Brecon and Radnor by-election

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
superfrank

Another one!

Tory MP Chris Davies recalled from parliament after being found guilty of fiddling his expenses. Doesn't look like there's a market up just yet.

As an aside, why haven't the likes of Chukka Umunna and Anna Soubry called by-elections after switching party? Both Douglas Carswell and Mark Reckless triggered by-elections when they moved from the Tories to UKIP. More honour among proper right-wingers me thinks! ;)
ShaunWhite

superfrank wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:07 pm
Why haven't the likes of Chukka Umunna and Anna Soubry called by-elections after switching party?
Both Douglas Carswell and Mark Reckless triggered by-elections when they moved from the Tories to UKIP.
A by-election is triggered by the Chief Whip of the party that held the seat, it's nothing to do with the MP who's leaving.
The Tories thought the Carswell and Douglas seats we're takable, but obviously didn't when Sourbry moved.

It's the rules of the game, an MP can't call a by-election no more than you can.

What has being 'proper' right wing (whatever that means) got to do with it?
Last edited by ShaunWhite on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firlandsfarm

superfrank wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:07 pm
why haven't the likes of Chukka Umunna … called by-elections after switching party?
Chukka would need 2 by-elections!
superfrank

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:44 pm
A by-election is triggered by the Chief Whip of the party that held the seat, it's nothing to do with the MP who's leaving.
The Tories thought the Carswell and Douglas seats we're takable, but obviously didn't when Sourbry moved.

It's the rules of the game, an MP can't call a by-election no more than you can.
Not true.
On 28 August 2014, Carswell defected from the Conservatives to the UK Independence Party. Although not required to do so, he resigned his seat as an MP, thus triggering a by-election.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Carswell

The honourable way to do it. I think Reckless did the same thing.
brimson25

Interesting what I associate the use of the word "methinks" with; perhaps it's confirmation bias.
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm not sure Shaun. You are correct in saying "it's The Chief Whip of the political party whose MP held the vacant seat starts the process of a by-election" (https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/ele ... elections/) but there is no vacant seat until the MP resigns (or dies, is declared bankrupt, is unable to carry out their duties due to mental illness or is convicted of a serious criminal offence.) And on a matter of timing who is the Chief Whip for an MP who has resigned the Whip? Maybe it depends on the order of events … resign the seat followed by resign the Whip or resign the Whip followed by resign the seat!
ShaunWhite

Why are by-elections held?

A by-election is held when a seat becomes vacant. This can happen when an MP:

resigns or dies
is declared bankrupt
is unable to carry out their duties due to mental illness
is convicted of a serious criminal offence.

A by-election does not have to take place if an MP changes political party.

Until an election, an MP of the same party in a neighbouring constituency manages constituency matters.
What is 'moving the writ'?

The Chief Whip of the political party whose MP held the vacant seat starts the process of a by-election.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/ele ... ump-link-3
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:00 pm
resign the seat followed by resign the Whip or resign the Whip followed by resign the seat!
I'll stand corrected on this point of order.

I'd forgotten Carswell was so honourable ....

"Carswell originally designated a £1 million flat in London as his second home, and claimed over £21,000 for food, rent and furniture"
brimson25

FAKE NEWS, methinks :D
Dallas

I have no idea at all on the actual rules but automatically assumed that because of the number of times both Chucka and Soubry have been asked to call a by-election instead of giving excuses - wouldn't they just say I'm not allowed to if it wasn't within their power?
superfrank

Dallas wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:21 pm
I have no idea at all on the actual rules but automatically assumed that because of the number of times both Chucka and Soubry have been asked to call a by-election instead of giving excuses - wouldn't they just say I'm not allowed to if it wasn't within their power?
Chukka, Soubry et al could resign and trigger by-elections if they so wished. What Shaun said in post 2 was effectively false.

They stood at the last election on manifestos that vowed to respect the referendum result and leave the EU. Surely to resign and stand anew would be the honourable thing to do?
ShaunWhite

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:17 pm
FAKE NEWS, methinks :D
hilarious.
Fake news as you well know is deliberate, it's propaganda, in this case it was a mistake for which I have no problem admitting.
I'll even resign my seat and you can elect someone else to take my place if it makes you happy.
brimson25

I hope you're very comfortable in your seat, mate. Enjoy it.
ShaunWhite

superfrank wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:30 pm
What Shaun said in post 2 was effectively false.
Yep my comment was wrong, and yours that went on about how everyone you like is so awesome, and how everyone else is scum is completely true.
Happy now?
ShaunWhite

brimson25 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:51 pm
I hope you're very comfortable in your seat, mate. Enjoy it.
:) I shouldn't even be on here. I'm suposed to be mowing.

In all seriousness, sorry frank, I did f-up my info, you were right about the proceedures.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”