General Election 2019 (UK)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Lutruwita

Marxist McDonnell blaming Brexit. What a dud.
Euler

Aarondewit wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:56 am
It's clear the extremity of policies didn't appeal to many including traditional Labour voters. Will be interesting to see how Labour reacts to that. Whether they reform, or just dig in.
Euler

I think one thing we learnt last night, is that social media isn't a good proxy for the wider vote.
Naffman

Euler wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:40 am
I think one thing we learnt last night, is that social media isn't a good proxy for the wider vote.
It was the same on here as well
Lutruwita

Euler wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:37 am
Aarondewit wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:56 am
It's clear the extremity of policies didn't appeal to many including traditional Labour voters. Will be interesting to see how Labour reacts to that. Whether they reform, or just dig in.
The problem for labour is that they've really split into two parties - New Labour and the more far-left momentum sect. I'm not sure how that's reconcilable in the short-term. The fact that only Blair has won a majority for Labour in nearly 50 years is surely a hint...

It's interesting how Australian Labor were considered risky and radical and rejected this year, yet in many ways the Conservatives are to the left of Australian Labor.
Lutruwita

Also, with Scotland seemingly dead for Labour for decades, the path towards majority government is clearly more difficult for Labour than it was a decade ago.
wearthefoxhat

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:03 am
Just heard the Momentum spokeslady say Labour policies didn't lose the election, Brexit won it! Aparently people would have voted for Labour's policies if it wasn't for Brexit.

Will the snowflakes want GE2?

Well it's 2-0. They say it's a scoreline notoriously hard to defend.....

Gotta say, the Exit Poll was extremely accurate....again! Prediction; Cons 368 v Lab 202 (Actual 364 v L203) With St Ives still to come.

Most shocking result was Lord Buckethead beating Count Binface in Bojo's constitituency..

Who said politics was boring...
Dallas

What a night that was, though from a trading perspective all over in most markets once those exit poll's came in so I didn't do that well from the main markets
dragontrades

vote share2001-2019.JPG
The Tories consistently gaining votes over the past 14yrs including 9 in government is an amazing achievement.
Lab average vote share from Corbyn's elections is actually in line with previous years.
Hard to see where Lab go from here. I think you can discount anybody from the right of the party from the next leader market unless the left fail to unite around a single candidate and split the vote, for example between RBL and Angela Rayner. RBL seems a big price.
https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/p ... .120629096

Next election could be troublesome for Labour with LibDems running on a manifesto to re join the EU could take remainers away from Lab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superfrank

Epic night. I enjoyed every minute. Nice markets too.

No sympathy for the losers I'm afraid. A good summary by Andrew Lilico:
The battle to prevent Brexit is over. It failed. It was the most scandalous, anti-democratic, reactionary movement since the opposition to the Great Reform Bill of the 1830s.

It trampled on our constitutional traditions. It broke the Conservative Party into pieces. It left over 17 million people with the Establishment openly declaring them mentally and morally deficient, incapable and unworthy of making democratic decisions. It was a disgrace and shamed Britain before the world.

Also defeated is the movement to neuter Brexit, by keeping us in the EU’s customs union and having us follow the EU’s laws and trade policy. That project of Theresa May, Philip Hammond, many civil servants and much of the Labour front bench, is bankrupt.

When we leave, we will truly leave the EU’s legal jurisdiction. We will make our own laws, our own new trade deals, our own new geopolitical partnerships.

The movement to keep us in the EU will doubtless hobble on, reinventing itself as a re-join movement. But it will be as irrelevant as the Jacobites after 1746. History has overtaken it.
sionascaig

superfrank wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:59 pm

The battle to prevent Brexit is over. It failed. It was the most scandalous, anti-democratic, reactionary movement since the opposition to the Great Reform Bill of the 1830s.

It trampled on our constitutional traditions. It broke the Conservative Party into pieces. It left over 17 million people with the Establishment openly declaring them mentally and morally deficient, incapable and unworthy of making democratic decisions. It was a disgrace and shamed Britain before the world.

Also defeated is the movement to neuter Brexit, by keeping us in the EU’s customs union and having us follow the EU’s laws and trade policy. That project of Theresa May, Philip Hammond, many civil servants and much of the Labour front bench, is bankrupt.

When we leave, we will truly leave the EU’s legal jurisdiction. We will make our own laws, our own new trade deals, our own new geopolitical partnerships.

The movement to keep us in the EU will doubtless hobble on, reinventing itself as a re-join movement. But it will be as irrelevant as the Jacobites after 1746. History has overtaken it.
Did they not spot what happened in Scotland. Probably not as they have no interest in it whatsoever...
Archery1969

sionascaig wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:35 pm
superfrank wrote:

Did they not spot what happened in Scotland. Probably not as they have no interest in it whatsoever...
They not interested and Scotland can’t have a vote to leave without Westminster approval first.
Naffman

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:51 pm
sionascaig wrote:
superfrank wrote:

They not interested and Scotland can’t have a vote to leave without Westminster approval first.
Scotland going to keep having a vote till they get it right?
sionascaig

Naffman wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:02 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:51 pm
sionascaig wrote:

Scotland going to keep having a vote till they get it right?
==> Think it will just be a matter of time.... I'd hope you would respect "the will of the people" & the extremely clear message they delivered to westminster or is it just a one way thing.

==> Didn't the "remain" parties capture a larger share of the vote than the leave parties... may have misheard that on the news?
Jukebox

sionascaig wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm
==> Didn't the "remain" parties capture a larger share of the vote than the leave parties... may have misheard that on the news?
Are you counting the Labour voters as all remainers? - the Labour manifesto pledge was to negotiate a deal and put it to the electorate - you have to allow that at least some Labour leave voters hoped they would be good to their word.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”