General Election 2019 (UK)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Naffman

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:38 pm
Everyone knew this was another Brexit vote and the answer given was the largest majority since 1987.

Under first pass the post system, the Electorate have spoken, again.

Time to move on and forward, although I am not sure where Labour go from here. Toxic.
Looking at the next labour leader odds it looks like Labour are going down the same route 8-)
Archery1969

Naffman wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:42 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:38 pm
Everyone knew this was another Brexit vote and the answer given was the largest majority since 1987.

Under first pass the post system, the Electorate have spoken, again.

Time to move on and forward, although I am not sure where Labour go from here. Toxic.
Looking at the next labour leader odds it looks like Labour are going down the same route 8-)
Then that will be their own fault again. They got rid of David Miliband who was middle of the road. So, a complete fcuk up, again.
Crazyskier

[/quote]
A pro-Brexit party won the UK election decisively. The rest is irrelevant.
Scotland voted to stay in the union (in a "once in a generation" vote) so the result applies to you just as much as it does to the English.
Have a good weekend everyone.
[/quote]

Well said. Hear hear.

CS
Euler

Note sure Labour have learnt much from this defeat. The party line is that Brexit lost them the election, it's so obvious there were so many factors on top of that. It's going to be a long road back.
jamesg46

I knew it wouldn't take long for this kind of line...

Awaiting

#RussianCollusion
#TaxReturns
#ImpeachBorris
#whatever else you can dream up

We just have to go back and check the last 3 and half years of American leftist tweets to predict what is coming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Social media has really brought on conspiracy theories good and proper. Not just talking about Politics, but in a whole range of places.

It's odd, because it's a real opportunity to peer into peoples mind and the psychology of why humans have made so many mistakes, gone into wars etc over their history.

Emotional intelligence was obviously required by evolution, but it sure has some odd side effects. I'd say thinking, in general, has gone backwards in recent years. Just seems so little intelligent debate.
Dallas

Euler wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:22 pm
Note sure Labour have learnt much from this defeat. The party line is that Brexit lost them the election, it's so obvious there were so many factors on top of that. It's going to be a long road back.
Just heard a surprising fact that if you take out the Blair years Labour haven't won a GE in 50 years.
Emmson

Dallas wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 pm
Euler wrote:
Just heard a surprising fact that if you take out the Blair years Labour haven't won a GE in 50 years.
Harold Wilson won 2 in 1974
jamesg46

Euler wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:39 pm
Social media has really brought on conspiracy theories good and proper. Not just talking about Politics, but in a whole range of places.

It's odd, because it's a real opportunity to peer into peoples mind and the psychology of why humans have made so many mistakes, gone into wars etc over their history.

Emotional intelligence was obviously required by evolution, but it sure has some odd side effects. I'd say thinking, in general, has gone backwards in recent years. Just seems so little intelligent debate.
For some time after opening a Twitter account I participated in responding to tweets like the one above, it took me some time before realising how much time I had spent & wasted behaving so negatively. It used to frustrate me to my limit, I remember one Saturday night spending a whole night having a debate with someone on Twitter only to realise it was around 5am and in 2 hours I had to go and take my daughter to her swimming lesson. Twitter itself is a very useful tool used in the right way but for some reason it's become a platform for endless & pointless debate, constantly looping.
jamesedwards

Dallas wrote:
Euler wrote:
It's specifically that they haven't won a majority in 50 years outside of Blair.
Dallas

jameegray1 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:28 pm
Dallas wrote:
Euler wrote:
It's specifically that they haven't won a majority in 50 years outside of Blair.
Thanks for clarifying, it's been a long and eventful 24hrs and I just happened to partially catch it by listening to question time in the background while reading the forum.
jamesg46

So to come to a conclusion, how did you all do at trading the election?
jamesg46

I'll go first, I lost 80p 🤣 because I did exactly what Euler said earlier on in the thread, I took a position on what I thought may happen and not what is actually happening.
weemac

I broke even, backing no-majority at 48 and then scratching it when the Blyth result came in.

Re the Twitter nonsense, it's not so long since a time where if you wanted your idiotic, self-serving views to be heard by others, you had to go to Hyde Park Corner on a Sunday morning with a stepladder and start shouting your nonsense at whoever was passing by. Nowadays you have a ready audience of thousands from your own living room at any time of day or night. I suppose it isn't surprising that it's most likely the former Hyde Park loonie types who make the most of this new found freedom.

I used to dip into Twitter-world, but got sick of all the garbage and dumped it. I recommend that to anyone who wishes to preserve their sanity.
jamesg46

weemac wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:57 pm
I broke even, backing no-majority at 48 and then scratching it when the Blyth result came in.

Re the Twitter nonsense, it's not so long since a time where if you wanted your idiotic, self-serving views to be heard by others, you had to go to Hyde Park Corner on a Sunday morning with a stepladder and start shouting your nonsense at whoever was passing by. Nowadays you have a ready audience of thousands from your own living room at any time of day or night. I suppose it isn't surprising that it's most likely the former Hyde Park loonie types who make the most of this new found freedom.

I used to dip into Twitter-world, but got sick of all the garbage and dumped it. I recommend that to anyone who wishes to preserve their sanity.
I've become reasonably good at controlling and aknowliging my behaviour or mood but yeah otherwise I agree!

Return to “Political betting & arguing”