds can support exporters facing higher EU tariffs, putting us in a powerful position to strike the long-term free trade deal both sides want.
I don't think the media have got much left and it'll get tiring and more ineffective over time, just like Project Fear did.

Boris will win very comfortably imho.
Thst'd be the Telegraph columnist Liam Halligan. Same paper as Johnson, funny that.
In the interests of balance there's this from Polly Toynbee. I realise she is a remainer as is the Guadrian, broadly speaking.
But its eye-catching for it's almost rabid dislike for Johnson.
He is marmite, he revels in it. As such I can't see him doing anything as PM.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... 1560356349
Naffman

Hunt got no chance, portraying himself more like Rory Stewart and not even Theresa now :?
dragontrades

layed Boris again at 1.17 after getting out yesterday at 1.29
Naffman

dragontrades wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 pm
layed Boris again at 1.17 after getting out yesterday at 1.29
He made comments about Farage and the milkshake incident, the Con. members won't like that one bit
Archangel

I wonder is there any level of integrity left in politics. Here is Boris, who has lost two jobs in his career already for lying, and is odds on favourite to be the Prime Minister of the UK.

Maybe its a case of if he gets the job done, does it matter if he tells porkies
greenmark

Johnson to lay at 1.18. It's not hard to see that being a decent call. We're only days into the campaign and his enemies are feeding stuff to the media. He is a bull in a China shop. Definitely is not a 'politician'. Thatcher was a politician par exellence (even though I disagreed with her idealogy and how she implemented it). But Boris just blunders around being Boris.
You could point to his London Mayor, but that's a fiefdom.
He doesn't impress me with his intellect.
I think I might go for a lay on him.
Emmson

Archangel wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 pm
I wonder is there any level of integrity left in politics. Here is Boris, who has lost two jobs in his career already for lying, and is odds on favourite to be the Prime Minister of the UK.

Maybe its a case of if he gets the job done, does it matter if he tells porkies
It bothers me greatly, goes beyond a left right divide or brexit/bremain divide. A complete charlatan with no moral character like him should not come anywhere near the most important job in the country.
Black Ice

“He’s lied his way through life, he’s lied his way through politics, he’s a huckster with a degree of charm to which I am immune. As well as being mendacious he’s incompetent.”
Conservative former minister & final Governor of Hong Kong Chris Patten in May interview with Bloomberg

A fit summing up of Johnson's character by one who knows him

How the hell did we end up in this mess?
superfrank

I don't know what you're all worrying about.

Everybody lies. All politicians lie. May said 108 times that "no deal is better than a bad deal" then dropped it, later claiming she was "speaking in the abstract".

Tony Blair and Alastair Campbell are compulsive liars who took us to WAR on completely fabricated evidence.

Boris will at the very least be an entertaining PM.
greenmark

No deal? No problem.
"Mick Chalmers, regional officer for the Unite union, said: "PSA have made it very clear that no deal means no deal for Ellesmere Port."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-48790657
sa7med

Have to say im loving theresa may's devil may care (no pun intended) attitude now that she's on borrowed time :lol: also she scored a very much needed goal for the environment, perhaps we can have her back?

Return to “Political betting & arguing”